Distributor Search

Guest Diamond Jim

Guest Diamond Jim

Hi All, I'm trying to find a cross referance chart or any other information for a Auto-lite distributor. These are the numbers on the label - "IGB-4055C 4N" It is installed on a 30s vintage flathead Hercules engine "JXA". I'm thinking it was probabally used on other autos or trucks of the era but have had no luck in finding one or finding a suitable replacement or parts

post-64664-143138128419_thumb.jpg

Boy you sure have a tough one to trace down, I went through my Shurhit 1942 ignition part catalog and on Pg 110 they show Distributor IGB4055C as used on 1931-33 Diamond T trucks models 210; 216; 225; 240; 260; 310; 316; 325; 350 & 375. I glanced through the whole truck section and find no other company listing that number. There were IGB-4055 then B; C; D; versions listed under all those Diamond T models.

Stude8

Guest Diamond Jim

Thanks all. Stude8 I would say your reserarch is correct and you've hit my model right on the nose...it is a 1932 Diamond-T, model 210FF. Judging from the tag on the inside firewall it is about a 2.5 ton model. I have a note sent to M&M Surplus (info@mandmsurplus.com) in NY who is suppose to deal in vintage parts. I guess because it is rare it will make finding one that much more special.... smilz... I've also got a Warner T9-1G or T9-LG not sure transmission connected to this Hercules JXA engine! I wonder if the tranny is unique as well??? I think it is a 4 speed?? Fortunetly all the running gear looks in working order....aside from the distributor rotor which is missing the center spring contact... Thanks again... The attached picture is what I'm shooting for....but I have a long long way to go.....

post-64664-143138128858_thumb.jpg

Guest Diamond Jim

Stude8, The distributor cap number says "IGB31" is this also unique to this distributor alone??? If not, would it provide an alternate rotor and points by following the cap number??? I'm realitivly new to disecting a distributor so sorry for all the questions... Jim

Jim

I looked at the listings in the Shurhit catalog again and they show the OEM part number for your distributor IGB4055 cap is IGB-1031 (Shurhit IC-33);

the rotor is IGB-1002 (Shuhit ID-18);

points are Autolite IGP-3028A *Set number; the set is comprised of Arm #IGP-3028 and screw point IB-24 or IGP-33. (Shurhit set No 37, parts are arm IA-42 and point No IB-12).

These numbers should allow any parts dealer to cross refer his inventory to what you need.

Points were used by many other vehicles, Auburn, Chrysler, Desoto, Dodge, Hudson, some Packards, Studebaker and Willys in the 1934-1942 period.

Rotor was used by many of the same above plus many marine users Chris Craft, Dodge, Falcon, Gray, Kedrmath, Lathrop, Palmer etc.

Cap was again many of above, the Shurhit book I have is 1942 but from the photo it looks to me to be the same small diameter 6 cyl cap Studebaker used into the 1950's on Champion models.

Stude8