Vinyl Upholstery question

Guest abh3usn

Guest abh3usn

I'm considering making door panels for my MG mainly to avoid paying $700+ for a new set! What generally is the standard for automotive vinyl ? I'm talking about specs you see on the upholstery sites such as yard weight and thickness of material ? Or are they the same thing? Or does it matter as long as it's automotive grade ? I'm restoring a convertible so it should be UV resistant as well. Thanks.

-Steve

Guest bkazmer

It should be uV resistant and technically should pass FMVSS302 flame spread, but I'd make sure it's on a scrim (woven fabric base) for stability. Boat upholstery is a good bet.

Hello Steve, you probably have a Jo Ann Fabric store in town, go take a look at their vinyl. They should have a selection, some is cheap but some is OK, and this way you can see the merchandise. They often have 50% off sales too.

It is unlikely to be just like your original though.

Here's a link to a discussion on this very topic on the 6-Pack (Triumph TR6 club) web site. It includes photos and descriptions of a TR6 and a Spitfire where this was done.

http://www.6-pack.org/sixpack/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=11987&sid=f2aa8a2c10586bb143f9fed3a25aeb07

BTW, what MG model are you doing? $700.00 seems a bit high for door panels. The Roadster Factory sells excellent MGB door panels for between $369 & $299 a pair. I have 2 sets of their TR6 panels and can vouch for them being of top quality and indistinguishable from factory panels. Also Moss Motors sells door panels for all the MG sports cars for similar prices.

Interior Trim Panels: Interior Trim Panel Kits, MGB Roadsters, B 1977-80 Ghn5 Car Numbers B Interior Trim Panel Hardware--mgb B Roadsters B :(page 24)

MossMotors.com - Restoration Parts And Accessories For British Cars

Look in your yellow pages for an upholstery supply store. They will have the correct boat and car vinyl, also they will have the correct nylon thread. Do not use regular cotton upholstery thread, it will rot in the sun and your upholstery will come apart at the seams.

You will need a heavy duty sewing commercial sewing machine, a regular machine will not sew the thick vinyl. But you should be able to make your panels for 1/10 what they want to charge for them.