Treated Leather Pics

Guest LouZ

Here are just a couple of pics from that 16V I cleaned up This was really badly worn and exposed leather. If you can search back I wrote a complete "How-To" using Leatherique. I think it was under the title of 16V leather Lou

post-49821-143138127391_thumb.jpg

post-49821-143138127395_thumb.jpg

post-49821-143138127399_thumb.jpg

Guest ImperialNorth

Looks very nice, I will have to try to find that article you wrote, Will the ginger come out as well? The lighter colour might fade quicker?

I do not believe there will be any difference in the colors. What everyone call dye, is in fact just a type of paint, This is a multi step procedure, While you are searching for my writings, go to www.leatherique.com & check it out.

Good luck, Lou

Guest ImperialNorth

Lou, you did a posting on May 10 2009, I think that is the one you referred to. Thanks I will keep that in my TC binder to refer to if and when I find my car.

• 3 weeks later...

Pics look pretty good Lou. Was thinking of purchasing this product to treat parts of my '89 ginger interior. You mention it's more like a 'paint', that sits on the surface rather than absorbing (which would make sense). It didn't smell like latex paint at all, did it ? ;) How do you think this will hold up on the seats?? Gotta figure they'rte going to see the most abuse.

It is Water Borne, or water soluable, but no latex smell to me. The original leather had no penetration.

Almost the complete exposed surfaces of the original were showing thru to the tan hide natural color. This was due to excessive exposure to the California sun and other elements. The original owners almost never put the top up, or on. It was a sport convertible to be used that way. That is why at only 48,000 miles I had to do the job I did. I don't expect it to ever wear out now.. Lou

Guest ImperialNorth

Is there enough product in one of Leatherique kits to do the seats and console. My car has some minor cracking and is worn on the sides like so many are. So I would need the crack filler as well as the dye etc. How did you order your materials?

Guest My TC Toy

Glen,

There is no 'crack filler' as you indicated. Once the leather cracks all you can do is apply colour to the crach to hide it and try to rejuvinate the dry leather. Mix the acrylic paint to match the leather colour, add in the conditioner and apply. The most tedious part of the process is mixing the colour, remembering it may dull out a little when you mix in the conditioner. When I did my seats I used Lexol leather conditioner. I used the small paint bottles I found at a dollar store to keep the cost down, you don't need a whole lot and the cost is right

Good luck

Bob

Hey Guys,

I wrote a complete step by step, for everyone's benefit. This was so All could benefit. Just a quick recap.

I buy this stuff by the gallon If you go on the website Leatherique.com you can see all the different products, sizes etc. 3 coats of Conditioner 3 days of HEAT drying between coats. 2 washes with Pristene Clean, sand with 400/600 wet sandpaper, using Conditioning Agent as "wet". dry for 3 days, fill with a couple of coats of Filler, Finish sand filler, wash all off with Conditioning Agent. Coat with Leatherique Dye, using a microfiber polishing pad, to coat it and blend it. You may have tint the final coat to get it exactly right. after multiple days of drying. buff with a towel......