Carlisle and Hersey Still The Same??

grubin

Question for all:

It has been almost 10 years that I attended both Carlisle and Hersey swap meets. I would like to resume but I read on some net pages that they just are not the same for different reasons

I would like your opinions on this.It is still worth the trip?

In the past Carisle was packed with vendors and Hersey ..well if you needed it all you had to do was find it there

Thanks gary

Hershey is still the same, but Hersey is another event?:D Ok, now that the joking is over, no they are not the same. Nothing stays the same forever. Some things are better, some things may not be but both events still are extremely well attended and well worth the trip. A few hundred thousand people can't be wrong!

Never been to Hershey so can't comment there.

I still enjoy the Carlisle trips and usually come home with something, but the days of digging thru space after space of NOS boxed parts are long gone. What's left of that stuff is now on ebay.

This year's Fall Carlisle trip netted me nothing in the way of spare parts, but I managed to add to the collectible dish and ads collection!

Found:

a "Merry Oldsmobile" plate produced 1950 in Lansing

a 5-pc place setting of GM cafeteria dishes (found two more, but like I told my bud, one set is a display, three means I'll start assembling a service for 6)

a 1929 Olds ad from Collier's magazine depicting the car at Yellowstone, great colors

1962 and 1963 Ninety Eight Life centerfold ads

1942 Olds ad showing a Curved Dash being fixed in a blacksmith shop and touting the Oldsmobile dealers' modern service in 1942.

All the ads are artwork, not photography, and I've already had them framed. Once I figure out this digital camera, I'll try to post some pics of them.

Dug around in a Gettysburg antique shop and found three more display plates with a CDO, a teens Ford, and an '00's Cadillac.

The clutter just goes from the garage to the house...

I have attended both shows for a number of years and still attend several Carlisle events and Hershey. As Steve mentioned they are not the same as years past but I still enjoy attending them, especially if the weather is nice. Come March I will be looking forward to Spring Carlisle.

Hello Gary, if you haven't been to Hershey in 10 years you will be in for a few changes. The swap meet is all on pavement, no more mud. The car show is on grass and somewhat away from the swap fields. The car corral is on a curved road bracketing a swap field, not at a remote location like it may have been your last time. Just plan to do your swap meeting Wednesday and Thursday as vendors seem to be leaving early on Friday and Saturday.

Carlise was started to allow the sale of late model parts that AACA wouldn't allow in the Hershey Swap Meet. You could find some early stuff at Carlisle and we used to go in the early days but stopped in 1978, just not worth the trip. I'll always be in Hershey, haven't missed one since my first in 1969. The 2009 event was fun, but the internet is were the action is. I unloaded all the heavy stuff nobody would pay to have shipped. Very hard to find worthwhile stuff underpriced to flip on the internet. I think a lot of others feel and work the same. Its raining here today, and I'm listing stuff on the internet, days of the Swap Meets as we knew them are over.

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Guest lasalle38

I notice the turn out of vendors is not there anymore at either event. A shame what the internet and eay has done to our hobby. Still a great time and well worth the trip.

Guest Siegfried

I agree with NCT, the ham and cheese is superb, but you just can't beat Hershey for the many varieties of 'Swap Meat Sausage'. Just remember the TUMS!

On the serious side, Hershey is still the place to go for everything you'll never find anywhere else, even E-Bay. And where else can you meet some many old car folks ?

Steve, summed it up the best. Nothing remains the same, but both events are worth the travel. I've missed 3 Hershey's since 1967. And I worked for Carlisle as their Marketing Director for close to 9 years for most of the 1980's going to California in 1990, and I had not missed a year prior to that from when the Miller's created the place in 1974 in responce to AACA restrictions prior. <P> I missed going to Carlisle for about 10 years while I was in California having only enough time to make it to Hershey, always my first priority on my antique car travel budget. I think I went back sometime in the very late 1990's and told a couple friends I was going, I got the old "it isn the same, only sock vendors, no car stuff, greedy owners drove out the car guys" . The same critique I always heard for years prior to going away. Anyway, my point is...when I did go I found what was the same far out weighed what was not, and Carlisle today is still a mecca for car guys of a later model bent, and Hershey a little older demographic car group. Guess what? Still plenty to see and do for call, both shows are great. Hershey can't be truly replaced even right down the road, and Carlisle more commerically run makes the experience more pleasant, with less rules. So, these days, I never miss a Spring Carlise or a Fall Hershey, filling as I can find time with some of Carlisle's specialty shows, like Ford, and MoPar, and their new auction series. The last two years much to my wife's chagrin, I've made it to both Fall Carlisle and Hershey, while I am still young enough to walk it all without the aid of a "power chair/scooter". <If I miss Hershey, check the morgue!

I've never been to Carlisle, so can't really compare. I always wanted to go to Hershey and finally made it for the first time in 2004. Went back in 05, 06, 08 and this year. Compared to the other years, it appears to me that attendance and exhibitors were definitely down in 08, a little better this year. I blamed the economy and gas prices but maybe that's not all of it.

Guest cigarsmoker

I made the trek this year to the spring Car lisle and the Hershey show in the fall for the first time. I think its all what you are looking for. For me the Carlisle show was fun but it was mainly high performance/modified muscle car stuff. Hershey on the other hand was more classic original equipment things. I enjoyed them both but I will be attending Hershey next year not Carlisle. Oh and I own a 1957 Cadillac. I found nothing at Car lisle and plenty at Hershey.

John