Sign in to follow this  
DaveAspi

1917 D44 Runabout, 1917 D45, 1923-41

Interesting find today! While researching parts for my 23-4-39, I came across a guy selling the following Buicks:

Wish I had my camera, and it was not light enough in the barn for my cellphone, so sorry no pictures

1917 D44 Roadster/Runabout. Engine# 287289 presented as original, complete and with spare parts. Frame tag #289436- no rust! Exterior in great shape and original. No interior floor boards or instruments, but dash is in tact. Been sitting for a long time in dry storage- uncovered, so very dirty.

1917 D45, could not get to the engine, but visually the best and most complete of the lot.

1923-6-41, engine# 987170- apart but boxes labeled with all parts.

Frame# 945855. Fenders removed from car but are all there. Wood spoked wheels in good shape, but no tires- sitting on floor jacks. No rust, but again- quite dirty sitting in dry storage uncovered. Interior is all there, and in quite good shape, no rips or tears even in the headliner. Has 3 rollup shades, which all work (material in various stages of distress though). Interior fabric is of a red volour (original?). He also has many spare parts for this as well.

As much as I would love to take on another project, I can't do it.

Anyone interested? All 3 would be great projects, none are running. I found them in a little town just south of San Francisco called San Juan Bautista.

Dave

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Interesting find was the person selling the 3 as a lot or individually??

per the 23 yes I believe the red velour was original for the interior

He was selling them individually but mentioned he was open to a package deal His name is Bill, and they are all in his very "well packed" warehouse. One of my concerns would be- how the heck he would get them out? There are tons of antique furniture as well as other cars in his barn. But the Buicks are a good find, and surly worth the effort to someone. Give him a call, ask him to take pictures. Again, I was without a camera.

Bill 831-801-7375. Tell him you heard about them from Dave via the antique Buick site.

The roadster is for sale $10,000 but not the 17 tourer. I didn,t ask about the 23. he said it would take about two days to get it out. Asked about getting photoes, he said it would be too difficult but if somebody from AACA could get there they could take photoes. Said there were boxes of spares in the loft, I,m looking for a 17,18,19, roadster but am from Australia.

The logistics of getting a car in pieces over here?

Not sure if 10G's is a good price or not for a nonrunning 1917. Like I said, exterior is very dirty, but straight and rust free. Engine seemed to be intact, and like he stated, he does have boxes and boxes of spare parts, but there is no floor or interior.

He is not kidding about 2 days to dig it out. It may be easier to open the roof and lift it out if you ask me. The barn is PACKED with various odds, ends and antiques. It's quite unfortunate that he can't offer pictures or that the other 17 is not for sale, because it sure hasn't been moved or touched in years- decades, kind of a waste. But seems like 'ol Bill has some issues with letting go of his possessions.

Guess it was worth a phone call though, maybe another local member will be up that way- San Jose and check it out and give it a good home.

Dave