1931 Packard 833 468 Coupe

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys. Can't believe it has been over 15 years since I did the restoration.

I have parts on it that still needs to be worked on. Bumpers needing  chrome plating, have the leaf springs sitting in the garage waiting for a friend that has a lift and free from work to help me install the springs. Also need to look into the alignment. Front tires have excessive wear on them.

The Packard will be passed down to one if my nephews, that is when the time comes for me to hand over the keys. Hopefully they will keep the legacy going.

Edited by Tom M (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Good morning
Friend picked up the Packard with his trailer yesterday. We got hit with high winds and a heavy down pour on the the way back to his house. Here he is blowing off the water

20240504_195121.jpg.7b7f759c245490fa4e77ae173c1c27ff.jpg

20240504_195114.jpg.5663e68adb5fd945bb39e82c7111b878.jpg20240504_215744.jpg.f4e480fb27f41d6a70bb43074bda692f.jpg

He will be installing the new leaf springs for me. I will help as much as I can.

I should of taken some more photos.
From the back you can see it sure does lean to the passenger side. Once we got it dried off he raised it up we got under and sure enough the old spring are flat waving etc.

I am going to ask him to take some extra photos for me before disassemble it.

I hope the new springs will straighten out the camber issue on the front. Not sure the mileage since I installed the new tires but the front are really shafered. Going to need to replace them once we get camber, toe-in etc. dialed back in.

Have a great Sunday

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
My friend working on the Packard leaf springs sent me these pictures
Click to see original Image in a new window

Click to see original Image in a new window

I would say the spring and shackle bolts have seen better days. A little worn after 93 years.

He mention after putting the new springs in (temporarily bolted up) the Packard had raise up at least an inch or two. 😁

He did mention the holes for the Bijur Lubrication system were plugged with gunk.

When I restored the car I did pull all he lines and metering pins and cleaned them out. However I did not drop the springs which I should have at that time and did a more better job of cleaning the holes etc.

Thanks goodness I am having him tackle this project. He had to make a special tool to get the front bolts out for the rear springs. He said with the running board and side skirt in the way he could not get his air/hammer chisel in there to knock the bolt out with out having to pull the running boards and side skirt.

He is pipe fitter by trade and very smart and creative in making tools etc...

I will need to call Max Merritt to see if they have the bolts in stock. My friend did do some searching and found a place that has them but their prices for just the bolts is more then the whole Bolt and bushings kit from Max. Sure hope Max has them in stock.

O and another thing the right front tire went flat. :(

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Hi Tom,

I have thoroughly enjoyed following this thread, and also your earlier one describing the rest of the restoration.  

I have a 526 coupe that I am slowly bringing back to life. Among other problems, it has a severe list to the passenger side, so I plan to replace the springs this winter.  Did you replace all four springs? (I'm guessing all four should be replaced, as if the right hand side ones are really bad, the let hand side ones are not likely to be as-new. However, my wallet says just replace the r.h.s. and see how it looks and handles.)  

I wonder why both cars had the worst problem on the r.h.s. That seems not likely to be coincidence. The only explanation I can come up with is that the side facing the road edge got a more severe beating than the driver's did. I'd appreciate your's and others' thoughts.

Anyway, thanks for a great thread and pictures of a beautiful car.

Edited by pmhowe
neneeded a hyphen between "as" and "new" for clarity. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

@pmhowe,

Thanks. Was a long journey back during the restoration and seems it never ends 🤪

I understand what you mean by wallet. I should have replaced the springs during the restoration. If I had to do it again and knew what I know now they would have been replaced back then.

Yes all four springs are being replaced. Placed an order with Max Merritt yesterday for their Leaf Spring Shackle Kit. My buddy has the springs all apart now and recommended as others have that it makes no sense to just replace a few bolt (he did say one did break as he was trying to press it out). I am sure glad I did not tackle this project. I thought I would be able to just do it in the driveway on a a nice spring weekend.

If I where you and just my opinion just bite your wallet and replace them all now. Because done the road you will regret not doing them now. As you can see what I am going through now. Plus with the rise in prices of the springs, shackle bolts and tire replacement (which I will need to buy new ones for the fronts as they have worn out because of bad alignment) and other issues it could cause like springs breaking, shackles etc.

Yes I believe you are right that the Passenger side does take more abuse since there seems to be more pot holes, the crown in the road that pounds the heck out of them.

Good luck with your 525 and please share some photos of your progress. If you haven't maybe start a bring back to Life a 525 Packard.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Update on the installation of the leaf springs. They are all installed 

Rear leafs being installed

20240608_191630.jpg.124da337473c9e7e376b8757575605d2.jpg

Fronts installed

20240608_191909.jpg.8da6162cc46ffe70c0fd69acc1cff54b.jpg

20240608_191922.jpg.200843eef5d98818f48004a3eb014a6e.jpg

Here are all the bolts that we took out.

20240608_231902.jpg.9203a1287319481910f91786847e544a.jpg

My helper

20240608_152420.jpg.c350ae31c48324daf15791a760387eb0.jpg

Here are some photos of the front tyre wear 

20240608_233527.jpg.9072f610abb9b3622fc3e342575e517c.jpg

20240608_233534.jpg.9d5c42bbcb2636a15e9d7976ab1902f0.jpg

After the install of the new springs the car raised up about two and a half inches.

We did not take it out for a shake down since it was late and the passenger front is flat. Four new tubes and two new Tyres are on order.

Once we take it out for the shake down we will pull it back into my buddies garage and check and tight down all the hardware.

Also with the new springs it seams to have corrected the really bad camber. But will see after shake down.

Sure glad I didn't tackle this project.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Mike,

Yes I would say so too.

What we found was most the metering point holes for Bijur oiling system were plugged with dried up oil/grease and rust.

My friend cleaned all these points out by blasting with some cleaner and picking out the crude. When I restored the car I had pull all the lines sprayed cleaner in them and blew them out. I do remember spraying cleaner in the metering points but guess that wasn't good enough to unclog them.

Hopefully now with new bolts and the holes cleaned the Bijur system will work  oil these points. We will see once I get some miles put on.

• Like 2

Before photos of the Leaf springs

You can see how flat they are.

The eyes and bushing on some are oblong.

IMG_4614.jpg

IMG_4615.jpg

IMG_4616.jpg

IMG_4617.jpg

IMG_4618.jpg

IMG_4619.jpg

IMG_4620.jpg

IMG_4621.jpg

IMG_4622.jpg

IMG_4635.jpg

• Like 5

I had some ash left over from the restoration and had given it to the father of my friend that did the leaf springs. I told him do whatever he wants with it.

This is what he did. I was not aware he was going to make this sculpture of my Packard out of a piece of the ash.

20240610_173230.jpg.2511bd6b21b10858e8ff074e3352e558.jpg

He is very talented wood carver. Here are some other pieces he has made (however not out the ash I gave him)

20240608_141245.jpg.c964e065e5e0d9d31cb20cd6242ad64b.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Tom,

It is great to see the progress you are making with the Packard.

I eagerly await learning how the new springs and new shackle bolts influence the driving experience. I’ll bet it will change the ride slightly and the handling dramatically.

You mentioned that the new springs raised the car about 2 ½”. On my car, the running board height is about 16” on the driver’s side, and an inch or so lower on the passenger side. Adding a few more inches makes that first step a big one!

I’d also be interested in what influenced your decision to go with new springs rather than having the old ones re-tempered. I’ll face that decision this coming winter. Also, did your friend experience any difficulties in fitting the new springs? Does he have any tips on installation procedure?

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

@pmhowe,

Answers to some of your questions

We did not check running board height before the springs were installed.

He did however just went out to his garage and measured the running board

Drivers side Running board

Bottom 14.25"

Top 16.5"

Pass side untrue. Tire flat&bottle jack holding it up for now

He took measurement at the rear fender. Not sure what they are off hand just remembered him saying 2-2/12" difference from old springs

For the re-arching

My question to my friend and response to you on this

I did do some research on the re-temper/re-arch, most said best to just replace with new and I believe a cost savings to just but new. Plus as my friend showed me the Packard springs were way past being saved.

His response "Agreed if they all looked like the few in the middle I'd say re temp and reuse or reuse however bad count was high best to just replace"

Hopefully others here on the forum will chime in on re-temp vs new

De-Installation

Friends response

I'd say soak bolts soak bolts soak bolts with a good penetration oil. Like Kroil

Have a good air chisel to hammer out the old bolts.

Removal is do both top and bottom (knocking them out of the spring and top shackle) at same time on shackles vs trying to press the bolt out of the shackle in place one at a time.  We found it easier (if you want to say this task is easy) that way and then take to shackle to the press with the old bolts still install and press them out or take them to a vise and hit them with your largest sledge hammer (no all kidding aside I think it was a 5lb deep blow hammer).

Installing new bolts 

We found after pressing in one sett is to place the bolts in the freezer. It made pressing them into the shackle much easier.

Make sure you have the shackle bolt (flat of head on bolt) lined up correctly with the shackle.

IMG_4634.jpg.86cae803556d1a7931b417c0adcfde22.jpg

I am not a technical writer as you can see. More of get your hands dirty and get at it. Well not all of the grunt work this time.

Have to send a big thank you out to my friend and his friend that help me out on this. I could have not done this with out their help.

• Like 6

Thanks for the information. I was thinking along the lines of replacing the springs myself. However, from the way you described it, it looks like a job that is beyond my capabilities. I will have to start looking about for a shop that does that sort of thing. Again, I really appreciate the information. And, of course, I really look forward to hearing how it drives.

Posted (edited)

West,

We couldn't figure put the purpose either. And also couldn't find any mention of it in the service manual.

You take the nut off on the other end and it slides out towards the side of where you have the arrow pointing. Does not have any type of clamping pressure whatsoever.

Curious also the purpose 🤔 

This from AACA Forum member Allen Strong:

think of the rear spring bracket as a ladder, and the two rungs on the ladder, support the side rails and give it strength at the top and the bottom. The spring pin is really designed to, carry the weight of the spring and not necessarily support the strength of the shackle bracket . There is an incredible amount of sideways thrust placed on the shackle bracket during turns and bumps. The additional pin at the bottom at strength to this ladder.

• Like 2

Nice car.....be sure to do a total and correct alignment as it's certain to be WAY OFF. Most people don't bother and after replacing the springs it's highly likely to have a death wobble from having been aligned with the flat springs. Been there, done that. 

IMG_6035.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

New tubes and tires came in. Quicker then expected.

20240621_201636.jpg.cffbe30903742da855c19638d000f0b2.jpg

This tube was from the passenger front which had a leak. Wonder why ?

20240621_201648.jpg.be331968d733f568ded61b4e784aa4c6.jpg

The brass stem pulled right out. Just like the rear a few years back.

20240621_211119.jpg.3467b51d036753ac63dee43a220fa9e0.jpg

We got two installed last night hoping get to the other two today and get the Packard running and take it out for a shake down run and pull it back in garage to snug up the leaf spring bolts and check alignment.

• Like 10

Remove the stickers before you drive it. Or they will be pieces of them on the tire for a thousand miles. 

• Like 3

New pearly whites are on

20240622_161447.jpg.23bf33162acc038f8470a27e5ba85b84.jpg

20240622_161535.jpg.6d3a3294bfa2fd7dbbe44ec5dbef0693.jpg

20240622_161506.jpg.cba2d1f2ee6d768badf7f8ef08c89679.jpg

It sits so much more level now.

Bumpers need some alignment 🤪

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

Drive home

20240623_133622.jpg.0a6e1c3911e6b3ba5494ebb39708999f.jpg

Home before wash and wax

20240623_135217.jpg.3c354b4706285f2384d0e70a909730cd.jpg

After

20240623_183759.jpg.b6a4beaf31dcd4bb43fdc948dd79bde6.jpg20240623_183851.jpg.38895d0dc24ee397a75128b0ff9e1778.jpg

Had a mishap on way home. I thought I had filled it up before it going in for the springs. Got about half way home car start to slow down and died. Luckily I was able to get off onto a side farm road. Took a look in tank sure enough no gas. 😵‍💫 And it looks kinda funky inside. But didn't have a flashlight to really tell. I am wondering now if the sealer has gone bad. Like Matt's car has. Will need to keep a close eye on the glass fuel filter for gunk.

Also it get hot when I got to the first stop sign and it pucked same antifreeze. Seems everytime I come to a stop the temp gauge would peg. Once rolling temp drop make down to normal.  My brother was following me and when pulled over he goes that thing has some speed. I said my speedo said we were doing 50 he goes o no more like 60. Maybe that why it pucked antifreeze I was pushing it to hard.

Borrowed some two 5 gallon cans from the friend that did the springs. Packard fired right up.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Have put around a 100 miles on the Packard since having the leaf springs installed and it starting to settle in. At first the ride was a little harsh but now that I have been putting some miles on it it's riding much softer.

Time to get back under and check all the bolts and torque.

Bryce is loving it

32 mile Sunday drive.

Resized_20240714_133109.jpeg.081238aac217dfac3a2b81f267390c85.jpeg

• Like 7

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the post. I have been waiting to learn how the ride changed. Did the installation of the new springs eliminate your alignment problem?

Phil