GMC rear end compatability question

Guest JWHboise

Guest JWHboise

I have a 1951 GMC (1/2 ton) pickup with a locked up rear end.

Does anyone know if a 1957 Chevy truck rear end interchange with this?

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

You will need the 1954 open drive shaft chunk or change to an open driveshaft trans...... T-5 works good, even better if yu can find one of the Van shift leavers It can be swung round to come out the original hole.

Good luck

OH Make sure the rear wheel cylinders are THE SAME DIA. !!!!

Guest Bob Call

I thought I responded to this last week but it's not here.

Anyway, 48 thru 54 GMC and Chevy 1/2 ton pickups have the same torque tube drive rear axel. That is GMC Series 100 and Chevy Series 3100. The 1955 first series pickups are acutally 54 models carried over until the new second series went into production so the 1st series also has the torque tube drive line. Trucks with Hydramatic tansmissions used a different rear axel than those with manual transmissions.

• 9 months later...
Guest 1hooligan

Is your truck a six bolt pattern? If so, you can exchange a rear end out of a nisson pathfinder. It is the same chevy six bolt pattern, open drive shaft, and the corrrect 59 inches wide. You will have to cut a whole lot of brackets off. But depending if the pathfinder was stick shift or auto, they have great gear ratios for early chevys. Nisson baught the rights and patterns from gm in 1980, and continues to use them.