Sign in to follow this  
Bhigdog

I thought I would puke

All I can say is I am glad I dont show any of my vehicles in points shows that way I dont have to worry about loosing points with the wear and tear,mine are all drivers or 20 footers. I was suprised I got a trophy with the 37 a couple weeks ago and I did not have time to clean it up before the show.

junkyardjeff,

The point that Earl and I are making is that it is possible to have a correctly restored car that you drive, maintain, and still compete with in AACA judging successfully.

Earl does it with Buicks. I do it with a 1929 Model A Ford. The only thing that I can't do with the Model A is drive on Interstates. Earl, can certainly drive his Buicks on Interstates. Contrary to what some people believe, antique cars were made to be driven and still can be driven.

Matt, you can't say too many things bad about anybody. As a policeman you are too used to saying "Good Evening Sir, thank you for your permit, here is your ticket, have a wonderful day, Sir" haha

As for driving on the Interstate, I don't do that anymore unless I have to. Too many tractor trailer trucks throwing rocks on the Interstate. Also, with torque tube drive, and very few modern mechanics who know what to do with it, I don't see any sense in using up the few remaining NOS parts by driving to shows and tours a long distance away when I can trailer it there, with A/C in the Suburban and then drive it however much I need to do on the tour.

And, oh, this too. I'll bet nobody on that tour is having more fun doing it than Wayne is. He's liable to not fix the Essex just so he can have that much fun again the next time. Hahaha

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

I am just glad I dont have that headache trying to maintain a high point car,I am glad you guys can do it but I am not even going to try. I like nice cars but I wont ever get that fussy over show cars and I want no part of high point show cars as I like my drivers,life is too short to worry about stuff like that and you should be able to tell I am not a car show type person and more of a cruise in type.

To you it would be a headache. But to many it is like therapy without the couch. :rolleyes:

Sadly a little over a year ago we lost a very dear friend. He had the most beautiful 1912 Brass Model T. It was midnight blue with black fenders. Leather straps to hold down the top.

Doy would hand polish every piece of brass on that car every time it came back from being out. He had special handmade flannel lined covers made for all the brass pieces, and there were a lot of them.

His wife had many medical and mental issues until she passed away. That brass T, and the other two cars that he had, were his therapy. The stress of caring for her washed away as he worked on those cars. Especially "The Little Blue Jewel" as he called the brass T.

I get my therapy by scrouging the junkyards,swapmeets and tinkering with my cars and driving them and socializing at the cruise ins. I dont take it as seriously as some but I have a good time and so far have not needed to be insitutionalized.

Joe, one thing about this forum, it is open to other clubs who do have modified cars. We are not about to tell OCA or the Buick club that they cannot discuss engine swaps and the like. That is for them to decide.

Thanks for that clarification. I did not appreciate the distinction.

We as a club have always expressed what we believe in but no campaign to be "anti" to any other club's belief system. Kind of like worshipping in your own place but not finding fault with others who worship in a different way.

I think that's great. I am still mystified by those who feel the need to start these threads in the first place, however.