I thought I would puke

Bhigdog

I've finally seen it all. At a local show today there was a 1936 Cord STREET ROD!

The hood wasn't open but the wipers were gone. There was a wood/aluminum steering wheel, a new flat wood dash with new S/W gages, chrome wheels, velour seats, and a floor shift.

Then there was the perfectly sound 1937 Olds convertable, with rumble seat. In it was, of course, a small block Chevy, a floor shift with a skull knob, some kind of ersatz leather buckets, and a white paint job with all the margins painted pink.

It's only by the grace of God I didn't have a gun or I would be in jail right now.........Bob

Basically because two rare and beautiful cars were butchered, and I was so appalled by the fruitless carnage I had to get it off my chest and this seemed a likely place to find an understanding ear.

Seems pretty straight forward to me....................Bob

Bob,

My stand is to each his own. Cannot dictate to anyone what to do with their personal property. Must agree with Joe on this one.

Did you consider posting your issues on a Street Rod forum (gazzillion of them) to obtain their input. Would be interesting to say the least.

Regards,

Peter J.

Grow up, get a life, save your money and buy these unrestored cars yourself. Please post some photos of your cars for us to enjoy.:)

I've finally seen it all. At a local show today there was a 1936 Cord STREET ROD!..................

It's only by the grace of God I didn't have a gun or I would be in jail right now.........Bob

Bob,

My stand is to each his own. Cannot dictate to anyone what to do with their personal property. Must agree with Joe on this one.

Did you consider posting your issues on a Street Rod forum (gazzillion of them) to obtain their input. Would be interesting to say the least.

Regards,

Peter J.

Peter, of course any owner of any automobile can do as they please with said automobile. There is no disagreement there. In fact I don't see where there is any disagreement anywhere so I'm not sure what you are agreeing with.

What I was saying was that I was witness to two arguable works of art being destroyed and it both saddened and sickened me.

It made me feel a bit better to share my thoughts with a likely understanding group. Perhaps I was wrong.

And, before I'm called to task vis-a-vis the "gun" reference, it was pure hyperbole, I was certain everyone understood that.

As to asking what my point was. There was no point. Yeeesh..........Bob

I've always liked the Cords and read most of the for sale ads I run across (for 40 years). I have always wondered why there are so many out there that are stripped of most parts.

I am guessing the one you saw was one of those shells at some point. Not even a hotrodder would toss out a 36/7 Cord dashboard, to put in modern stuff.. IMO

Grow up, get a life, save your money and buy these unrestored cars yourself. Please post some photos of your cars for us to enjoy.:)

The best place to see and enjoy my cars would be at one of the AACA Grand Nat. shows, or perhaps the Meadow Brook or Radnor Hunt Concours..................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Are you sure it was not a reproduction body as I think they were made at one time,the one I seen at the show looked completely stock except for the latemodel pedals.

I suppose that's possible, Jeff. I'm far from a Cord expert but I don't think so. It was a four door. It would be very nice if that was the case though........Bob

There are alot of 36-37 cord shells out there. Believe it or not the guys in the ACD Club actually part them out. They are worth more in parts that they are as a whole.

In reference to building street rods. If the guy dosn't beat his wife, abuse his kids, or kick the dog, he can do what ever he wants to his car. It is an inanment object and he owns it. Besides, it makes our cars that much more valuable. Live and let live.

Since its a 4 door I doubt its a reproduction body and then its a good thing you did not see the convertible I seen,I think a reproduction convertible body had been made but since it had been modified I thought it was but everything looked original except for the late model pedals so I presumed the drivetrain was not original. I think the Cord 4 door body was used on another car after they quit producing them and could it been one of those,even though I modify my vehicles if I were to ever find one that I could actually afford I would try to sell it to someone who could do it some justice and play with the Fords,GMs and Mopars.

Since its a 4 door I doubt its a reproduction body and then its a good thing you did not see the convertible I seen,I think a reproduction convertible body had been made but since it had been modified I thought it was but everything looked original except for the late model pedals so I presumed the drivetrain was not original. I think the Cord 4 door body was used on another car after they quit producing them and could it been one of those,even though I modify my vehicles if I were to ever find one that I could actually afford I would try to sell it to someone who could do it some justice and play with the Fords,GMs and Mopars.

Yup! I sold a perfectly good stock 37 Buick buisness coupe to a guy that looked me in the eye and promised he wouldn't rod it. Now I see it driving around in hot green metallic paint, 14" alloy wheels, velour buckets etc etc etc.

It was his and he could do whatever he wanted, but it was like buying the Mona Lisa and then painting a moustache on it to make it look "Cool".................Bob

Peter, of course any owner of any automobile can do as they please with said automobile. There is no disagreement there. In fact I don't see where there is any disagreement anywhere so I'm not sure what you are agreeing with.

What I was saying was that I was witness to two arguable works of art being destroyed and it both saddened and sickened me.

It made me feel a bit better to share my thoughts with a likely understanding group. Perhaps I was wrong.

And, before I'm called to task vis-a-vis the "gun" reference, it was pure hyperbole, I was certain everyone understood that.

As to asking what my point was. There was no point. Yeeesh..........Bob

I had a thread on here 3-4 years ago ("Lost Souls") with nothing but photos of hundreds of Full Classics and very rare cars (all produced in runs of under 100, most under 20) that had been street rodded beyond salvage. Almost nobody here really cared then either.:(

There were at least 3 steel bodied Cords in that thread. They were probably the least rare and/or valuable cars in it.

I think the Cord 4 door body was used on another car after they quit producing them and could it been one of those,even though I modify my vehicles if I were to ever find one that I could actually afford I would try to sell it to someone who could do it some justice and play with the Fords,GMs and Mopars.

You're talking about Graham Hollywoods and Hupmobile Skylarks. I found more of them then I did Cords, and neither were ever reproduced.:mad: Judging from what I've seen online there are clearly many more street rodded examples of both then authentic versions left today.

There is a certain degree of perverse pleasure derived from making a piece of history into your history. The problem is, when you're gone so is the history, and these things become further modified by someone else (or scrap iron).

Edited by Dave@Moon
added last sentence, 1st paragraph (see edit history)

There are alot of 36-37 cord shells out there. Believe it or not the guys in the ACD Club actually part them out. They are worth more in parts that they are as a whole.

In reference to building street rods. If the guy dosn't beat his wife, abuse his kids, or kick the dog, he can do what ever he wants to his car. It is an inanment object and he owns it. Besides, it makes our cars that much more valuable. Live and let live.

Virtually every car is worth more in parts than as a whole. 400 point Packards and other Full Classics are rodded on a regular basis, although my gut feeling is that $4 gas may have slowed that a little for a while. I started the "Lost Souls" thread when I was parked at a show next to a Lincoln KB sedan that had been rodded out of a perfectly restored car (using a 460 Ford truck motor).

Several of the cars I documented in the thread were 1 of 1 produced. Saved by someone for 50+ years, and then lost to history as another sbc vessel.:eek:

NOTHING is invulnerable to the this fate. "Live and let live" indeed!:mad:

Edited by Dave@Moon (see edit history)

While I was looking for a four door 1930's car to install my orange engine, I came across an aluminum Rolls Royce that was modestly priced at about $8000. It was missing most of the nicer parts but I almost bought it for the name.

I’m sure that someone would have thought that I butchered that one too!

I do know someone who has a Cord 4 door body that will end up the same way but its incomplete and would cost way more then its worth to put back original,at least it will live on and did not get crushed so dont get too upset when you see a modified vehicle as some could have been closed to being turned into crap coming from China.

I'm sure there are cases where it was either the crusher or the street rodder type situation but my guess is it's usually a restorable car that's transmogrified into someone's personal statement.

Part of my revulsion at the two examples I cited were that both were very crudely done, both in design concept and execution. They were both exceedingly ugly. How sad..............Bob

I really do wish that those who bleat out the comment "It's their car they can do with it what they want" would shelve that statement, it's overused and abused. In all the time that I have been on this board and heard someone complain and/or berate someone for turning a classic into a pile of streetrod junk, I have never heard one of them say "they can't do that because I said so". We all agree it is their car to do with as they want. However once they do, it then falls to everyone else to comment either pro or con on the result, and that is their right to do. It all boils down to, "there are those to whom nothing is sacred". I once refused a sale of one of my cars because in talking to the prospective buyer, he indicated he was going to sub-frame a camaro under my 62 dart sedan. I told him to get lost and that if he wanted a camaro so bad, go out and buy a camaro. Also my wifes 51 Patrician(85 point car) was sold to some jerk who sub-framed a 70 chevelle 350 under it so he could have A/C. The car was butchered so bad it still does not run and the doors cannot be opened without a crow bar. My point is that sometimes if you are working with a field car it is easier to street rod it than to restore, but to chop up a highly restored car should rise to the level of sacrilige.

Just my 2 cents.

My point is that sometimes if you are working with a field car it is easier to street rod it than to restore, but to chop up a highly restored car should rise to the level of sacrilige.

Just my 2 cents.

Any car that's too expensive to restore properly is likely just as relatively expensive to street rod. Long ago it was discovered that you can buy a restored $15K car, part out the "old" stuff for $10K, save another $10K in prep and materials cost, and get the same street rod on the cheap (with a little up-front money). Ditto for a $65K car or a $200K car.

Many of these "field cars" are now coming from a field that is just across the street to the west of the Orange Field, about a half mile away from the Giant Center.:mad:

I really do wish that those who bleat out the comment "It's their car they can do with it what they want" would shelve that statement, it's overused and abused...

And I feel the same way about those who feel compelled to continually start anti-street-rod threads. There have been a lot of those in this forum lately, and none have ended well.

Let's try this from a different perspective. Like it or not, the old car hobby is shrinking as participants age. If street rod gets a younger person interested in the hobby, the second or third car may be a totally stock resto.

And I feel the same way about those who feel compelled to continually start anti-street-rod threads. There have been a lot of those in this forum lately, and none have ended well.

More abuse of other people's words. I think Bob did not start this thread to complain about street rods. I don't think anyone EVER has. To my taste there has NEVER been an anti-street rod thread on this forum.

This thread, and (I believe) every one before it, exists to bemoan HOW people have made specific street rods. If people can get on here and complain about poorly restored cars, or cars that are poorly cared for, or cars that are incorrectly repaired/painted/restored/upholstered/etc....., why the he!! can't people complain about cars that are street rodded in a destructive manner?:confused: Particularly when non-destructive methods exists to make wonderful street rods?:confused::confused:

If judging what people do with their old cars is beneath the dignity of this organization, why do we have a manual in how to do it?

Edited by Dave@Moon (see edit history)

That is true but I have seen plenty of field cars put back on the road and my friend with the Cord body has done a few,alot of people I know dont have 15,000 to buy a good car to start with and get what they can afford.

Any car that's too expensive to restore properly is likely just as relatively expensive to street rod. Long ago it was discovered that you can buy a restored $15K car, part out the "old" stuff for $10K, save another $10K in prep and materials cost, and get the same street rod on the cheap (with a little up-front money). Ditto for a $65K car or a $200K car.

Many of these "field cars" are now coming from a field that is just across the street to the west of the Orange Field, about a half mile away from the Giant Center.:mad:

Bob, I am with you completely. Personally, I think most street rodding is destructive and am in the AACA because I understand it exists to promote authentic preservation and restoration. That is why street rods are not allowed to be displayed at AACA shows, yes? I am only interested in restored and preserved cars and thought that was the mission of the club. Of course we here are not all AACA members, but if we are not into restoration and preservation then why are we on this forum?

I do not generally get into these threads because they only cause arguments. It is always (correctly) pointed out that a guy can do what he wants with his property. It is also always (correctly) pointed out that the street rod world is growing and mine is shrinking. But that is still why I am here and not on a street rod forum, of which I guess there are many. Too bad we had to have another argument, but I am with you Bob,

PS--I do not want to see them on our own home page thumbnails either

Todd

More abuse of other people's words. I think Bob did not start this thread to complain about street rods. I don't think anyone EVER has. To my taste there has NEVER been an anti-street rod thread on this forum.

This thread, and (I believe) every one before it, exists to bemoan HOW people have made specific street rods. If people can get on here and complain about poorly restored cars, or cars that are poorly cared for, or cars that are incorrectly repaired/painted/restored/upholstered/etc....., why the he!! can't people complain about cars that are street rodded in a destructive manner?:confused: Particularly when non-destructive methods exists to make wonderful street rods?:confused::confused:

If judging what people do with their old cars is beneath the dignity of this organization, why do we have a manual in how to do it?

At last! A thin ray of understading illuminates the gloom of knee jerk dogma.......Bob

If everyone would like them all like me we would have no problems or arguments but I know this is a restoration website,I am itching for a period correct early 50s hotrod or custom with no late model parts and might be my next purchase if I can only sell some stuff to get the funds.

Too bad we had to have another argument, but I am with you Bob,

PS--I do not want to see them on our own home page thumbnails either

Todd

Thanks Todd for your comment, But I see this as a discussion not an argument at all. By starting this thread I learned that there are Cord bodies fit only for the crusher or rodding, That good Cords are actually parted out for profit, and a few other interesting tid bits. I thought that was the purpose of this forum, to learn from or inform others. There always will be a few that substitute invective and bluster for informed comment but I usually just discount them..........Bob

Guest windjamer

The diffacult at once the imposable next. My wife bought a 65 Skylark in 68, drove it untill 79 and gave it to her son. He sold it to a farmer for a parts car in1981. The Skylark sat in the mud behind a barn untill 1996 when it was found by my nephew and givin back to my wife AFTER numbers where checked and it was confirmed as the same car. I a retired person, with an income two nickles above poor, wheeled and dealed junk parts an labor for 10 years, but today that Skylark is a senior aaca car and was invited and attended a concours. Im with Bob. There is IMHO no GOOD reason to butcher a classic

Bob, I am with you completely. Personally, I think most street rodding is destructive and am in the AACA because I understand it exists to promote authentic preservation and restoration. That is why street rods are not allowed to be displayed at AACA shows, yes? I am only interested in restored and preserved cars and thought that was the mission of the club. Of course we here are not all AACA members, but if we are not into restoration and preservation then why are we on this forum?

Right on Todd. What's really scary, and not much talked about, is that there are rumblings that the AACA should include rods & customs, much the same as the Buick Club and other marque clubs have done. The rationale is, since the club base is shrinking, inviting rods & customs will grow our ranks. If that's the only path to growth, I'd rather see the club contract and retain its mandate.

I've said before that's the reason I quit the BCA, and that the same would happen should the AACA accept those cars. If I want to see the other side, I'll go to a Good Guys show or a local cruise-in or suscribe to their forums. Since I want neither, I won't. Period.

In trying to be nicey-nice to all, it would seem the AACA is diluting its core constituency by kowtowing to a crowd that could care less about our founding principles. Given that there are AACA'ers who have both preserved/restored and rod/customs, I don't wish to offend them. I just don't want to see the latter at AACA shows.

Same for this Forum, and thankfully we usually only see rods here in cautionary roles...what not to do with your car. (It would be interesting to know how many DF'ers are actual dues-paying members of the club, as many club forums are restricted only to members in good standing).

Bob, I too feel your pain. To those who think restoration/preservation = rodding, I have to say, "Fat chance".

TG

I have seen many threads about the hot rodding of very rare and sometimes Full Classic cars. I am always surprised how those of us who think this is an unfortunate thing to do are usually dismissed with the phrase "It's his car and he has the right to do what he wants to it." I am getting tired to hearing this. After all the AACA is dedicated to the historical preservation of antique automobiles. I know the statement is true (his car can do what he wants to it) but that doesn't mean I have to like it and approve of the butchering of Full Classics and other interesting cars. I don't have data but I think many nicely restored cars have been street rodded and it is not always cars that need a lot of work.

I think I heard about period race cars being showed at AACA shows? and if thats true what are race cars, modified cars and with that being said how about period customs and hotrods that were done when they were just considered old cars that were cheap for the younger crowd of that era to tinker with. Streetrods have no place in a AACA show but customs and hotrods from the 40s and 50s would be a something to consider if they have all the period parts and I think they are welcome at Pebble Beach or other shows like that if they are correct.

I have tried not to get involved in this thread but a couple of issues need to be addressed. This is a very emotional subject for many.

1. AACA is not shrinking! The challenge is there but so far we are vigorously trying to prevent that from happening by being progressive.

2. AACA has not changed their mission nor belief system.

3. This forum is sponsored by AACA for the good of the hobby but not all members of the forum are AACA memebers and do not speak for the board of directors

4. AACA tried to institute a class several years ago that would have allowed for the restoration of period, authenticated modified cars such as Pebble Beach and others now show. It is estimated there are less than 100 of these vehicles in existence. The class was not approved but if it had it would not have changed AACA's mission as the poster is correct, it is no different than the race car class.

5. The club has tried not to be anti but pro for perserving our history and our heritage

I think I heard about period race cars being showed at AACA shows? and if thats true what are race cars, modified cars and with that being said how about period customs and hotrods that were done when they were just considered old cars that were cheap for the younger crowd of that era to tinker with. Streetrods have no place in a AACA show but customs and hotrods from the 40s and 50s would be a something to consider if they have all the period parts and I think they are welcome at Pebble Beach or other shows like that if they are correct.

Good point, Jeff. I'm not sure of the criteria the AACA uses to admit race cars but I think there has to be some kind of provinance or record of them being authentic period race cars rather than some current, cobbled together, race car or hot rod. Perhaps there is room for authentic hot rods of a proven and influential heritage in the AACA. At this years Meadow Brook concours they had a class of period drag racers. To my eye they looked totally out of place. At one point they fired up a few of them and blasted the show with straight pipe noise. There was a small group that seemed to like it but in the context of a Concours it seemed tacky and diminishing to the rest of the patrons so I think the AACA should be VERY careful with this.....Bob

Guest Gary Hearn

I have said this before, a rodder is no different than a concours restorer, both will want to start with as good of a car as they can afford. Unfortunately, that means that classic and desirable cars will be lost. I know of no way we can buy them all to prevent that from happening...

My interest in old cars goes back nearly 50 years, and I have never seen the hobby so fractured.

There are many catagories of restorers and even more when it comes to rods.

Even the NSRA is in chaos now with expanding the age from pre 1949 to something in the 80's?

I was just talking with my son at a show yesterday. He said that out of his whole highschool with 1500 plus kids, only one or two kids show any interest in anything old. He claims kids today want "fast, new, and with a warantee"

...and here we sit, hoping the hobby will stay the same forever..