fluid drive transmission

Guest Brady

Chrysler corporation did make a M6 (1949-53) transmission with the overdrive unit built onto the back of the transmission. Short input shaft...non Fluid Drive. Regular clutch and flywheel was used with this transmission.

Guest Andyjon100

Thank you for the information... I'm still not sure what I'm walking into with this car yet.....According to him, the car still drives like a fluid drive car, but has a switch mounted where the "throttle" knob used to be that operates the electric O.D - the only issue was no reverse. He said that it was supposedly rebuilt when he bought it from some guy in PA. that had a barn full of parts for these cars. He also bought  the 3x2 manifold, header, head, side cover, and some other parts from the same guy - that was in the late 70's to early 80's..... However, at this point the car is just a pretty planter LOL! Until now, my oldest Mopar was my '60 New Yorker wagon - by that time they had the torqueflite.....LOVED the push buttons and astra dome!

Edited by Andyjon100 (see edit history)

• 5 months later...
Guest Juan A. Cervantes
On August 27, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Bob Call said:

Juan

Slipping is not a problem in the transmission as it is a regular 3 speed manual transmission that is electrically shifted. the slipping is a problem with either the fluid coupler or the clutch.

First, check the oil level in the fluid coupler. There is an inspection plate on the right side of the transmission hump of the floorboard. Remove this plate and you can turn the engine by hand or gently bumping the starter until the filler plug lines up in the inspection hole in the bellhousing. Pack rags between the bellhousing opening and the fluid coupler beore removing the plug. This is to keep from dropping the plug and having it go to the bottom of the bellousing. Remove the plug. The oil level should be at the bottom of the plug hole. If not, top off with 10W non-detergent motor oil. Most Walmarts have this oil and some parts stores. If this does not stop the slipping it is probably the clutch. Start by checking the adjustment of the clutch linkage. If the linkage adjustment is OK, my guess is that the clutch will have to be replaced.

Hello Bob, you helped me out a while back with a tray problem that I had on my 1949 Chrysler Royal.  Now I have a new problem.  I need to replace the throw out bearing.  I already took the tray  and the throw out bearing.  How do I remove the throw out bearing? 

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...