How Fast Is Your Buick?

TxBuicks

From the Dallas area news. I wonder what model Buick it was?

<TABLE class=Box_55090223_Tb cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR align=left><TD class=Box_55090223_Td width="100%">Driver Clocked Going 150mph On North Texas Highway

</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=Box_55090223_Td width="100%">A driver is under arrest in Grapevine for going at least 90 miles OVER the speed limit. About 3 a.m. Friday, an officer was on Highway 114 near D/FW Airport when he saw a Buick racing by. He finally caught up with the car near West Wall Street. The driver was arrested and faces several charges, including exceeding the speed limit. The driver was clocked going at least 150 mph in a 60 mph zone.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I have an overdrive in my 72 GS with a 3.31 axle, and have NO idea how fast it will run ! I can't afford the tires that will accomodate that speed. I have had it to 120+ ,but that was a while ago. It only has a 120MPH speedo.

My 37 coupe with a 455 ahs a 2.56 axle and a 140 speedo , and I have had that to 130+

I think the fastest I have driven one on the road was a 1966 Skylark 4dr HT. 300 CI, 2 BBl, automatic. I just had new radial tires installed, balanced, alignment, etc. I pegged the speedomoter out at 120 MPH for several minutes. It was on a flat country road with no traffic. Boy, did it run smooth! Don't tell the wife.

On the way to Colorado Springs this summer, one of our '59 Buick owners opted to put his Invicta -- "The Most Spirited Buick" -- to the test. The 50-year old, unrestored Buick easily cruised to 115-mph in the middle of Wyoming. More speed was clearly on tap, but the owner decided not to test the upper limits of the Buick's speed.

I found several articles on this speedy Buick in Google News for zip code 76101 this afternoon.

One article noted the 37 year old male was driving a 2008 Buick Enclave, another just said "Buick". One headline included "150MPH SUV", another mentioned "150MPH Buick". Two articles from different sources read differently. Both online articles had the mug shot of the driver.

In one article, it noted the Grapevine Policeman was sent to investigate a speeder. The Buick went by him and he proceeded to give chase. His dash-cam recorded the policecar's speed of "150MPH" as it took 6 miles to catch the Buick and then for the driver to decide to pull over--lights, siren, and all. The driver apologized and said he just wanted to get home . . . with a blood alcohol level of over twice the legal (in TX) limit.

In the other article, it noted the Grapevine Policeman "clocked" the Buick at 150MPH, but did not identify the model of Buick. First, there was the 157mph Hyundai Sonata sedan, which was fully documented (from an AZ rental car fleet) . . . now a 150mph Buick Enclave has been reported. The officer was informed that CAR AND DRIVER's website noted the Enclave was electronically governed to about 100mph, but he insisted "150mph" would be in his report.

During the pursuit, the officer noted the Buick's driver moved through traffic, changing lanes without signalling, plus other things. Obviously, the Dodge Charger HEMI he was driving could keep up with the Buick.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Had the 65 Skylark up to 115 mph. 4 barrel carb, 300 hi perf engine, posi rear all stock. Ran out of road, but still had plenty of pedal to go. Then came the brake fade. Peeled a few years off my life.

Top speed is good but average speed is where my Buick excels.

Coming home from Seattle in the Riviera, we made it from Hot Springs SD to Grand Isle Ne in just a shade over 4 hours. I had the secondaries open and got 7 mpg on that run.

We took a day less then our friends to get home.

Guest sintid58

My son and I were out test driving the Skylark a couple years ago on a long open stretch of South Dakota highway and had it up to 110. Then something went bang and smoke started to come out from under the car. First thought it was a blown tire but that wouldn't smoke. Broke the tranmission case completely in half on the TH 350. Never seen anything like it, scared the @#%@ out of us. In my younger years I had a 1969 Electra and I had the speedometer pegged out on that a couple time, it just floated along at over 120. Of course there was the GSX but that didn't have much top end, but it got to it very very fast.

I have had my regal turbo to 125 but they were built without speed rated tires so that was as fast as it would go .Everyone says they were faster than the Vette in 87 but this was true only only on the track,not on the highway unless you changed your chip. Norb

Derek

There are many people that will debate whether it is "brave" or "stupid "

Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe :D

Or perhaps a little from column A and a little from column B? ;)

I'm too worried about breaking my toys to try to get them to go wicked fast (or is that stupid fast?).

Not a Buick but almost one: 1966 Toronado (new in 1966) 140 mph speedometer....Pegged for quite a distance on the Queen Elizabeth Highway between Fort Erie and Niagara Falls, Ontario. Never again, there may have been a bit of alcohol involved.

are we talking only buick

as a kid

my 65 wildcat was toped out, of course at 16 we all had no fear,

i put a 87 z car together when i worked a body shop fram machine back in the late 80's as well

that one went 167 before i did something in my pants and backed out of it

the poles where going by to fast for me

:D:eek:

Greg

Definitely stupid as I was old enough to know better but......... My 58 Buick Special convert had been in storage for several years after my marriage in 1980 and one summer decided to get it out and back on the road. After new brakes, radial tires, carb rebuild and trany flush, on an early Sunday morning drive with top down, decided to take a run on a new four lane highway expansion that was about to open and opened her up. With the speedo only registering to 110 mph it was all red to the end and believe it or not still had a "little" room till the floor. Again, stupid as it was already a 22 year old car with original drive train and anything could have happened. But...... boys being boys I got it out of my system and still have the car with that original drive train today. (it will not happen again in my life time!)

Not a Buick this time but my Dad bought a 1959 Olds Ninety Eight with the four speed auto trans used in 1969 for $500 and while on a family Vacation out West found ourselves in Nevada in a car without air conditioning in the Desert with three young kids and the temperature around 105 degrees. Dad put the Olds up to 110 mph for almost a half hour on the straightest never ending road I ever remember! That car never offered to overheat when we had to slow back down to reality. Hmmmm.......... maybe that is where I had it in my mind to try the Buick out? I'm older now, wiser??????? (My wife might have an opinion here - ha,ha)

One of my buddies clocked me at over 55 MPH in my 1913 Model 31 Buick on I-5 heading south into Portland OR. Not bad for a car pushing 100 years old! It was on a weekend, so I had lots of room to slow down with only rear brakes in the right lane in light traffic....

Guest 1950SuperBlueBuick

My '50 Super has a personal speed limit of 63 MPH.

The engine has never been rebuilt and I would feel pretty stupid if I blew something up just showing off. She is quite content cruising gracefully in the right lane.

She's about as aerodynamic as a freight train and gets similar mileage so what's the point?

Besides, I probably do a public safety service because most people slow down to admire her fine lines and that crazy grill before they wave and go speeding off again.

Joe,

I don't have titanium gonads, but my 13 Buick is in pretty good shape. The spokes were reworked with "wood swell" & linseed oil inserted into the drilled ends of each spoke and capped with 22 shell casings. They are nice and tight, but I really don't trust the way the rims mount to the wheels anymore. I keep it slow on turns to reduce the side loads on the spokes.

My 55 mph straight run was several years ago.... now I run between 40-45 on most tours....

Guest Mike1953

What do you think a bone stock 53 special will do? I have yet to get her on the highway yet...new springs are a must before this happens

Guest windjamer

Fresh out of the Army in 66 I was driveing stock-car for a auto dealership at a couple local tracks.arriveing at the lot one Fri. I found a 61 Pont. venturea with a 389 v8 and a tri-power. It had a standard floor shift,a quick change rear and I was told a full race rebuild. I had to have it. I took it home and for the next few mo. I took a few bucks off anyone that DIDNT know what was under the hood. A guy I knew kept after me to race, but wouldnt put up any bucks to cover the cost if we got a ticket. One day he tryed to pass me on the right at a light,he didnt but a mile or two down the road I heard tic tic tic BANG. For the next year I looked at that Pontiac with a rod sticking out the block and paid a hundred bucks a mo. to the dealer till it was paid for. Thats when I knew what dad meant about paying for a dead horse. HOW fast will my 65 GS go?? I dont know, but I will be glad to road test yours.:D

Just brought my 1940 81 C home for the first time running. I had it to about 55 which is about as fast as I wanted to go with a 456 rear end.

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Not very fast at all, but then again I didnt buy my Buick for speed. However it does do one hell of a burnout and the funny part is until the smoke starts rolling out of the fenderwells nobody knows its me :D

Dan

Guest Mike1953

Did my 53 special have overdrive? I noticed that I can pull out the stalk on my 3 on the tree. Forgive the noob questions, I am learning about her with out a manual...

I was clocked on radar by the New Mexico State Police in my '55 Special at 95/55.

Still have the '55, but at present it is undergoing a frame/drivetrain swap.

I have nicknamed it "FrankenBuick". 71 455, supposed to be a Stage 1, but have not confirmed that, mounted in a '78 frame stretched 6".

Not very fast at all, but then again I didnt buy my Buick for speed. However it does do one hell of a burnout and the funny part is until the smoke starts rolling out of the fenderwells nobody knows its me :D

Dan

Hrmmm, maybe it's about time a certain video from BeaveRun surfaces. I seem to recall a Century out in front. :D

My '41 Buick Century will go 65 really nicely. I've had it going a little faster and mentioned it to my Mom awhile back. She's 78 now and my Dad used to say "The only two speeds that woman knows is go like hell and stop!" (She blew up an engine in a '35 Buick convertible back in the early 50's). She told me that I really needed to have a respect for the thing now that it's so old.. I asked her about that '35 Buick then and she said it was going about 95 when the engine flew apart. Oil went all over the windshield and it shook to a halt. "They should have never let the foot feed go down that far"... That was her comment. And that the thing didn't have a top anymore and at that time it wasn't worth putting a new one on it. She got around $15 from the junk yard.

Guest Dans 77 Limited
Hrmmm, maybe it's about time a certain video from BeaveRun surfaces. I seem to recall a Century out in front. :D

Yes it was Century...... but it did seem to say something about "Gran Sport" or something like that on the sides and the trunk. Trust me I saw a lot of the "Gran Sport" on the trunk. And I never never said my Buick was fast ...... just that it could do one hell of a burnout for a late 70s luxury barge. In fact I almost did score one against the "Century" when after we got the light (Flashlight drags) he took off and then lifted cause he thought his car wasnt hooking up. In reality it was MY car that wasnt hooking up and if I could have fooled him for a few more seconds I might have got him. Can you even begin to imagine Randys embarrasment if his "High performance A body":D had got dusted by my lowly 77 ?????

Bragging rights for YEARS!!!!!!!!!!:eek::D

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GS70Stage1

factory specs on my car are 510 ft pds torque at 2800 rpm. I have buried the speedo at 120 but the thrill for me is getting going NOW. Retired Chief of Police friend told me the limit is x mph, not how long it takes to get to x

What about "y" and "z"??

It used to be that "exhibition of acceleration" was code for "racing", or the more blatant "competition of speed". Or the subjective "abuse of pavement" ticket that one friend got in Houston for "laying rubber", years ago.

I guess if you're the only one getting to "x" and no one else is around to "contest" it, it might become more of a dominant species sort of thing?

If, on the way to "x", there might be a Mustang 5.0L nearby AND the driver is "typical", then he'll (typically, a "he") eagerly pickup "the challenge" to his vehicle and "answer the call". It can be great fun to bait them, even with a car that they should KNOW is slower than theirs, just that YOU got away from the light before they did--such FUN!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest Dans 77 Limited
What about "y" and "z"??

It used to be that "exhibition of acceleration" was code for "racing", or the more blatant "competition of speed". Or the subjective "abuse of pavement" ticket that one friend got in Houston for "laying rubber", years ago.

I guess if you're the only one getting to "x" and no one else is around to "contest" it, it might become more of a dominant species sort of thing?

If, on the way to "x", there might be a Mustang 5.0L nearby AND the driver is "typical", then he'll (typically, a "he") eagerly pickup "the challenge" to his vehicle and "answer the call". It can be great fun to bait them, even with a car that they should KNOW is slower than theirs, just that YOU got away from the light before they did--such FUN!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

We were on a private track at a loosely sanctioned event sponsored by alteredgas.com. Im not goofy enough to street race with a stock 77 Electra. I didnt even really want to do the flashlight drag thing but I got talked into it.

Dan