I was offered a trade today

Guest David Simons

Guest David Simons

I was offered a trade on a '67 Barracuda with a 340 built for the strip today for Little Fella. What is the general consensus of that offer?

Guest d_voitel

I wish I could help on that one. If I was 20 or so years younger, my thoughts certainly would be different than they are now. When I was younger I was into customizing and going fast. Now that I'm more mature, I'm more into pristine examples.

As for the terms of the offer on the table, it really depends on the financial aspect and what you want to do with the cuda, (show or go). I would be torn between the options.

I wish I still had my Dodge Stealth!

I would be there passing the paperwork instead of being on this forum asking about it. That is a heck of a deal and the Barracuda (no matter what body style) is WELL worth it unless it is a really thrashed example of a race car. Can you find out if it is an original 340 car? If so, that makes it a Formula S which is VERY desirable.

Guest David Simons

It is a Formula S model original 340 car but not the original engine. I am really having to think about this one. I like my convertible but would love the 340. There is no substitute for cubic inches.

Having owned a 67 fastback barracuda before getting a v6 TC I would have to say that unless you put about 20 grand into a total resto to tighten up everything on the Barracuda you will soon tire of the huge number of different noises from every quarter of the car. The sound deadening of the TC is very nicely done and the car is a dream to drive everyday compared to the steering/suspension combo in the Barracuda. The 340 is the perfect size engine for the little Barracuda and if using engine power to throw the car around the curves is what you are looking for then the TC can't compare.

Guest MiamiTVR

Take the trade. If you do not like the noises or can't handle the power, sell it and buy three TCs.

I had a hard time accepting my handmade 440 powered Jensen Interceptor was not valued nearly as highly by the market as a common Mopar with the same engine. And it had no noises other than the throaty growl that issued forth from those factory large diameter exhaust pipes.

This is not to say the market is correct in either case.

Guest David Simons

It is a fastback. The biggest issue with me is that it is not an original piece . It is a Formula S model though. It has been painted recently and has had the chrome redone. Neither the engine nor transmission are original to the numbers and it was not built for the purposes of a daily or distance driver. It is on the other hand making over 500 horse power. Had this deal came about just a while back, I would have paid the difference and made the swap, but I know what I have in my car and the condition it is currently in would be hard to replace. Even if I made the trade, kept the car for a short while and sold it, I still most likely will not find another TC in the condition of mine. I could pick up a five speed but my car is already making 300 horsepower, has 500 miles on the drive train, new paint and a beautiful interior. I need to go look at the Barracuda to satisfy my mind.

Guest ImperialNorth

David I would have the Cuda well checked out, especially if its been raced, Is it even a 340 and not a 273. Whats the car like underneath, they were fairly rust prone back then. If a deal is too good to be true, it often is

Guest David Simons

I know well that it is a 340, I know the guy that built it. I have not checked under the car but the guy that has the car is pretty methodical in the ways that he keeps his vehicles. He has told me to keep my car and drive it until I get tired of it and the offer still stands.

Guest ImperialNorth

I only suggest you check the car out because there is a lot of junk out there being past off as being pristine cars, if you know the owner and the car so much the better. His suggestion makes sense, you should benefit from your hard work and cash before trading your little gem.

Guest My TC Toy

From what you have said, you seen to like the Barracuda but you like your TC a little better. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know. Consider carefully then make a decision. Good luck.

David;

You seem to be impressed with your new found Barracuda.

You have received a lot of good advice. However I offer the following: You have had your TC for some time and needless to say have taken the time to bring her up to your specifications and insured the work was accomplished to your high standards.

You are about to take on another vehicle, grant it you know the guy that did the work, but is his work and the other who have worked on the Barracuda along the way accomplished the maintenance to your standards?

If you can provide an in equable yes to the above question then purchase the Barracuda.

If you cannot then I encourage you to rethink the entire situation and before you make the final decision decide how much work and time it would take you bring the Barracuda up to your standards.

Once you have decided how much time it would take to bring this vehicle to your standards then think about the enjoyment you could get out of the TC and not having to spend your time in garage.

Cheers,

Bob

David - As the original owner of a 69 'cuda 340 (same body style as 67) and 3 16v TCs I can tell you that the 'cuda easily outperforms the TC in all areas except braking. The TC is easier to drive, rides better and is much quieter. I have no idea if my 'cuda has any rattles because the engine, exhaust, tire and wind noise make even loud conversation impossible.

Regarding originality, the 340 was not available until 1968 - 67 Formula S cudas had either a 273 or 383. The only ways to tell are by examining the data plate or even better, the build sheet. For example, on the data plate look at the second # in from the left on the bottom line: 32=273, 62=383; anything else and the car could not have been a Formula S. Good Luck - Nile