'48 Chrysler Windsor - transmission issue - please help

Guest setes

Hi guys !

I am new to the forum. My name is Paul, 36 y/o, I live in Poland.

I just bought '48 Chrysler Windsor off ebay. It was listed as equipped with manual transmission, but there is hydraulically operated tranny. Too bad it's not working properly, it won't shift from low to high in power and driving range as well. I checked the relay, governor and solenoid, looks like it works OK. I added some oil (should be 3 pints, was about half). Maybe you know what is or was common problem in this case ? What should I check ?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Guest CutNChop

Engine idle has to be at 425-450...no higher. Ensure all wiring is connected and ends are clean.

The Imperial club has some troubleshooting guides on the site under repairs.

Hi, Thanks for advice ! I will check and clean all the wires again. The troubleshootin guides are great ! I hope the tranny will work OK again. Paul,

Guest martylum

Hi-I just installed a new wiring harness from the three electrical elements on the transmission to the 3 contacts on the carburetor and various hookups on the relay box on the LH fender plus the coil. things can go wrong if all these wires aren't connected.

The unit is very much like an overdrive transmission and if the governor and solenoid aren't working it won't upshift.

Martin Lum

Hi-I just installed a new wiring harness from the three electrical elements on the transmission to the 3 contacts on the carburetor and various hookups on the relay box on the LH fender plus the coil. things can go wrong if all these wires aren't connected.

The unit is very much like an overdrive transmission and if the governor and solenoid aren't working it won't upshift.

Martin Lum

I must check the wiring again cause I have one wire disconnected, I thought it was choke wiring.

Thanks

Paul,

These were a very reliable and strong transmission. Usually they give very little trouble. They do require a certain driving technique and they need to be filled with the correct oil.

The factory recommended #10 motor oil but many use TDH tractor oil, ISO32 grade. TDH stands for transmission, differential and hydraulic oil.

There was a lot of discussion on these transmissions and fluid drive units on the Dodge and Chrysler boards a year or 2 ago. If you do a search for "fluid drive" or "fluid drive transmissions" on those boards you will find some long, in depth technical discussions.

Thanks for the info guys !

I am currently rebuilding the carb and I am planning to change the whole tranny oil.

I hope it will help.

I have a question. What should happen when I am taking my feet of the gas pedal ?

Any noise, click ? Should I feel anything ?

Thanks

Paul,

Guest martylum

Hello again-when the trans upshifts you will immediately have engine braking in the 2nd gear in either range. When in the lower gear of each range, the car will free wheel with no engine braking if you let off the gas.

Maartin Lum

Guest Bob Call

Paul

When you release the gas pedal you will diffently hear the transmission change gears, then press the gas pedal to accelerate or maintain speed.

If the tranny is in good shape when you lift off the gas there should be a barely audible "click-clack" and you can step on the gas again. The shift to high should take no more than 2 seconds. If the tranny is worn it will be more of a "click-clunk".

The shift will only take place if you are going more than 14 MPH (high range) or 6 MPH (low range).

Again, all this had been covered in the past. I did some very long posts on this transmission and so have other people. All the information you need is in the archives if you search for it.