Anouther tire question.

Guest windjamer

Guest windjamer

Just to stir the pot a little, You are judging a car with four brand new tires, the spair matches but is worn,would you take a point??? It is serviceable,but say half worn out. Is it a fair deduction or are we being picky?? BTW Mine is new.:D

Guest windjamer

G/Morning Susan, just trying to rejuvinate a little life in the judging discussion. This was covered maby 3 years ago. You and I both know the worn tire would warrant a one point deduction. Its ONLY one point, but little things can hurt.:D

Was nice to meet you and Bill at Hershey, I hope to make the GN at New Bern,maby we could get togather for coffee.

G/Morning Susan, just trying to rejuvinate a little life in the judging discussion. This was covered maby 3 years ago. You and I both know the worn tire would warrant a one point deduction. Its ONLY one point, but little things can hurt.:D

Was nice to meet you and Bill at Hershey, I hope to make the GN at New Bern,maby we could get togather for coffee.

Hello wj.

You are correct, that one little point can put someone just outside that award level. And what a shame that would be when it is something that could have been fixed.

It was sure nice to meet you also. And thanks again for the Mercedes center cap for a hubcap.

We plan on going to the GN in New Bern. They always put on a GREAT show. And coffee or a meal sounds great.

• 2 months later...

Every tyre bears four wear markers around the circumference. When you notice flush wear marker, it means that your tyre has 1.6mm or less of tread left. This is the time you must change the tyre. Tyres can wear unevenly so check the tyre thoroughly to ensure left out tread depth. Tyres having tread depth around 2mm should be changed. Tread depth meters are made available at branded tyres outlet.

Whoa!!!! A one point deduction??? I think that is being picky! Are the tires on the ground worn? Yes, If it is driven any at all they are, but they weren't when they left the factory!!!! So you should take a 5 point deduction(one for each tire that is worn)! Stop nitpicking cars!!! Next thing you'll wanna check is the oil to see if it is dirty or needs changed. And every mile on the odometer will require a point deduction, as it was 0.0 miles when it left the factory!

Whoa!!!! A one point deduction??? I think that is being picky! Are the tires on the ground worn? Yes, If it is driven any at all they are, but they weren't when they left the factory!!!! So you should take a 5 point deduction(one for each tire that is worn)! Stop nitpicking cars!!! Next thing you'll wanna check is the oil to see if it is dirty or needs changed. And every mile on the odometer will require a point deduction, as it was 0.0 miles when it left the factory!

"It is serviceable, but say half worn out."

That is how windjammer, the originator of this thread, described the spare tire. A one point deduction would be in order for a half worn out spare tire. That is not nitpicking. A slightly worn spare would not warrant a deduction.

Dalef62,

The short answer to your question would be "the chassis judge".

I would like to add the following additional explanation...

If a car is entered in a meet to be judged, it gets judged. It should not be an upsetting experience for anybody. The judges are not supposed to be nitpicky, but they are supposed to do their best to evaluate a car according to the judging guidelines.

This is a hobby designed to be fun. When I take a car touring, I let it get dirty and enjoy it. When I enter the car to be judged, I make sure that I go over it and do my best to correct any problems with it before it will be judged.

If you enjoy touring, tour. If you enjoy shows, show it. If you enjoy both, do both.

If you are going to get upset by having a car judged, don't do it. If you are interested in judged shows, become a judge. It can be fun and educational.

Enjoy the hobby.

Just to stir the pot a little, You are judging a car with four brand new tires, the spair matches but is worn,would you take a point??? It is serviceable,but say half worn out. Is it a fair deduction or are we being picky?? BTW Mine is new.:D

Yeah Dick, you're trying to stir the pot.

.....The one thing that no one has caught would be that it depends on where the tire is located.

In the case of our our own vehicles in our collection, the spare tire is kept under the carpeting in the back of our Mustangs. In the case of our woodie wagon the spare tire is mounted to the back side of the front seat, and there is a vinyl covering over the entire spare tire. In the case of our Ford Bronco, the spare tire is mounted externally with a Ford Bronco tire cover that goes over the spare. Our fire trucks have no spare tires, and you'd be hard pressed with the judging guidelines to be able to tell if the inside dual wheels are the same brand of tires as the outside duals. In the case of the large commercial trucks, a lot of those trucks would've been built with an aggressive tire on the back and smoother less aggressive tires on the front.

.....Remember that you cannot move an item to inspect or judge another item.

So in all fairness, the deduction may or may not be made depending on the vehicle.

The bottom line that isn't pushed in the Judge's Guideline is to use common sense.

.....The one thing that no one has caught would be that it depends on where the tire is located. .....

ex, We didn't need to catch it. :rolleyes: In wj's example it was stated that the spare was half worn out. That implies that it could be clearly seen without any other component being moved/removed. :D

But you are correct in that we cannot move or remove one component to judge another one. :)

Guest Siegfried

Matt, a SUPERB explanation and a super way to look at the car hobby. Make your own choice, show, tour, or both and always be pleased with yoursself and your car. You know what you have, enjoy it.