Sign in to follow this  
Harry Connors

rear backup lights

Does anyone have any photographs of a connie with the backup lights mounted? Or perhaps a wiring or installation diagram for the accessory reverse lights on a 48 Connie? Thanks Harry

I have never seen a V-12 Lincoln with factory backup lights. I have however, seen some accessory backup lights like those that used to be sold by Western Auto, JC Whitney, Pep Boys, and the like. These lights are usually activated by a user installed switch under the dshboard, or by a jury-rigged contraption on the shifter which pushes a swith when the car is shifted into reverse.

I'll attach a photo of the only installation I have ever seen on a 1948 Lincoln Zephyr coupe. I didn't see how the lights were turned on. Also, a photo of the backup light I had on my 1939 Ford convertible in 1963.

Note the extra brake lights on the Lincoln. I installed a 1956-7 Thunderbird/Lincoln turn signal switch on my '47 Continental. This switch is physically identical to the stock '41-48 turn signal switch, but it has the extra wires needed to convert the existing rear turn signal lights to brake/turn signals like a modern car.

I worry about the single center brake light on these old Lincolns not being seen by these bozo drivers in modern cars that follow too close!

post-31768-143138122791_thumb.jpg

post-31768-143138122794_thumb.jpg

Thanks Phil. The lights I have have the Lincoln name on them and there is a complete set up on eBay right now in the original box with instruction for three times of what I paid for the two lights together. I purchased one of those 56/57 T-bird turn signal switches based on one of your other posts and am waiting until I get to the wiring = which is either missing or busted in most areas I have checked. Harry

As an interesting side note, I'm not sure when back-up lights were first offered, but I know that they were optional as late as 1965 on the Ford Mustang. I also get a kick out of telling people that my Zephyr didn't have *turn signals* when new (I have a stealth switch under the dash now). It's amazing any of these cars or their drivers survived.

I have backup lights on my 1947 Lincoln club coupe. The lights are round dome shaped. The fenders have a hole for them just under the signal lights. I don't know if they were factory or dealer installed. I made a switch that is contacted by the reverse shift lever under the hood, but have to be careful not to leave the car in reverse when shut off, as the lights stay on. I still haven't learned how to insert a picture, but can email one to you if you wish.

Ralph we are in the same boat, I have tried several times using my iMac to post photographs and can not get them to take. I will load some into the Parallel Desktop and see if I can post them that way. Please email me the photos of your lights my email is connors@online.de thanks Harry

Harry, I sent you an email with the address you gave but it came back as unknown. Please check the email address and I can try again.

Ralph

Checking the "accessories" section of the Lincoln parts book and no mention of backup lights. The parts book does mention a Utility lamp ( 5EH 15550) for '46 to '48 cars...maybe this was used as a backup light? Backup lights were offered on Lincoln's in 1952. There were a lot of aftermarket accessories available during the 50's.

Correction: Seems back up lights were offered for the '48 cars per an article by Ed Spagnolo in LCOC "Classic Comments". The photo shows them either mounted on the gravel shield or to one side of the tail lights on the rear fenders. Harry Conners dug up this info.

My thanks to Phil for the directions on attaching a photo. The additional bit I had to do was reduce the size of the photo first as a large photo file won't work.

I wonder if the backup lights were a Ford accessory and installed by a dealer. Harry emailed me a photo of his lights and they are different from any I have seen. With Harry's permission I could post his pictures.

Please do post the photographs, Jim Storck sent me the article from the Continental Comments with the photograph of the lights I have in the second of the photo's that are in that article. Thanks to all for their assistance on this. Harry

Dee maybe you could post the copy of the article so that all can see it. I have off today so I will play with the iMac and see how I can post photographs. Thanks Harry