1940 lincoln continental convertible

Guest kram

HELLO ALL, I AM A NEWBIE TO THE CLUB AND HAVE SOME QUESTIONS ON MY OLD CONTINENTAL. THIS VEHICLE WAS REPAINTED ABOUT FIFTY YEARS AGO AND NOW SOMEWHAT ROUGH ALSO THE SEATS R REALLY STARTING TO COME APPART. OTHER THAN THAT THE CAR IS IN GREAT SHAPE EVERYTHING IS OPERATIONAL EXEPT FOR RADIO. THE CAR IS ALL ORIGNAL EXPEPT FOR PAINT, WILL I HURT VALUE OF VEHICLE IF I JUST REPAIR SEATS AND PAINT TO MAKE VEHICLE MORE APPEALING. OR JUST LEAVE THE CAR ALONE AND LIVE WITH IT. WOULD RATHER NOT TRY TO DO A COMPLETE RESTORATION AT THIS TIME. ALL COMMENTS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

MARK D LEBLANC

Hi Mark and welcome to the club,

About the only advice I could offer would be, what are you happy with? It has already been painted once, so the paint is no longer original. You could go ahead and repaint and as long as it was in an original color, you would be just fine and not hurt the value of it. But unless you are capable of doing this yourself, this is big dollars to have it done right.

There is a production slip available for your car and all you need to get one is a few bucks and the serial number of the car. This slip will show the date built, what options were on the car, the color, and what the interior was, all leather or leather and whipcord, as well as the shipping date. If you do a search on this forum, you should find the address, or someone will no doubt chime in and supply it.

I can tell you this much. I have just about completed a total restoration of a 41 Continenal Cabrolet and the following will apply. It will take three times longer that you think it will once you start a restoration. It will cost LOTS more than you would have thought when it comes to the cost of a total restoration.

If your car was mine, I would probably have the seats repaired and drive the car for awhile and get some enjoyment out of it. You can slowly clean things up in the engine bay and the interior and that will make a big difference.

Here is a photo of my 41 on the way to the upholstery shop to have the interior installed and a top fitted. It only took me about 32 years to get to this point. :)

Tom

Edited by Tom Overfield (see edit history)

TOM THANKS FOR THE INPUT THIS IS MY FIRST CLASSIC CAR AND SINCE CAR HAS NEVER BEEN TOUCHED OTHER THAN PAINT AND MECHANICAL WORK WE PERFORMED TO MAKE RUN AND DRIVE. REALLY NOT SURE WHAT ALL DO WITH IT. I WILL TELL YOU HERE IN ILLINIOS VERY FEW PEOPLE HAVE SEEN A VEHICLE LIKE THIS.

WOULD LIKE TO POST SOME OF THESE PICTURES ON THE LCOC WEBSITE BUT KEPT GETTING A ERROR CODE FILE TO BIG. IF SOMEONE COULD HELP WITH POSTING THESE PICTURES ON THAT SITE IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS

MARK

• 2 weeks later...

That is my favorite car of all time. I wish I could afford one! You are a lucky man. IMO, DON'T tear it down for a full resto...you'll never drive and enjoy it afterward, plus it would cost a fortune! Good luck with whatever you decide...let me know if you want to sell it! :)

I just saw the other interior photos you uploaded, and it almost looks like a totally different interior. I'm now confused, but that usually doesn't take much. In any event, I would still seek to soften the leather before putting any cover over it, as it will continue to deteriorate underneath. The door and side panels look way too good to redo, and I would just clean those.