2010 Eastern Division Spring Meet

ex98thdrill

Hi,

I hope that someone recorded the National Anthem as the huge flag was flying from Pat's flagpole. The vocalist was a last minute "find" from the Canandaigua Academy (high school) vocal group.

...and a darn good find at that. Hat's off to Bill Boudway for a job well done. As for the birds doing the flyover, I don't know who orchestrated that one, but I do know that I can't claim responsibility for that one.

I just got back from returning the golf cart to the county, and dropped off some of the trophies won by the local members, and everyone I've talked to really enjoyed the meet. I stopped by the show field, and it is now a ghost town. The wonderfull cars and people are gone, but the memories will remain. It was so nice to see so many people that I know in my stomping grounds. What blew the minds of so many of the locals was that they didn't realize that so many people know my dad and I. One of the guys here in Bloomfield is an avid photographer. He was so smitten by all of the cars, we went through the entire show before he realized that he forgot to take pictures. He was so impressed based on the fact that there was a huge variety of everything.

Last year I talked Alden Favro into joining AACA and bringing his '32 Ford to our meet. After doing some convincing, he agreed to join AACA. I went to Hershey, paid his dues, and when he went to re-pay me, I told him that if he joined GVACS and worked at the meet, that his dues were on the house. He joined, he worked, the car won a First Junior, and as he stopped by yesterday to pick up the trophy his exact words to me were "Caryl and I had a ball yesterday, that was a great show, met a lot of nice people, we're hooked."

.....It doesn't get any better than that:cool::cool::cool:

I do know that I slept about 4 hours yesterday afternoon, all last night, and I am totally relaxed, and ready to go. Time to build a firehouse.

To the members of GVACS and Wayne Drumlins; Thank you for a wonderful meet.

Thought the"wheel chock" on a rope was a good idea for spacing the cars. I understand that was Bill Preston's idea.

Pat, I want to thank you and your family again for housing us and my ride in the 47' convertible (note which side the ' is on). It's not everyday you you get a ride on the flagpole. Also thanks for allowing me to drive the '40 Chrysler Convertible to the meet. Enjoyed it.

Well Matt beat me with Steve's picture. But, at least I can show Matt's winning picture at the awards dinner.

Yes Pat, Gloria and I followed your directions and saw some parts of New York we had not seen before. The first look at the lake itself were breathtaking when first seen through the trees in the northern area of the lake.

We left Victor Sunday morning and drove through the rain to Syracuse and Oneita Lake Region's annual meet. My region friend, Paul Beyer invited me by, but we could only stay a couple hours as Gloria got feeling bad and the cool weather was no help.

It was wonderful meeting everyone this time. There were a few surprises from Awards Night that I'll keep under wraps for a bit. Also, during the weekend, we were informed by Joe Gagliano that the Louisville registration was closed. I always enjoy seeing him pass the commemorative license plate around the members in attendance at roundtables. It is really special. Those of you not going are missing out on something special. Steve also had the 75th Book available for view again, this time a pre-production version. I think he said they are still about 2 weeks out from mailing.

Great job Pat and the other two regions helping out. Having area regions help out at meets and tours is just the easy way to get things done. Please keep this in mind, when an Activity Chairman asks your region to showcase your area with a National event.

I have a few more pictures and comments to make later in the week. Away from home for 4 days leaves a lot of catch up business work to take care of.

Wayne

post-31395-143138227467_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138227473_thumb.jpg

Guest windjamer
:)( Hats off to Bill ) And a super thank you to the young lady. As a Viet Nam vet I stood proud,faced Pats flag and held a salute till the last note faded. The Anthem SHOULD be played at every event and EVERY morning of that event. Can you hear me Hershey?? God bless the USA.:D

I have a few more pictures and comments to make later in the week.

Wayne, I'm glad that you had a good time, and I'm especially proud to have you support our region in our stomping grounds. I hope my speech at the banquet didn't bore you guys to death, and I'm glad you enjoyed the Friday night entertainment.

FLCC, CMAC, Steamboat Landing, the Ladies Luncheon, and Paulsen, Baker & Garvey was done by me, but then once I got more committee chairs on board, I farmed it out and they helped get the rubber to the road.

Stephanie handled all of the tours, but I pushed for the Curtiss Museum because I wanted to have at least one tour that was car related.

The logistics for Terry's airport shuttle, the flag and the flagpole was planned and implemented solely by me, and it was known to only a select few people before it happened. Most of the members of my own region didn't even know about it, because I wanted it to be a surprise to everyone, and a surprise it was. As soon as people rolled into the showfield, almost everyone knew who was behind it.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What started as an informational thread on a Meet caused the creation of the Meets & Tours portion of this forum, and at this point, the thread is without a doubt going to top 10,000 hits. All I can say about all of this is WOW!!!

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)

............ I hope my speech at the banquet didn't bore you guys to death, and I'm glad you enjoyed the Friday night entertainment.

Pat, your lead-in statement..."Terry stayed longer for the entertainment after the, "I don't look good naked no more!" song was played was perfect for what you followed it with..........

....."this meet reminds me of the Beatles song, "With a little help from my friends!" That's when I had a tear in my eye because you reminded everyone of how many good supportive friends we have in this club.

Thanks,

Wayne

....."this meet reminds me of the Beatles song, "With a little help from my friends!" That's when I had a tear in my eye because you reminded everyone of how many good supportive friends we have in this club.

Thanks,

Wayne

Folks, I am gonna' "rat out" Pat. After all he personally did to pull this meet off, he stayed at the hospital until about 1:30 a.m. with one of the members when they fell ill, and then took them back to their hotel room when they were released from the hospital. Pat has friends because he IS a friend. :)

Thanks,

Wayne

You weren't the only one Wayne. Janet Rickett's daughter and son in-law were brought to tears when I did my piece honoring her and Judy Malley. Judy Malley is in hospice and she is terminally ill. Bob took time away from his wife to give the Bond's a ride from Buffalo to the meet. I didn't expect that, but that says an awfull lot about Bob Malley. It was a case where I didn't expect Bob to do this, but I didn't want to take this away from him because he may have needed this break.

Bob has had a bad three years, but he had a good day and lots of smiles on his face by doing what he did for Terry & Susan. The sign board on the front of the bus read 'special' because it was a special event.

As I mentioned in my speech, from the time my dad and I got involved with AACA, both Bob and Janet have made both of us feel like we've always known them. I feel bad for them, and I feel bad for them and their families because of the turmoil that these people live through every day. They are in my thoughts and prayers.

As for you, eight years ago you and a guy by the name of Peter Heizmann extended your hands out to a soldier who was serving overseas in a war zone. You gave this person a lot of moral support and friendship at a time when he needed it, and it's never been forgotten.

Guest boettger

O.K. Bill,

DF get together and meting spot at Hershey!

Wednesday, Tursday and Friday Evening at Hershey.

Spaces CS 12-16.

I'll have a few extra packages of hot dogs to throw on the Barbe for anyone that wants

to stop by. Be prepared to get your picture taken.

This will be a very informal get together. I'll have plenty of chirs to rest your weary bones.

O.K. Bill,

DF get together and meting spot at Hershey!

Wednesday, Tursday and Friday Evening at Hershey.

Spaces CS 12-16.

I'll have a few extra packages of hot dogs to throw on the Barbe for anyone that wants

to stop by. Be prepared to get your picture taken.

This will be a very informal get together. I'll have plenty of chirs to rest your weary bones.

boettger,

I started my annual list of who will be at Hershey, and where they will be, with this information. You can let me know later what times the meetings will be. :)

Guest Stonefish

Had a great weekend! Venue was great....thank God for the breeze! Took Pat's directions up...but shaved 30 minutes going home rolling down Seneca to WG and 15 home. Nice meeting Peter DeGroff and fellow Millersville Alumni Walt Colton!! Always great hanging out with my good friend Charlie Russo (great pizza) and seeing another great friend Peter Burgess, who drove up to judge. Love the finger lakes...and can't wait to come back again! Sorry if I didn't meet up with any other DF'ers! Maybe next time!

PS...an 83 Rabbit may not be everyone's idea of an antique car...it sure worked out well hauling cases of wine back to PA(HATCHBACK)!!!

Always great hanging out with my good friend Charlie Russo (great pizza) and seeing another great friend Peter Burgess, who drove up to judge.

So where did you get the pizza at?? Pontillo's is the best place in town. If you like chicken wings, JJ Wingers is about the best place for wings. I saw a lot of cars at a lot of the restaurants, so I'm sure the various owners were quite pleased. I know the owner of Steamboat Landing wants us to come back after he gets the hotel built. The plans are already on the table to increase the size of the banquet room to seat 500 people. If the demand for the banquet had been large enough, we would've put a tent up on the patio and had the awards banquet lakeside.

I hope all of the judge's enjoyed their breakfast. Instead of cramming everyone into a gymnasium, I thought it would be nice to put people in a nice banquet facility where you could look out and enjoy the view of the lake, and eat a good meal. I had one complaint from one lady who wanted to be crammed into a gym and stare at the bleachers, so when I get a chance I'll have to apologize to her for wanting to treat the judges with some class.:mad::mad:

Also in case I didn't already mention it, history was also made. If you made it over to the fire trucks, my dad and I had the ladder truck and the '42 Ford pumper, and next to the Ford, Jerry Clement had his 1937 Buffalo Sedan Pumper. All three of those trucks are former Canandaigua fire trucks. From 1949-1955 if you had a fire in Canandaigua, that was the fire department at that time. How many fire departments do you know of where an entire fleet from a certain era is still in existence?? In the case of Canandaigua, they're not only still in existence, but also at an AACA Meet in the original hometown where they once served.

I would like to thank Charlier for bringing us items for our hospitality.

Pat, you are very welcome. Thanks to you and the entire Team that went the extra mile to host a GREAT Meet. I agree with others here that the meet was very well organized. The man upstairs really watched over the show as far as the weather was concerned. After hearing the VERY heavy rain early Saturday morning, I am probably not the only participant & judge who appreciated that all aspects of the show were on blacktop. The person who sang the National Anthem did an EXCELLENT job. I heard a number of positive comments from a number of people about how well it was done. So glad I was able to attend the banquet. Did you get any ribbing about wearing a jacket and tie? Nice speech BTW. The locations for registration, the member meeting/Judging School/Friday night dinner and entertainment, the Judges Breakfast and Banquet were very nice. I am sure I am not the only Judge that enjoyed the Judges Breakfast at Steamboat Landing. Maybe after a few years rest and after the hotel is built at Steamboat Landings, we can all return to Canandaigua for a Grand National? Will the hotel be built by 2014 or 2016? Will the construction at FLCC be done by then? ;)

Wayne - I bet you never thought you would run into me so much at this meet over the course of the weekend. It was nice to see you, have breakfast and judge together.

windjamer - It was so nice to finally meet you and your family at the meet after missing each other at so many other meets.

Bhigdog - It was great to meet you and the "hitchhiker" you brought along to the meet. After seeing the weather forecast for Sunday I hitched up after the banquet and found a parking spot at my hotel. Still ended up getting wet loading up. Most of the way home I managed to either follow or stay ahead of the storms. Finally two of the storms caught up with me on Routes 80 & 81. The heavy rain and very strong winds made for an interesting ride.

McHinson - I agree that a DFer meeting at more than just Hershey would be nice. Maybe at Louisville?

Ron - It was great having dinner Thursday night with you and Julie. The Pizza at Pontillo's really hit the spot. The owner of the B&B you stayed at knows where to get GOOD Pizza.

It was nice to see other AACA members at the meet including Peter Heizmann, Pete DeGroff and Peter Burgess.

I am sure I will think of some other things to say about the meet in the coming days. Hopefully, by the end of the week, I will have the photos I took at the meet posted in the photo gasllery.

charlier,

Yes, Louisville sounds great to me for a DFer meeting!

I have not been kidding Pat about the coat and tie, but I did laugh at the photo of me that Wayne posted. I normally wear a coat and tie to the Banquet but thought I would dress down for this one. So Wayne caught me without a tie and Pat is in the background wearing a coat and tie.

Even if he had not been wearing a tie, Pat showed what a class act he is at the banquet as well as at other times. Yes, you are right. He gave a great speech!

Maybe after a few years rest and after the hotel is built at Steamboat Landings, we can all return to Canandaigua for a Grand National? Will the hotel be built by 2014 or 2016? Will the construction at FLCC be done by then?

Don't hold your breath on that one Charlie. I would be willing to do it again if my committee chairs were willing to step up to the plate again. If they wouldn't do it, I won't do it.

Of everything that went down, the problems that we had mostly centered around one person, and I tried to remove that person before the meet, but was overridden by my own board. In either case, I saw the issues on the horizon, I tried to change it, and was forced to ride out the storm. We survived it, but the people who overrode me later realized that I was right.

The college will be done by then, and the hotel should be done by 2012. The hotel was supposed to be done in May, 2010, but small town bickering prevented it. The sad part is that several of you were forced to drive to Victor, and the city of Canandaigua lost a lot of tax revenue because of it.

Yes I have gotten a TON of ribbing about the jacket and tie!! The program chairman wanted a picture of me in a jacket and tie for the program, I wouldn't do it, and if you notice, I'm the only one in the program who wasn't pictured!!:D:D:D

As for Pontillo's, I'm a customer of Ted's (the owner), the manager used to be in my fire department with me back when I was a chief, so we were able to sell an ad in our program from Pontillo's. That is THE BEST pizza in town. They're one of very few places in Canandaigua that doesn't deliver, but their business is big enough to where they can barely keep up at times. If they delivered, it would be more business than they could handle.

I have not been kidding Pat about the coat and tie, but I did laugh at the photo of me that Wayne posted. I normally wear a coat and tie to the Banquet but thought I would dress down for this one. So Wayne caught me without a tie and Pat is in the background wearing a coat and tie.

Even if he had not been wearing a tie, Pat showed what a class act he is at the banquet as well as at other times. Yes, you are right. He gave a great speech!

Thanks Matt. It meant a lot to me when you said that you came up to the meet because I was involved in it. I even had a past national president tell me the same thing.

......Very humbling........

As for the tie, I probably wouldn't have worn it, but it had a fire truck on it.:D:D:D One of which was easily the same body style as the 47ft convertible.:D:D:D

Don't hold your breath on that one Charlie. I would be willing to do it again if my committee chairs were willing to step up to the plate again. If they wouldn't do it, I won't do it.

I realize that hosting a Meet is a LOT of WORK done by as LOT of People. Your entire Team deserves a BIG Thank You and Well Done for the fine job they did. Should it be decided a few years from now that they want to host a Grand National there I am sure many of us who had so much fun at this meet would consider returning once again.

The college will be done by then, and the hotel should be done by 2012. The hotel was supposed to be done in May, 2010, but small town bickering prevented it. The sad part is that several of you were forced to drive to Victor, and the city of Canandaigua lost a lot of tax revenue because of it.

Nice to know that current and future construction may be done in a few years. To bad the city lost out on the tax revenue. I stayed at the Super 8 Motel so, no doubt, the city got some tax revenue from my multi-day stay.

Yes I have gotten a TON of ribbing about the jacket and tie!! The program chairman wanted a picture of me in a jacket and tie for the program, I wouldn't do it, and if you notice, I'm the only one in the program who wasn't pictured!!:D:D:D

Sooner or later there are bound to be a few photos that may surface of you at the banquet looking sharp in the jacket and tie.

As for Pontillo's, I'm a customer of Ted's (the owner), the manager used to be in my fire department with me back when I was a chief, so we were able to sell an ad in our program from Pontillo's. That is THE BEST pizza in town. They're one of very few places in Canandaigua that doesn't deliver, but their business is big enough to where they can barely keep up at times. If they delivered, it would be more business than they could handle.

When Ron & Julie Mann and I had dinner at Pontillo's thursday night they had a steady stream of customers and LOTS of take out flew out the door while we were there. I did not notice their ad in the program but I am glad we ended up supporting a local business that supported the Meet.

BTW, I missed seeing the fire truck on your tie at the banquet. Why am I not surprised you have a tie like that?

MCHinson - We have a few more weeks to see if a DFer meet can be arranged sometime during the Louisville Meet. Heck if the Banquet seating is not assigned maybe we could corral a few tables in an area of the hall and have dinner together? If that is not feasible, there might be another day/time that works for most DFers to get together for a while.

I do agree with you that regardless of his attire Pat did show us he is a class act. Seeing him and his team in action during the meet was very clear evidence of that. No doubt about it.

My thanks also to Pat and the GVACS, and the other nearby regions for a well run meet. A few snags but nothing worth mentioning. I wish we could have stayed longer, as I miss my Watkins Glen "fix". Maybe I will return for a race. Never will match the late 50s early 60s including the GPs.

John

I do agree with you that regardless of his attire Pat did show us he is a class act. Seeing him and his team in action during the meet was very clear evidence of that. No doubt about it.

Charlie, it's not about class, it's all about trying to do the right thing.:o:o:o

By the way, I won't be packing a suit with me when we go to Louisville, so you better get your licks in while you still can.:P:p:p

We also stayed at the Super 8

Nice to know that current and future construction may be done in a few years. To bad the city lost out on the tax revenue. I stayed at the Super 8 Motel so, no doubt, the city got some tax revenue from my multi-day stay.

What a great meet. It was easy to get to all the various venues and parking was never a problem. Hats off to all involved in pulling off a top shelf event. Just goes to show what a great organization AACA is and its members. For me the high point was Steve Moskowitz's 1903 curved dash Olds. Not only did I get to see it I had the pleasure to judge it too, what an unexpected treat! The reason I judge is I get to see some outstanding cars up close and personal and Steve's was sure one. Thanks to all for such an outstanding meet. Well done.

Edited by C4GY (see edit history)

Guest nphuffman

In case you forgot to purchase Spring Meet local merchandise or, if you were unable to attend the meet in Canandaigua, NY, there is a limited quantity of commemorative merchandise still available.

Commemorative posters -- $5.00 each plus $5.00 shipping - sent in mailing tube

• available with writing (see picture on page 11 in the March/April issue of Antique Automobile)• available without writing and anniversary insignia

Commemorative T-Shirts -- featuring Canandaigua Lake -- $15.00 each plus $5.00 shipping

Sizes available: Large (measures 22" across the chest)

XXL (measures 25 1/2" across the chest)

Commemorative note cards featuring the poster artwork -- packet of 10 -- $8.00 plus $2.00 shipping

Genesee Valley Antique Car Society cookbook (150 pages), "Good Cookin' and Car Lookin'"--Over 190 favorite recipes from GVACS members -- Appetizers, Beverages, Bread and Breakfast, Salads, Salad Dressings, Soups, Main Dishes/Entrees, Sauces and Marinades, Vegetables and Side Dishes, Candy, Cookies and Desserts.

$10.00 plus $5.00 shipping -- version with black and white antique car photos separating each section

$15.00 plus $5.00 shipping -- version with color antique car photos separating each section

Please direct your inquiries to Nancy Huffman, -- nphuffman@aol.com

We will work with you combine shipping on multiple orders.

Nancy Huffman

2010 Spring Meet Merchandise Chair

What a great meet. It was easy to get to all the various venues and parking was never a problem. Hats off to all involved in pulling off a top shelf event. Just goes to show what a great organization AACA is and its members. For me the high point was Steve Moskowitz's 1903 curved dash Olds. Not only did I get to see it I had the pleasure to judge it too, what an unexpected treat! The reason I judge is I get to see some outstanding cars up close and personal and Steve's was sure one. Thanks to all for such an outstanding meet. Well done.

We worked hard and put a lot of thought into it. We honestly tried, and it worked out in our favor.

As for Steve Moskowitz, I've never seen Steve bring a car out to a meet, so from the standpoint of a meet chairman's perspective, and as a host region, having Steve bring his car out was a tremendous honor.

As for Nancy's message on leftover merchandise, I'll sweeten the deal.

If you buy leftover meet merchandise, I'll include free delivery to Louisville.

Having the car there was an honor for me. I enjoyed sharing "Murphy" with everyone and knowing that it was the oldest car at the meet was pretty cool. I have not shown a car at a national meet since taking on this job but it is no reflection on other meets. I usually have far too much to do and it is just too inconvenient for me to bring a car. I cannot imagine showing a car at Hershey despite living only a couple of miles from the show!

Before taking on this job I have shown several cars since 1985 at national meets and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

This was a fresh restoration and despite my vow to drive the CDO, I promised my friend Tim to show it, promised the club to bring it to Louisville and I will bring it to Blacksburg to support James and his team running that show. I also owe a huge favor to a concours here in PA and will bring it there but I am committed to end the "show" circuit unless I have the chance to allow others to go for a ride or "drive" the car.

Steve, I missed my ride at NY, and knowing you probably were not going to drive it on the Founders Tour, I'm going to use my "rain check" at the next opportunity, probably Louisville. It's a fantastic car and you can be proud to show it anytime anyplace. Terry

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight my parents, Steph and I had dinner at Steamboat Landing. It's the first time I've been in the place since our awards banquet. It sure seems strange walking in the place and not seeing all you guys there.

Also if you get time, visit our website (www.gvacs.com) where you can see additional pictures from the 2010 Eastern Division National Spring Meet. You might want to see the picture of Terry Bond's reaction when he realized that he was riding to the meet aboard an antique bus.

In other news, the Canandaigua Lady still hasn't been fixed, so the ladies luncheon wouldn't have happened. In either case the boat isn't known for having a lot of mechanical problems, but I guess it wasn't meant to be,

The newspaper announced last week that the hotel has been approved, and it is expected to be complete in late 2011. The new Steamboat Landing will have 160 rooms, and the banquet room will be expanded to accomodate 500 people.

Also in the news, last Friday, the newspaper did a story how on June 18, 1873 a person by the name of Susan B. Anthony would be convicted for illegally voting during the 1872 presidential election. She would be convicted in the north courtroom of the Ontario County courthouse on Main Street Canandaigua (which is still used to this day).

One thing I didn't mention about Terry Bond's bus ride, was that the bus took Terry and Susan through the birthplace of Jell-o, due to time contraints, we were unable to give them time to tour the Jell-o Museum.

If my region gets the nerve to try this again, how many of you would be willing to come to a meet if we decided to do this again??

We have a board meeting Tuesday night, and it would be interesting to see how many people would do this again.

Of course if we did this, we would be doing it at Steamboat after the hotel would be built, and everything other than the showfield and judge's admin would be all held at Steamboat.

Who would be willing to do this again??

Hi, Folks.

Today, we were at the AACA Museum show in Hershey. (Super event to put on your calendars. Museum is open all day not to mention a wonderful, diversified display of vehicles on the grounds for everyone's taste).

While we were manning the AACA Membership booth/tent Steve Moskowitz, Sue & Dave Birchmire, and, I were discussing the absolutely beautiful area, Pat. (Lake, winery country, very scenic roads, etc.)

Steve had a good point: "What a great area to host a Tour". Consider that, please with your Region.

Regards,

Peter.

While we were manning the AACA Membership booth/tent Steve Moskowitz, Sue & Dave Birchmire, and, I were discussing the absolutely beautiful area, Pat. (Lake, winery country, very scenic roads, etc.)

Steve had a good point: "What a great area to host a Tour". Consider that, please with your Region.

I'll mention it, but I won't chair it. I've never been to a national tour, so I don't feel comfortable chairing one. If we did, I'd make sure that the tour included a visit to the birthplace of Jell-o (in honor of Terry Bond). I'll work on a committee, but won't chair a tour. If the guys want to do a meet, I'm game if the group wants to do it again. The problem is that most of my vacation time is spent doing meets, and I don't have the time to attend a tour, so I wouldn't want to tackle it unless I had a couple of tours under my belt.

Once the Steamboat Landing convention center gets built, it'll be a good place for it, and I'm sure the owner will welcome us back. The convention center was supposed to be finished when I submitted the application to do the meet, but small town politics prevented that from happening.

I'll keep you posted as the convention center materializes.

GVACS did the Founders tour back in I think it was 2001. Was very busy schedule but fun. They had something like 200 cars. (My windshield decal is still stuck to my bathroom mirror)

If they and/or Wayne Drumlins did something in the future, I'd try my best to attend.

If you would host a meet again I think a Grand National Meet would be the next logical step now that your organization did the 2010 EDSM.

With the projected completion date for Steamboat Springs in 2011 and allowing for delays, etc. a Grand National Meet in 2014 might be something to think about. That would give GVACS members 4 years to rest up, plan & prepare.

That is given that the Grand National in 2014 is not already spoken for.