ex98thdrill

2010 Eastern Division Spring Meet

Susan and Charlie,

I am amazed at the number of regions and chapters that don't have web sites and don' t distribute publications and information to members by the Internet. They are certainly missing an opportunity that our technology provides. Let's continue to encourage them to make use of modern methods. And a seminar at the Annual Meeting in Philadelphia would definitely be useful. (Unfortunately, there are regions and chapters who have never had anyone attend the AACA Annual Meeting either.)

Art Griffin

Let me try to address that Art!

I think all of this comes down to the aging of our club. Here in the Northern Neck, my son, the region's webmaster, got a job out of town, and moved on with his life. The job and his interest in music has required him to give up his webmaster duties. Our region has found no one to take over this duty. After 9 years, I have been able to find a replacement editor for our region, but again, no one ever showed an interest in taking on this task. From my experience, newsletter production, web hosting, and other internet work overwhelms most older members of AACA regions. I've done my best to explain that you don't have to have a world class newsletter or web site to pass on pertinent club information to AACA members. Anything is better than nothing, and as is usually the case, all of us learn more about a subject after using it regularly.

So, what to do? As Art mentioned, seminars are essential in getting the message out, but I think we need these seminars to occur more than just in Philly once a year. We need to have more on National Meets and Tours, and even regional at local club meetings, using a hands on approach. Of course the easiest way is to recruit new/young members, who actually grew up with this "new fangled" technologies. :) I'll be the first to admit that I don't know a lot about the web.

Hope that helps!

Wayne

Pat, Thanks SO Much for posting all the information regarding the 2010 EDSM. :D

Those of us who have to plan far ahead due to family and work REALLY appreciate it.

I do have some questions that I did not see the answers for in all the information that you posted. (I may have missed it so I apologize if I did.)

Will there be trailer parking? If so, where will it be located and will there be provisions for security should that be necessary? Once that information is available it will be easier to make reservations for accomodations knowing where trailers can be parked.

Once again, Thank You so Very Much for posting the information. :)

Charlie, you are more than welcome on the meet information. Right now we're both club members, but when the meet comes to town, I look at it as a standpoint of you becoming a customer of mine. I'm trying to put as much information out so you are not left scratching your head. The thing that I hate more than anything is to go into someplace blind only to arrive and find out that no one has a clue as to what's going on. I am trying my best to make sure that this doesn't happen. One way is to post this on the forum over 7 months out.

As for trailer parking I can only tell you this.

1. We have three parking lots at the college, all of them are paved, and the deal on the property has been finalized.

2. The spectator parking lot holds 539 cars (which I'm hoping is more than enough).

3. The trailer parking lot holds 333 cars.

4. The show field holds 2,700 cars. With a parking lot with 2,700 parking spaces, we can have a showfield bigger than Hershey and have no problems (please don't do this to me folks).

5. I have no intentions of having 2,700 cars show up, so I'm hoping to have at least 1,200 to 1,300 parking spots left over for having trailer parking immediately adjacent to the show field. Some of that area will be used for region worker parking, judge's parking and flea market.

6. I am working with the owner of a water park that has a paved parking lot for roughly 1,000 cars. This lot is 1-1/5 miles from the show field. We are still in the negotiating stage for overflow parking.

7. The owner of the banquet facility is in the process of building on a 6 story hotel onto the banquet facility that will not be done in time for the meet. He has between 1/2 and 3/4 of a mile of road frontage between the banquet facility and the host hotel that is vacant land on gravel. I have a verbal agreement with the owner of the banquet facility for parking to accomodate for a minimum of 100 trucks and car trailers to deal with overflow trailer parking.

8. As of this writing I have a region member who is working to secure the parking lot of the old Wal-Mart store. The old Wal-Mart store is 1/2 mile mile from the showfield. My intent is to use that for the people that show up on a Saturday morning and don't have the room or the time to unload.

9. We will most likely be charging a fee for trailers to pay for the land used for overflow trailer parking. If the lease is priced right and we have surplus funds, it will be paying for the overnight security (which we haven't nailed down yet).

As much as I hate to say this, the amount of trailer parking is going to boil down to how many people pull in with trailers and how well my people park them. Until registration closes, this whole trailer deal is going to be a crap shoot.

I hope this helps.

As to there being a website for all regions and chapters...

Obviously as AACA webmaster I'm all for it! And the AACA provides the hosting free to the regions.

However, being a regional webmaster does require some knowledge of how to build and maintain a website. I originally was a big fan of Frontpage from Microsoft as the tool to use to maintain a regional website. Unfortunately it has been discontinued. Now I simply recommend that a regional webmaster find the tool that meets their budget and experience and I try to adapt to their hosting needs.

Peter

Susan and Charlie,

I am amazed at the number of regions and chapters that don't have web sites and don' t distribute publications and information to members by the Internet. They are certainly missing an opportunity that our technology provides. Let's continue to encourage them to make use of modern methods. And a seminar at the Annual Meeting in Philadelphia would definitely be useful. (Unfortunately, there are regions and chapters who have never had anyone attend the AACA Annual Meeting either.)

Art Griffin

Oh no Art, we have a website, but not everything is nailed down yet, so that's why it isn't posted. I placed this on the forum because it gives people the personal touch and a direct line into the meet chairman. Many of the things I have done myself, but if I didn't do this, I either have the answer or know where to find the answer. My phone is already starting to ring off the hook, so if this knocks out a couple of rounds of phone tag, this is time well spent putting out this information early. I don't want people booking rooms in the host hotel and then get mad because all of the activities are taking place someplace else. By doing this, everyone knows why things have been moved.

Susan, for more information on the race track, go to www.canandaiguaspeedway.com/ This is a 1/2 mile dirt track. I'd say one of the most successfull drivers to get his start in racing at this track was former Nationwide Series driver Mike "Magic Shoes" McLaughlin. As I mentioned, this track is a mile from the showfield and they run on Saturday nights.

If you decided to catch a Friday night race, Black Rock Speedway in Dundee, NY runs there as well. For information on that track go to www.blackrockspeedway.com/. During the week when the Nascar boys come up to run Watkins Glen, Tony Stewart almost always comes in and runs a car in the Friday night race.

Hey we are from Titusville Pa. will there be a swap meet also?

Vern Barker

Not like Hershey, and only if vendors show up. I have stressed very heavily with my committee chairs that that the food vendors will be downwind from the cars so that the smoke isn't blowing grease on the cars.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

ex, Thanks for the info. on the racetracks. I just told Bill today that I have the dates for the show and about the racetrack. He had actually heard of it the one that is close.

Susan, Art, Wayne & Peter I agree with all of you that those that are missing out on the benefits of modern technology to help with meets, tours and just running a Region or Chapter need assistance. There are many challenges when it comes to embracing & learning about the Technology and how to use it. I have no doubt that those within the AACA that have the expertise will find a way to share it with those that need assistance.

Peter, Once again Thank You for creating the Meets & Tours Forum.

I have used MS Frontpage for a number of years for my auto related web site.

It is hard to believe that my web site has been around for almost 14 years now.

Going forward my challenge is to find web site software that can handle the size of my web site (33,000+ pages & images).

My current version of Frontpage gets bogged down dealing with a site of that size.

Pat, I can appreciate your thoughts on AACA Members becoming a "Customer" when AACA Members get to town.

Being in the Information Technology field many of my co-workers are customers when it comes to the support I give them on a daily basis.

Thanks so much for the information about the trailer parking. I really appreciate it. I too would rather not go somewhere blindly especially when I am towing my show car. Trying to track down a parking spot for a trailer at the last minute after a long drive is not my idea of fun.

When it comes to a fee for trailer parking I have absolutely no problem paying for it. BTW, speaking of trailer parking, when I signed up for trailer parking at the Gettysburg Meet they requested the length of my tow rig. No doubt they used that for planning purposes. Doing that might come in handy for your meet as well.

Thanks Charlie. Understand that our intentions are to give preferential trailer parking to the race cars and brass cars so that they can be driven onto the showfield without causing a problem with traffic. I have been given the blessing from the director of campus safety to allow the race cars and brass cars to be driven onto the show field without getting ticketed.

One of the things I have neglected to mention involves the owners of scooters and motorcycles. New York State has a helmet law, so if you are riding your scooter and/or motorcycle in, you will have to wear a helmet.

Of course I'm not done putting out information, but I am trying to get as much out there as soon as I can so that everyone who plans on coming knows what's going on, where it's going on, and how we plan to do things. Of course there will be last minute changes, but understand what our intent is, and be willing to work with us if we are forced to change our intent by someone else.:o:o:o

Hi,

For those concerned about the ethanol problem, we have ethanol free gas in Canandaigua. Check out the photo

See you in Canandaigua 2010

Bill Boudway

post-30916-143138122145_thumb.jpg

Hi,

For those concerned about the ethanol problem, we have ethanol free gas in Canandaigua. Check out the photo

See you in Canandaigua 2010

Bill Boudway

If I'm not mistaken Bill is referring to Tom's Gulf on Main Street next to Pizza Hut.

By the way, just so you all know Bill is one of my hardworking volunteers helping me to bring a good meet to everyone.

By the way, just so you all know Bill is one of my hardworking volunteers helping me to bring a good meet to everyone.

AND a very nice man for sure. I got to see and talk to him again this year at Hershey. :)

And I am looking forward to your show ex. I know that you will make every effort to make this a great event for everyone.

I was at a Vintage Chevrolet Club Meet this past summer in that area, it was fantastic! I lived in New York all of my life and never had the pleasure to travel to that part of the state until then. The Curtis Museum was great.

I am looking forward to your show ex. I know that you will make every effort to make this a great event for everyone.
Well we're going to do our best. I have a lot of good people behind me, and we'll do the best that we can do. I know that Hershey has been doing a meet every year since 1955, and they're not perfect, so being a first timer I know that I'd consider myself lucky if things come off as good as what Hershey does.

This meet business is tough stuff. I do encourage others to get involved because if you did, you'd gain a little more understanding and appreciation for what the Hershey Region does each and every year. Hershey does their meet every year, but it seems between the Township of Derry, HERCO, etc. they still get thrown a curve ball. THings seem to be pretty well in place with us, but knowing the curve balls that Hershey gets thrown to them, we won't have the experience to work through them like the Hershey Region does.

The biggest thing is that I want it perfectly clear about the host hotel and why things were moved.

Hey guys,

Could you all do a favor for me??

Would some of you mind putting the preliminary information in your region newsletters??

I put this out on the forum, and my phone is still ringing off of the hook, and everytime I get a phone call about a host hotel, I'm sounding like a broken record. If you would forward information about not getting down to the host hotel, you'd be of a tremendous help for me.

Speaking of Host Hotel, if you plan on staying at the Canandaigua Inn on the Lake (labelled as our host hotel), As of Sunday morning they're down to 27 rooms. That doesn't mean that we won't get more, but if nothing changes and you want to stay there, you'd better do it quick.

We are going to do more advertising, but my phone is ringing off the hook before we can get it done.

Hi All- My name is Bill Preston and when I am not lurking here I agreed to be Field Marshall for Pat and the EDSM. Since I had that foolish semi-senior moment and I just read this entire thread I thought I would pitch in.

Pat is working his tail off on this meet! Even this thread was new to me and I was amazed at how much info he has put up. Peter, I also appreciate the new Forum for Meets, that is how I saw it.

Now I have to update some of Pat's info before he really has my butt in big, highly mounted sling!

- There are three parking areas at FLCC (Finger Lakes Comm College) campus we are using. The spectator parking is the front lot and is about 540 cars.

- The upper lot is smaller and we will use it for RV parking for the meet. It will be dry camping only and can probably hold forty-fifty rigs. It is "upper" because it is on top of a hill on the other side of the academic buildings near the athletic fields. A reasonable fee will be charged.

- The largest lot on the west side of the campus will be our main area with multiple uses. It is about 2700 normal parking spaces in size. As Pat said, all this is on pavement

At this time I have laid out a blueprint to include room for 700 show vehicles with flexibility to expand as needed. Adjacent to the show field will be room for the flea market and car corral including AACA souvenir tent, etc. After setting aside parking for our workers and judges next to that we will have room for about 150 trailers on site to fill the lot. This trailer parking is for classes 1-17 roughly, or all the race cars and early cars. We will have enough other parking within 1-2 miles for another 200 trailers or more. None of this parking will require driving on main roads to get to the show field.

The flex in my plan comes at the expense of on site trailers. I can expand the show field very easily but it cuts down on available parking. Also the field will include two (for now) food courts. Judging administration and a few events will be held at CMAC Performing Art Center, about 500 yards from the show field, within the campus.

I know Pat is optimistic but I cannot handle 2700 show cars, 333 trailers and a flea market on site! Sometimes you just gotta reel the boss back in off that thin branch! Now- if you all really WANT to show up with 2700 vehicles we'll figure it out. It'll be three weeks of sleepless work at the last minute in May but hey, sleep is highly over rated at times........ Bill

I know Pat is optimistic but I cannot handle 2700 show cars, 333 trailers and a flea market on site! Sometimes you just gotta reel the boss back in off that thin branch! Now- if you all really WANT to show up with 2700 vehicles we'll figure it out. It'll be three weeks of sleepless work at the last minute in May but hey, sleep is highly over rated at times........ Bill

In all honesty, it seems like this meet is getting bigger, and bigger and bigger. At first my initial thoughts were 400-600 cars, and the estimates keep growing. I'll be the first to admit that it isn't optimism, it's FEAR!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Bill is working his tail off too, and since my last post on this thread, Bill and I have secured the overflow trailer parking. This parking will be on Lakeshore Drive in Canandaigua. This parking is smack dab between the host hotel and the banquet facility. Some of this will be blacktop, gravel or grass. The bottom line is the quicker you come to town, the better parking spot that you can get.

Across the street from the trailer parking is Kershaw Park, so other than a few trees and traffic going by, you will have an unobstructed view of the lake from trailer parking. To the east side of Kershaw Park is Steamboat Landing where Judge's Breakfast, Hospitality, Registration, Thursday night Activity and the Awards Banquet will all be taking place. There is a trail that will allow you to walk from trailer parking to the banquet facility along the lake.

At the east end of the overflow trailer parking will be a Hess station where you can gas up the truck, trailer and show car. Besides gas, the Hess station has a Blimpie Sub counter, and has everything that any other mini mart would have. Next to that is an auto parts store.

To the north of the trailer parking lot there is a plaza that has a Burger King, Tim Horton's, Wendy's, McDonald's, Subway, Ponderosa Steakhouse and Pontillo's Pizza.

In either case, you will have many amenities within a very short distance.

I'll also inform you all that on Thursday night we will have an ice cream social at the banquet facility but instead of having Laurel & Hardy movies, we'll have a presentation put on by a man with a last name Gillespie. I can't think of his first name (I've never met him), but he is a historian and an artist who will discuss wince country and the history of Watkins Glen International, the home of New York's Thunder Road!! He will have his artwork on display and for sale at our meet as well. So come on in Thursday night, enjoy the ice cream, and learn a little but about the history of road racing in New York. Hear stories about guys like Paul Newman, Briggs Cunningham and the other drivers and cars that turned laps.

Just to give you a heads up, it has come to my attention that the Lake Erie Region has already booked a block of 40 rooms at the Super 8 in Canandaigua. If you want to book a room close to the showfield, it needs to be done NOW!!!

Well time to get off of my soapbox and respond to e-mails. As I've said, the more that I can put out, the less questions that I'll have to answer. The best thing that everyone can do for me is forward this information to your local regions to the people who don't have computers. The fewer phone calls and e-mails that I can answer, the more that I can get done for the meet.

My presence on the forum has been very limited at best, but not because of being upset with anyone.

Thanks,

Pat.

PS. The meet starts 7 months from tomorrow!!

See you there Ted. The easiest way for you would be to take I-90 and get off at Thruway exit #44 (mile marker #346) and head south on Route 332. Route #332 ends at Canandaigua Lake and takes you right past the show field.

Just so you know, the Super 8 is about a 1-1/4 miles northwest of the show field, and it is right on Routes 5&20. The Super 8 is the closest "chain" motel to the show field.

If you want to take the long and scenic route, you can pick up Route #20 right in downtown Albany between the Governor's mansion and the state capitol building. If you're hauling your car in on a trailer, I'd get on the Thruway and pay the tolls. The governor needs the money to get re-elected next year.:eek::eek::eek:

Just to give you a heads up, it has come to my attention that the Lake Erie Region has already booked a block of 40 rooms at the Super 8 in Canandaigua. If you want to book a room close to the showfield, it needs to be done NOW!!!

Another one bites the dust....

I called this hotel this morning and booked my room.

The nice lady that took my reservation did not know about the AACA block of rooms until she checked "The Book". Then she knew what I was talking about. :D

Pat thanks once again to you and the others working this event for keeping AACA Members informed. Now back to work... You have less than 7 months left until the meet. ;):D

Pat thanks once again to you and the others working this event for keeping AACA Members informed. Now back to work... You have less than 7 months left until the meet. ;):D
Charlie I appreciate your support. With the meet being 6-1/2 months out I don't know if I should be scared or happy. This has already been 2 years of beating the bushes to make this happen, plus the e-mails and phone calls I have had my hands full. At this point I don't know if June, 2010 will bring fear or relief. Once the meet is over it'll mean less of a workload, but as the event gets closer the fear will increase.

You have my word that I'm trying to see that my region provides everyone with a quality meet, but when I've never been in the management aspect of a national meet there will be mistakes made and we're doing our best. I have a good group of people behind me, but this is no small task.

To add to the insult I'm also deep into tearing down and re-building a new firehouse in East Bloomfield. I am chairman of the board, I have to answer to the village and town boards, work with the membership of the fire department, the architect, the grant writers, the financial people, etc. I also have to get a referendum passed with the taxpayers authorizing me to spend almost 3 million dollars of their money.

When I can get everyone off of my back and get the approval, I then will have to ensure that the contractors get everything done on time and according to contract. The building will be levelled and rebuilt on its' original site. During this time, the town's 1934 Diamond 'T' pumper will be sharing a building with our two antique Canandaigua fire trucks.:):)

To top it off I'm getting calls from the media about the firehouse and the meet, so I have many irons in the fire. There are times when I have a tough time keeping up, and they're times when I can't keep up.

Bear in mind, this is all over and above my full time job.

If I don't get back to you guys in a timely manner, go easy on me...

Hi,

"Anyone who isn't scared doesn't know what is happening".

So, be scared and also happy. "We're all in this together"

Words of wisdom from some long forgotten prophet.

****MEET UPDATE****

Our brochure is on our region website, go to www.gvacs.com and click on the link for the meet. We may add a thing or two on the ladies luncheon, but everything else is nailed down.

WINE TOUR

Just to give you another update, the weekend prior to Thanksgiving my wife and I did a dry run on the wine tour in an attempt to identify the best places to go. My wife is in charge of the tours.

If you plan on attending Judging School, I do not think we will be able to get you back from the wine tour on time for school. If you plan on judging at our meet and want the wine tour, I'd recommend that you get your Judging School in prior to attending our meet.

For those interested parties, the plan is to charter a bus for the wine tour and go around Seneca Lake. Seneca Lake is the largest of the finger lakes, and there are over 60 wineries on and around Seneca Lake.

At this point and time our intention is to stop at three wineries on the east side of Seneca Lake, and three wineries on the west side of Seneca Lake. My wife and I have been taking the time to decide which wineries can accomodate a bus and a group on a bus, find a place to serve lunch, and then pick the best 6 wineries out of the 60, and try to limit the time spend at each winery at 45 minutes per winery. This is no easy task, so please bear with us.

If the numbers on the tours are up high, we will charter a second bus, send one bus down the west side of Seneca Lake, one bus down the east side of Seneca Lake, and most likely the two will either have lunch at the same spot, or will pass each other in the Watkins Glen area.

The bus is scheduled to depart at 9:30 and most likely won't be back until around 4pm. We cannot leave any sooner because the wineries do not open until 10am. Because of the late opening time for the wineries, we cannot leave earlier to get the buses back in time. Even if you're not a drinker and someone with you is, it's worth the bus ride just for the view.

Five years ago after the AGNM was in Buffalo, Peter Heizmann stopped by to visit my dad and I, as well as see our car collection, along with the town's antique fire truck, and the collection of my father's best friend, Roger Hawkins. When Peter left our house, I sent him down Route #14, and he followed half of the wine tour route on his way home.

Friday night after Judging Schools, we're going to the Friday night activity at the same amphitheater where the Roundtable Discussion and Judging School will be taking place. We'll have a bluegrass band performing, and a catered meal. I'm not sure what the meal will be, but I'm sure you'll have a good meal, and the entertainment will be even better.

In either case, we're not doing a perfect meet, but I've got a very good group of people behind me that are working very hard to give you all a good show. We will be set up at Philly with fliers and information, so you can speak with me at Philly, visit the website, or contact me.

Thank you.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)

jack gto'

Check above posts on the thread (#44) - they have info on the hotels. Only one chain close, I think, the rest are Lake Front high quality, high price and B & Bs, I believe.

John