2010 Eastern Division Spring Meet

ex98thdrill

Bill,

I have a few questions for you relating to trailer parking for the meet.

My apologies if they have been asked already in this thread or elsewhere.

- What days of the week before the meet will trailer parking be open to people needing to park their trailers for the meet?

- When will trailer owners be able to park or have access to their trailers during the meet? (ie sunrise to sunset or specific times on certain days of the week)

I may have to be up in the Rochester/Buffalo area on business the Mon-Fri before the meet.

I hope to be able to combine the business trip and the meet together to save myself two round trips to that area in one week.

Being able to drop my trailer and not have to tow it to our company locations in Rochester/Buffalo would be a big help.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Pat, let me echo the remarks I've heard as we travel around - you are doing a fanstastic job communicating info about the meet! It will serve as a fine example for those hosting future events. This Forum can be a dynamite tool!!!

We're looking forward to whatever "surprise" youve got in store for us. I know it'll be great and memorable. Looking forward to it.

Terry

Pat, there are AACA class signs and other show signs that we have been passing around from region to region who would like to use them for a National meet. I turned them over to the First Capital Chapter in North Carolina to use at the Annual Grand National Meet in New Bern next month. They have been used in Michigan, Tennessee, and Florida so far. Use of these signs saves clubs from having to make new signs if they don't already have a set. They have wire supports, so they work best on grass rather than asphalt or concrete.

If your region is interested in using them, they can be picked up after the Grand National Meet in New Bern. Otherwise, I will take them back to Florida for storage. The Roanoke Valley Region is considering using them at Blacksburg, VA in August, but they haven't made a decision at this moment.

I would like to attend your meet, but we plan to be in NY State after the 75th Anniversary Celebration in Louisville, KY rather than before. My wife's mother will be celebrating her 95th birthday over in the Cooperstown area, and it doesn't work to make two trips to NY State before we then head to Michigan to visit our kids.

Art Griffin

Cape Canaveral Region

(artgriffin@yahoo.com)

Art, I'll take the signs. We'll be in New Bern with the fire truck, so we can bring them back with us, and we'll send them home to you. You're right this is a HUGE savings.

Charlie,

I'm going to answer your questions in RED.

I have a few questions for you relating to trailer parking for the meet.

My apologies if they have been asked already in this thread or elsewhere.

- What days of the week before the meet will trailer parking be open to people needing to park their trailers for the meet? We do not take possession of the parking lots until 12 noon on Thursday. If you need something sooner, let me know and we'll try to work something out. I live 9 miles west of the showfield, so if push comes to shove, I could squeeze you in at the house.

If that doesn't work, with me being chairman of the board at the fire department, and with my dad being the former head of the Highway Department, we could squeeze you in either at the Highway Department, or at the firehouse. With exception of Bill Boudway, I am the member from the host region who lives closest to the showfield. In order to keep as many hotel rooms available, I will be commuting back and forth every day.

- When will trailer owners be able to park or have access to their trailers during the meet? (ie sunrise to sunset or specific times on certain days of the week) As mentioned above, you can come and go anytime after 12 noon on Thursday. We'll have security during hours of darkness.

Thanks for answering my questions. Anytime Charlie.

Restorer 32,

I'm going to answer your questions in red.

Will there be designated Judges Parking and if I send an SASE with my registration will a pass be sent? Yes and No.

At this point there will be designated judges parking, and your parking will be on the west end of the show field. The quicker you get out of breakfast and to the showfield, the better parking spot you'll get.

As for passes, we haven't developed the passes yet, and we will not send them to you.

Being that the Judge's Breakfast is 1 mile away from the show field, we will have the passes available at Judge's Breakfast. If you don't show up to Judge's breakfast, you won't get the pass.

If you have a show car, we will have transportation available if you want to put your car on the showfield, and then go to breakfast.

Judges will have a separate entrance onto the showfield than the spectators and show cars.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, let me know.

Pat, let me echo the remarks I've heard as we travel around - you are doing a fanstastic job communicating info about the meet! It will serve as a fine example for those hosting future events. Terry, as a meet chairman I have many, many irons in the fire. I work full time (midnights), my dad and I still have our car collection and go to meets, plus chairing the meet, plus I'm chairman of the board at the Fire Department. It's one thing to be in charge of the board, but I'm also responsible for keeping all of the fire apparatus in running order. Among things, this also includes the 1934 Diamond 'T' pumper. On top of all of that, we are in the middle of trying to demolish and rebuild a new firehouse. To convince the voters in a town of 3,500 people to build something at the cost of $2.8 million is HUGE for a town this size, with the economy the way it is. We've been given the blessing, but now to get the final drawings, deal with the contractors, the bank, etc.

In the case of both projects, I attribute the success to the many good people who have dedicated themselves to stand behind me to achieve this. It is an honor to chair a meet, but to do it during the 75th anniversary of AACA means even more.

This Forum can be a dynamite tool!!!

With a thread with over 5,600 hits (and counting) I think I've proven that. In my case I can get the information out fast, I can do it for free, and I can use this to minimize the phone calls so I can keep up with things that are going on (I don't always do that well either).

We're looking forward to whatever "surprise" youve got in store for us. I know it'll be great and memorable. Looking forward to it. Trust me when I say this, you will remember what we're doing, and I can't wait to see the expression on your face.:eek::eek::eek:

In either case, remember that even if it goes wrong, our region has worked and tried very hard to do the right thing.

Picking up the judges parking pass at the breakfast is fine. Breakfast is mandatory so no problem. I am still in the "break in" phase with 2 new knees and long distance hiking is still a challenge. Thanks for your effort. Sounds like you have your ducks in a row!

Picking up the judges parking pass at the breakfast is fine. Breakfast is mandatory so no problem. That's exactly why they're being handed out at breakfast to eliminate them being passed around to non judges. With the judge's breakfast being offsite from the showfield, we can get away with not handing out the passes ahead of time. I am still in the "break in" phase with 2 new knees and long distance hiking is still a challenge. Thanks for your effort. Sounds like you have your ducks in a row! Thanks for your kind words. Take good care of those knees.

Something that Matt Hinson just brought to my attention that I didn't mention.....

We have onsite camping at the college for self contained camping at $30 a night. This will include your car trailer where you can keep your car with your motorhome.

You will see this option on our website, and you'll also see it on the registration form.

Pat & Bill,

Thanks very much for your offers of assistance and answers to my trailer related questions.

I will not know until closer to the meet if I will have to visit our Rochester & Buffalo company locations.

Should I need trailer parking before the meet parking lots are available, I will contact you or Bill as soon as I know my schedule.

BTW, today I mailed my registration so you can count me in among the many last-minute registrations you will be receiving in the next 10 days. :D

I mailed my registration so you can count me in among the many last-minute registrations you will be receiving in the next 10 days. :D

That's expected. My registration chair (Diane) spent the winter in Florida, she got back late last week, so now she's not only trying to get caught up, but she's also trying to prepare herself for the last minute rush.

I spoke to Diane Monday night, and right now we're hovering around 275 cars with 10 days left before registration closes.

For those of you who sent in SASE for confirmations:

This is the first time Diane has ever been a registration chair, and she is trying to get the confirmation letters back. Please bear with her while she's trying to get caught up. If you have a problem, let me know and I'll get an answer and get back to you.

I have had people come to my house wanting to join AACA just so they can put a car in the meet!! I've also had people who are not familiar with registering a car in a meet call me, come to my house, etc. so I've spent time on the phone, and I've had people physically come to my house to get them signed up.

If you don't get a speedy response from me, or another member of my region, bear with us. It's been 20 years since we've hosted a meet, and we're all doing the best that we can.

Thank you!!

For those of you who sent in SASE for confirmations:

This is the first time Diane has ever been a registration chair, and she is trying to get the confirmation letters back. Please bear with her while she's trying to get caught up. If you have a problem, let me know and I'll get an answer and get back to you.

Just an FYI to let you know, I received my confirmation for the meet in the mail yesterday. Pass along my thanks and a job "Well Done" to Diane. No doubt she will be a busy woman the next few days.

Just an FYI to let you know, I received my confirmation for the meet in the mail yesterday. Pass along my thanks and a job "Well Done" to Diane. No doubt she will be a busy woman the next few days.

YES SHE HAS!!!

Diane wasn't exactly sure how to do the confirmation letters, so at our meeting last Saturday I gave her the letter that I had recieved from Zach Simmons (Registration chair - New Bern AGNM) for the confirmation that I had for entering our fire truck.

We have picked up over 50 cars between Monday and Wednesday, and the mail is still coming.

UPDATE:

We had 25 applications arrive in yesterday's mail, and registration is now over 375 cars.

Due to the demand, we are extending our registration deadline to Friday May 7, 2010. I tried to extend the registration Deadline to May 17th, but my registration chair dug her heels in.:D:D:D

Please get your registrations in the mail to Diane by next Friday.

If by chance I someone should leave me a registration form and check in New Bern, I might forget to return it and hand deliver it to Diane and tell her that I had it sooner :D:D:D

Folks,

I received a call from AACA Headquarters asking for clarification, but I can't get the call into them until Monday.

So here is their answer and yours.....

The registrations have to be postmarked no later than Friday, May 7, 2010.

If you want to register it online this Friday, just make sure it finds a way to the post office this Friday as well.

As of this writing, our car entrys are at 408. Not huge, but still a pretty good sized meet.

URGENT:

The registration deadline is tomorrow!!! Please get your applications in the mail tomorrow!!. I tried to extend the registration Deadline one more time, but my registration chair still dug her heels in. Online registration on this website goes off midnight tomorrow night, otherwise you will have to mail it in.:D:D:D

I work tonight and I will be off and home all day tomorrow, if you want to get your vehicle in our meet, and you need assistance, call me and I will try to help you.

I can't help you any more than that.

ALSO:

The menu for the Friday night activity is as follows:

Grilled pork chops, baked lemon pepper chicken, baked ziti salt potatoes, green beans, mixed salad w/ asst. dressings, rolls, cookies & brownies, beverages (water, soda,iced tea, tea & coffee) with a cash bar available. This will be a buffet with a bluegrass band playing in an outdoor amphitheater. If it rains, you'll be under a roof. The band is good, and food will be even better!!

I have the latest update on available rooms if you so request. In either case, there are plenty of rooms.

Our meet count as of now has exceeded 430 cars and it is still climbing, and we're hovering around 10 vendors, and the last I looked we had 2 cars in the car corral. This is no Hershey, but still a respectable size for a national meet.

Folks we've done everything but clean your cars, so if you want to come to our meet, this is your last chance.....:eek::eek::eek:

UPDATE:

registration closes in a little more than 4 hours!!

I'm having computer and phone problems (All in 1 from Time Warner). If you have a question, call my cell phone. I'll do whatever it takes to get you registered.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

unfornately i wont be able to be there.

thats what i hate about pre registations.

Sorry to hear about that Ted. If something changes, we'll still be there.

As for the total count, we're hovering around 446 cars. I haven't talked to my registration chairperson since yesterday, but I know she's still getting stuff in the mail.

Hey Pat,Figured i would post this here.:)Congratulations :) on bringin home the hardware from New Bern.See you next month.diz
Thanks Dale.

You are one of the few people who saw that truck when it was in a pile in the middle of the barn floor. From the time that truck rolled into a shop I had a wartime deployment, my dad had two health issues, and through it all we got the truck together and went to the top with it.

There are two fire trucks that have won Senior AGNM awards in the state of New York. One of them is on Long Island (Coram, NY), the other is in East Bloomfield, NY, but BOTH of them are 1942 Ford / American LaFrance pumpers. Monday the boys from the Coram Fire Department called me at home and congratulated us on the win.

In either case it was a hard fought win, but we're proud of it. In two weeks the truck will be shown in its' hometown with all of the awards.

DRIVING DIRECTIONS:

Folks for those of you coming into our meet via I-81 at or below Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, please do the following:

If you're not coming to Canandaigua Via I-81, ignore this entire thread.

TURN OFF YOUR GPS

I am going to give you some directions that will save you 80 miles, but some of the road is new and GPS will not recognize it.

From I-81 south of Harrisburg:

At Mile marker 63, keep to the right and do not get into the express lane.

- If you get into the express lane, there is a Jersey barrier that will prevent you from getting off at the exit that I am trying to put you on.

- after you cross the Susquehana River you will see Exit 67.

- Turn off at Exit 67-B and follow the signs for Rte 322 West.

- The sign will say US 22 / Rte 322 W and it will read State College.

- After you cross the Susquehana River a second time, you will see a small restaurant on your right side that is "The Red Rabbit." After the Red Rabbit, your exit ramp is just past it.

Turn off of Rte 322 and follow the signs for US 15N / US 11N.

- The reason I'm sending you to Rte 322 and not keeping you on Rte 15 is due to the fact of reducing a lot of stop and go traffic through Harrisburg.

- When you get on Rte 15 north, about 5 miles north of Rte 322 you will see a School bus dealership on the left hand side (Wolfington). Just past Wolfington Bus Sales, there is a truck stop called Angie's. If you are pulling a car trailer, Angie's is the easiest place to get in for fuel for a long time. If you have less than half a tank of fuel, you should stop. There are other places to stop for gas, but if you have a trailer it is a lot harder to get into.

- Follow Rte 15 into Shamokin Dam.

- You are going to have a series of traffic lights (about 10 of them) through Shamokin Dam, if you need to stop at a restaurant, there is a good selection, it is accessible, and this is the best variety of places until you get to Williamsport.

- Follow through the series of about 10 traffic lights (about 2-1/2 miles) and when you drive under a bridge (there's only one) and you see a water tower on the left lettered "Shamokin Dam" be getting over towards the right lane and start preparing yourself for the next turn.

- There is a K-Mart on one corner and a place called "Tedd's Landing" at the intersection where you need to turn.

- GPS will try to keep you on Rte 15, and you will have all of the stop and go traffic, so ignore it.

Turn off of Rte 15 (right) and follow the signs for US 11N.

- You're going to cross the Susquehana River again.

- As soon as you cross the Susquehana, you'll go under a railroad bridge and turn left at the first traffic light that you come to.

Turn Left on Rte 147N.

- Stay on Rte 147N.

- Rte 147N will become I-180W as soon as you cross I-80.

- I-180W will take you into Williamsport, and Rte 15 will merge back into it just past the Wegmans store in Williamsport.

After you pass the factory that makes wire rope, keep the right and look for your next turn.

Take right on exit ramp marked US 15 Mansfield.

- Stay on Rte 15N until you get into the State of New York.

- Once you.

- I-180W will take you into Williamsport, and Rte 15 will merge back into it just past the Wegmans store in Williamsport.

- From Williamsport to the New York State Line you will not see a mile marker or an exit sign. The road is new, and they haven't decided on the mile markers or exit numbers.

- If you need to stop for fuel again, stop at the Bloossburg, PA exit. There is a Kwik Fill that is big enough to allow you to get trailers in and out of. From this Kwik Fill, you are 110 miles from Canandaigua, so it'll give you enough gas to get to our meet and get unhooked. It will also save you 15-20 cents a gallon in fuel costs than if you get gas before you get into New York State. I would highly recommend this to be your final fuel stop prior to rolling into our meet.

- As you get to Lawrenceville, Pennsylvania, that section of Rte 15 is brand new, so if you have your GPS on, it will show you going across a field, through creeks and it'll be telling you to turn around when possible, for this reason, ignore your GPS..

- When you get into New York State, there is another 5 mile stretch of two-lane road, but Rte 15 will go back to being a divided highway and take you into Painted Post, NY.

- When you get into Painted Post, NY follow the signs for 15N,

Follow the signs for I-390N.

- Stay on I-390 until you get to Cohocton, New York.

- Cohocton exit is mile marker #10, but exit #2. In New York our leadership in Albany isn't smart enough to have our exit numbers coincide with the mile marker numbers. Our future ex governer doesn't drive, so he has no motiviation to change it either.:D:D:D

Turn off Exit 2 Marked Cohocton.

- Go down the exit ramp, turn right, follow that road down onto Route #415 a short distance, and turn another right.

- GPS will want to keep you on I-390, but ignore it. If you follow GPS it'll either take you into East Avon, or it'll take you all the way into Rochester, and it'll extend your trip 30-60 miles.

- Caution, the speed zone coming down that hill is 30mph, and between the Steuben County Sheriff's Office and NYSP-Wayland, they write a lot of tickets in that area, don't speed through there.

Turn Right onto Rte 415.

- you'll cross the railroad tracks, go up the hill past the Cohocton Fire Dept. and you'll come out at a flashing red light.

Turn Left onto Rte 371.

- Follow Rte 371 into North Cohocton.

- Follow the signs that read Naples.

- Going from Cohocton to North Cohocton, you will see a bunch of wind turbines on the hills on both sides of the road.

- Just before you make your next turn you'll see Empire Ford Tractor on your right hand side. Just stay on Rte 371 until you see the Ford / Kubota tractor dealership.

Follow 371 into North Cohocton, bear right onto Rte 21

- Follow Rte 21 into Naples.

- Rte 21 takes you directly into Canandaigua.

- Naples is at the south end of Canandaigua Lake, where Canandaigua is at the north end. You will be driving up the entire distance of Canandaigua Lake.

- From North Cohocton, Route #21 will take you into Naples, the hamlet of Woodville, the hamlet of Bristol Springs, the hamlet of Cheshire and into Canandaigua.

When Rte 21 merges onto NY Rte 5 & US Rte 20, stay on Rtes 5 & 20.

- Follow Routes 5&20 into Canandaigua.

- Route #21 turns left onto Main Street (Rte 332), but you want to continue east of 5&20.

Turn Right on Rte 364 and follow our signs.

- Rte 364 ends at Rtes 5&20, so there's only one way you can go, there is a plaza with a Taco Bell at that same intersection.

- The traffic light prior to Rte 364 is where there is a Wegmans store, when you see Wegmans, you are getting very close.

Where Route 364 intersects with Lakeshore Drive do the following:

- If you have a trailer, go straight through the intersection, and keep going south, you will see a large parking lot on your left side less than 1/2 mile south of Lakeshore Drive, that is where our show field and trailer parking lot. If registration is close to closing, let our people know and we can call registration and have your folder pulled and ready for you. The biggest thing is get parked and get unhooked.

- If you don't have a trailer, turn right at the light onto Lakeshore Drive, and go approximately 3/4 mile to Steamboat Landing. Steamboat Landing will be on your left side between Lakeshore Drive and the Lake.

- If you're driving onto the showfield with you car, or as a spectator, turn left at the light onto Lakeshore Drive and take the main entrance into the college. This will prevent you from getting tangled up in all of the traffic from people unloading trailers.

- If you're hauling your car with a trailer, stay off of Lakeshore Drive. There is a wide median with high curbs, and you are taking a huge risk at catching a curb and cutting a tire on your trailer.

Folks there's nothing more that I can say or do for you. At this point you're on your own. We can make it to Hershey in 4-1/2 hours with our pickup with a fire truck on it. We wrote all of these directions down specifically while on our way home from New Bern. You can go to Syracuse, but you're looking at 70 miles farther, you're looking at tolls, and if anything happens on the NYS Thruway, you're looking at a lot of money to get your problem resolved. A lot of the way that I'm sending you is on a new road, it's smooth (in PA), it's very scenic, but GPS doesn't recognize a lot of it. I'll be the first to tell you that it is one of the more gorgeous drives that you'll ever make.

If you get gas at the places that I listed, you can easily fit your truck and trailer in, and you can reduce your costs by not having to fill up in New York, and you won't be taking any chances of running out of gas coming up those roads.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)

Hey guys,

Just so you also know, my phone has been acting up. I had a guy who was asking me questions about judging and my phone cut out on him. If you can't get me, try my dad's number or my cell. I've been having issues with my all in one through Time Warner. In either case, it wasn't a case of me being rude.

Other than the bypass you mentioned at "Tedd's Landing" we have been using this route for years to go to Hershey and to my son's place in MD. It is a good road and any time you lose in a the few slow spots are not enough to make up the difference in time (not even counting the savings on tolls with a trailer). I did the 81 route a few times years ago before 15 was improved to the level it is today to come back from Hershey and my best time was equal and I had to drive much faster and used more fuel to do it. With the improvements I don't think you could make up the 70 miles today.

I may have to try the "Tedd's Landing" bypass the next trip.

Other than the bypass you mentioned at "Tedd's Landing" we have been using this route for years to go to Hershey and to my son's place in MD. It is a good road and any time you lose in a the few slow spots are not enough to make up the difference in time (not even counting the savings on tolls with a trailer). I did the 81 route a few times years ago before 15 was improved to the level it is today to come back from Hershey and my best time was equal and I had to drive much faster and used more fuel to do it. With the improvements I don't think you could make up the 70 miles today.

I may have to try the "Tedd's Landing" bypass the next trip.

You're right Jim!! Before I retired from the Army I had to go to Fort Indiantown Gap, Pa on a regular basis, and I tried both ways and found Route #15 as the only way to go. The problem is that if you're coming our way and you listen to your GPS, it'll force you to drive farther and it'll cost you more money.

Folks once again, Rte #15 doesn't have near the traffic that you'll see on I-81 because it is a newer road, and you can drive with a whole let less stress. With gas prices at $3 a gallon, and driving a truck with a car on or in a car trailer, the gas and tolls you save round trip exceed $50.

If you stop at Blossburg on the way up, it's far enough below the New York border to get a better price on gas, and it's close enough to get you into Canandaigua without having to stop for gas. We can get home from Blossburg with a 1/2 a tank left. We usually get 8-9 miles a gallon with a gas powered Chevy 4x4 2500 series truck, hauling a tri-axle trailer with the fire truck on it.

As I mentioned, we can make it to Hershey in 4-1/2 hours by going the way that I told you, and that includes a stop for gas. Fry Brother's Turkey Ranch is within 3 miles of being halfway to Hershey. When we're heading south, we can make it to Shamokin Dam with the truck and trailer, but it's tough to get in and out of the gas stations, so we stop at Fry Brother's Turkey Ranch.

By the way, I missed you at the Drumlins meeting last night.

By the way, I missed you at the Drumlins meeting last night.

Yea I had it on my calendar but got home from an afternoon meeting for a late supper and really just wanted to put my feet up. So I did, when I woke up it was to late to come :D

For those who would like an added measure of security for parking your trailer at the AACA meet in Canandaigua, there is a gated and monitored facility available less than 3 miles from the show field.

Check with City Mini Storage, 493 S. Main St., Canandaigua, NY 14424.

(585) 394-9400 for availability and rates. Website: www.cityministorage.com.

Regards and safe travels.

Bill Boudway

Ladies and Gentleman,

In Five (5) short days our meet begins. For those of you coming, travel safe, be carefull, and I'll see you when you get here.

There are a few more things that have come accross my desk that I need to address:

1. Scooters - If you have mobility issues and can't walk, but aren't bad enough to need a scooter full time, I found a place here in Canandaigua that will rent scooters out for the weekend.

2. Fuel - As I mentioned before, many of the local gas stations in Canandaigua are not user friendly if you're pulling a car trailer. If you're coming in from Rte #15, and if you're pulling a car trailer, hit the Kwik Fill in Blossberg, PA, it'll give you enough gas (or diesel) to make it into Canandaigua and be able to unhook.

3. Seat Belts and Cell Phones - New York State has a selt belt law in effect as well as makes it illegal to drive and use a cell phone. DON'T DO IT, and if you do, DON'T DO IT NEAR A TOLL BOOTH going on to or getting off from I-90. The New York State Police has been climbing into the toll booths on I-90 and they've been ticketing people as they pull up to a toll both not wearing a seatbelt, and/or driving while talking on a cell phone. A ticket for either one of those two offenses has been averaging about $135

Pat, I was wondering what you hear from the Chief Judge of your meet regarding the number of Judges that have signed up to judge?

I would imagine that there will be a sign up sheet at the judging school for judges to sign up to help with judging if needed?

See you tomorrow.