1947 RoadMaster Sedan

Guest MNRoadMaster

Guest MNRoadMaster

Hello everybody,

Here's my car I rescued from the crusher...

This car was pretty disintegrated when I found it this past spring. Here's before and after pictures which only tell a small part of the war story. I say war story because it has been a war to get this car back on the road. My older boys and I have spent over 4 months working on this car practically every day and night. We got it to run and the engine fried right away so we found a 48 Roadmaster engine that we transplanted. We are finally burning gasoline and it goes down the road very nicely at 65,000 miles original. We will paint it midnight blue pearl metallic next year after it warms up again. We did the interior and all of the work ourselves. It was quite the scavenger hunt to find the missing pieces.

Roadworthy in 4 months with the interior done in close to factory gray as well. To be painted this coming spring...

Spring 2011 update with fog lamps and new engine!

Don

post-64299-143138120402_thumb.jpg

post-64299-143138120404_thumb.jpg

post-64299-143138266226_thumb.jpg

post-64299-143138266256_thumb.jpg

Edited by MNRoadMaster
update (see edit history)

Guest MNRoadMaster

Thanks Ben!

As soon as I recover from the ensuing Buick bankruptcy, I plan on joining the club!Well, actually that's a picture from a couple of months ago. The skirts are on, trim replaced etc. as well as the interior being just about totally completed. I'll certainly post fresh pics for you. We did the interior all ourselves. My mother in law helped sew the headliner. I got all of the material and panels at a closeout place for $150...

I have another post here with more on the status...

John,

Well now that you mention it that is a looooooong story! The car had an engine and no radiator / grill along with MANY other missing parts. Well, I finally got it running and hustled up a super radiator and new water pump....she lasted 40 miles. I did what I could to resurrect that engine but it's going to need rebuilding. When she was parked many years ago the head gasket was going unknown to me, and the pan was rusted out which I discovered when I was cleaning it out at the car wash. As I say - long story. Anyways, I REALLY was determined to keep her original. So I managed to find a donor with great difficulty and some good fortune. It's basically a "spare tire" because I'm so anxious to get it running for a bit this season here in MN. This is my dream / summer car. I guess I'm kind of unusual in that this will be my daily driver in the summer. Yes, I built her to DRIVE, not sit in the garage. Indeed shes a way kool piece of americana. Yes Ben - this was the boy's "summer school". They learned a great deal and it sure kept them busy.

Thanks again Ben and John!

Don

Don

I have no doubt that you purchased the Roadmaster that I located on Craigs List - if you indeed purchased it out of Wisconsin. I think I spotted it on Craigs List Madison Wisconsin.

You win my Buick Man award. If we ever get together I am buying you the beer of your choice. I'm real big on saving Buicks rather then buying them already done as a lot (but not all) of baby boomers do.

This Roadmaster you bought I believe you got a good price. Even with the parts missing. It was offered to me at $300 and it was tough to turn down.

Please continue to update us and photos are always welcome. Please bring it to Iowa for the BCA National meet in July 2010. ... and I will buy you that beer and your boys a soda.

Cool. There are 2 active chapters of the BCA in MN - I belong to the Gopher State Chapter - even though it's too far for me to attend meetings or all the events. They're a pretty fun group.

I'm happy to hear you will drive the car regularly. Too many of us don't do that. I'd like to drive my cars more, but I'm guilty of watching for rain clouds and the like.

Guest MNRoadMaster

Hello Derek!

Thanks for the heads up on the Gopher State Chapter. As soon as I financially recover somewhat from the RoadMaster project I do plan on joining. Perhaps you might be so kind as to perhaps introduce me. A bit of an update here: I was able to obtain an old 2 barrel Holley with adapter plate for my RoadMaster rebuilt and so I transplanted it last night / today. She's running pretty nice. It came off of an old International, and the finish is even mostly there. Now I'm able to put a decent paper style chrome air cleaner on it. My buddy also says he found a spin on oil filter arrangement for it today. The amount of help I've gotten locally and nationally on this project amazes me.

Here's some pics...

Thanks again Derek!

Don

post-64299-143138121454_thumb.jpg

post-64299-143138121459_thumb.jpg

post-64299-143138121462_thumb.jpg

post-64299-143138121466_thumb.jpg

post-64299-14313812147_thumb.jpg

post-64299-143138121473_thumb.jpg

Don,

I'm about 500 miles away from the meetings, so I generally don't get to any. There's a few folks online here who are Gopher State Chapter members - aside from myself, there's Tom, Wildcat62 (or something close to that - Kris Syrdal), Kevin Kinney the chapter director, and I'm sure a few others that I can't think of at the moment. Don't take them too seriously...they don't.

The first Sunday of May is the big Spring Extravaganza show on Machinery Hill at the state fairgrounds in St. Paul. I don't know if I'll get down this spring, but it's a lot of fun and I know there would be folks there who'd be interested in seeing and learning about your Roadmaster.

Guest MNRoadMaster

Thanks Ben,

The center exhaust manifolds on these 320 engines break a lot I hear, so I did what I could to quiet her down. Yes, it has been a very busy 4 months. I purposely did not tell the boys that a project like this generally takes years.

Guest pasrfun
Hello Derek!

Thanks for the heads up on the Gopher State Chapter. As soon as I financially recover somewhat from the RoadMaster project I do plan on joining. Perhaps you might be so kind as to perhaps introduce me. A bit of an update here: I was able to obtain an old 2 barrel Holley with adapter plate for my RoadMaster rebuilt and so I transplanted it last night / today. She's running pretty nice. It came off of an old International, and the finish is even mostly there. Now I'm able to put a decent paper style chrome air cleaner on it. My buddy also says he found a spin on oil filter arrangement for it today. The amount of help I've gotten locally and nationally on this project amazes me.

Here's some pics...

Thanks again Derek!

Don

What an absolutely beautiful car .Les Adank

• 5 months later...
Guest cardinal905

That is a neat car, it is great driving while looking down that mile long hood aint it ? Glad you got the kids involved, future B.C.A. members no doubt !

• 2 months later...
Guest MNRoadMaster

Hello cardinal1905 - indeed I love the long hood and the ornament too! A member here has invited my and my older boys to our first Buick Club meeting next weekend - it will be our first event! Indeed they may be future members.

Thanks serb! This car has parts from your neck of the woods in it now;) along with the south / west / and even Canada!

1950SuperPDX - ahhhh yes the Firestones - well I had some conflicting info on what size they should be. This is a Road Master and therefore is a bigger car than the Special or Super. I wanted to put radials on and the Firestone Destination LE's were available for around $400 installed. They are a bit big (265's - so maybe an inch or so) but kind of add to the Biggness of the car in my opinion and they really are good tires - even if I did have to paint the white walls on them. I got the car with 215's on it and they just looked soooooooooo tiny! I, for one would absolutely opt for the bigger rather than smaller tires...

All in good fun!

Don

• 9 months later...
Guest MNRoadMaster

spring 2011 update - I found original fog lamps with switch, wired them in and they work - ground the tires down and exposed the whitewalls underneath and new 320 engine!

post-64299-143138512856_thumb.jpg

post-64299-143138512861_thumb.jpg

Edited by MNRoadMaster (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

MNRoadmaster (may I call you MINNEMASTER?), your thread started less than a year and a half ago. In that time, you've gone from crusher fodder to snappy summer driver. You are my hero. I didn't know that modern radial tires are still made with white rubber under the sidewalls. Maybe the manufacturers are hedging their bets, that Wide Whites will come back into style. Hey, I'm all for that!

Guest MNRoadMaster

Hi Redrob - you must be talking about the May 1st event? The boys and I will be there and can hardly wait to see you and the mighty Centurian.

Rob McDonald - sure you may call me MINNEMASTER if you'd like. It was a heck of a project and I can certainly see why so many cars sit without getting completed. Thanks so much for the compliment and appreciation here Rob McDonald! I tried painting the tires with whitewall paint and as it turned out, it doesn't work with these specific tires. I was searching for a solution and saw a utube video of a guy grinding them down to expose the whitewall underneath. The paint showed me that there was 4 inch whitewall underneath the raised white Firestone Destination LE letters. It must just be a part of the manufacturing process. I used an 8 inch sanding disk with a drill arbor on it, which worked pretty well. It was a bit messy and time consuming but they are good tires and were much less expensive than the Cokers etc. Besides they are radials and run quiet too. In my last few trips to the tire shops to get new tires the folks there always want to put the whitewall inside. I don't get it at all. I have no idea why white walls are not being used. How's things with the 57 Roadmaster Rob? If you have white letters you can start grinding!

Edited by MNRoadMaster (see edit history)

Guest MNRoadMaster

Thanks jackofalltrades70 - Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or need advice or anything else. I sure had lots of folks help out as resources and such. Glad to hear that your boy is getting involved! Do you have a pic of your car posted?

Thanks jackofalltrades70 - Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or need advice or anything else. I sure had lots of folks help out as resources and such. Glad to hear that your boy is getting involved! Do you have a pic of your car posted?

MNRoadMaster,

I started a thread on Me and My Buick. I am currently working on taking the old body off the frame. I have purchased another parts car from New Mexico and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Will post more over there after I get to the bare frame.

http://forums.aaca.org/f163/1947-56c-project-cant-finish-unless-300645.html

Matt

Guest MNRoadMaster

Hi Matt,

Love your tag line « 1947 56C Project "Can't finish unless you start" | 1958 Limited Four Door Riviera »

I'll add - do Something every day on the project.

I suggest using a good camera and Label and put all fasteners in plastic sharpie labeled bags. It Really helped me out a ton! Can't go wrong with a parts car and from new mexico - you might swap bodies at that rate...How are you going to lift the body off?

I'm going to check out your posting now...

Don