I give up

Guest larryF

Well, after fighting to keep my tc running, I am ready to surrender. :eek:

I have a 90 v-6, red on black. So far rhis year, new heads, timing belt, water pump, starter, brake accumulator, turn signal assy.

I just finished the water pump, and for reasons I cannot yet explain, I have a timing issue between the crank and the heads. Here I go again, back to the timing belt. I was sure I had everything lined up right when I buttoned it back up, but I guess not. Now, i guess as a result of overheating when the water pump quit on the wife, I have a bad freeze plug in the back behind right side axle.

You want it, All or parts?

Larry Folta 850-376-8134

I live in NW FL.

Guest MiamiTVR

So if you get her running again you will decide to keep her a bit longer and then it will not be available for sale until the next thing which you will need to fix before you can sell her and once it is fixed it is such a delight to own and drive not to mention you now have so much into her you will need and want to keep her and then then that next hard to get part.....

If she gets up and running and you still want her gone, I would be interested in learning more about her. Trips back to my home state are alwyas welcomed.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do,

Guest My TC Toy

Larry,

Life does throw us some disheartening curves and it was never promised to be fair. Our TC's are wonderful quirky cars, aren't they?

Don't loose faith, with all the work you have already put into her a little more is not going to hurt too bad. And then, after all, she will be as good as new and you will have some smoothe sailing.

Lots of luck! At least the sun is shining where you are!

Guest David Simons

Get it running first and drive it a bit and see if you can still find whatever made you buy it to begin with. I went down that same road about a week ago, so I am speaking from recent experience. I drove the car a couple hundred more miles and put it in the paint shop. The spark was still there with me after all of the smoke had cleared from my temper. Now I can't wait to take it out on it's first road trip. It is a unique piece and you have to ask yourself for what I am going to be able to get for it verses what what I have spent in it, what kind of TC in what condition could I find ? Chances are it will not be the condition of the one you just let go. I enjoy driving my '56 Imperial to car shows and my wife is going to start taking the TC. It is her way of being involved in the car show enthusiasm. Think about it real good before you let your frustration guide you.

Guest d_voitel

Dave couldn't have said it better. I found mine in a salvage yard and to date, it's one of the better investments I've made. Once I realized what it was, I had to have it. I didn't know what a TC Maserati was and had never seen one. Yes, I've had some interesting times, but the good times far outweigh the bad. I still have a few things to fix before it's the way I want it, but those things are minor annoyances. Whenever I take the car out, it always gets a head turn or two. When I tell people the history, they're amazed. I know at the moment you may have some issues with the car, but when they are fixed and the car is runing properly, it will be worth it. Mine has 114K and the engine is as quiet as new. The previous owner(s) must have taken care of the car.

My wife has a 2000 Sebring convertible and it popped a freeze plug about six months back. Once it was fixed, the car hasn't missed a beat with 140K on the clock.

Don't give up the ship.

Well guys, if I could keep it as say, a third car to tinker with, I would. With the economy/realestate market in the tank for who knows how long, I would be much better served with a 90 dodge spirit that runs and drives well. A crappy little commuter special, but the one I had before was trouble free til my son got a hold of it and blew it up.

Right now I have almost 4 grand in my tc, and dont want to think about the hours, and I still have no turn signals (switch, @$100.), no hardtop, no horn, and my brake light came on for reasons I have yet to investigate. A great car when it runs, but I have spent way more time on it than in it, and noend in sight!

• 2 weeks later...

It's easy to feel unprepared for these 3.0 motors. The design is definitely japanese. The difference is Chrysler, (I'm a mopar guy from way back), engineers with common sense, making their stuff easier to work on and simpler to figure out. The japs don't seem to have any regard for how needlessly complicated their stuff gets. I've worked on a lot of different vehicles, and have found nothing worse than a toyota, or this motor, to fix. Who ever heard of running the water pump off the timing belt? Why would a front motor mount be bolted to all the accessories? Only the japs! Why would a water tube, sealed only by o-rings cross the v alley? Why cover the whole front of the motor with a mount bracket, and then put a plastic timing cover under it? All of these things and more could have been easily engineered in a more logical easier to deal with fashion.

Guest hamp1012

As a new owner of a TC I feel some of your pain. Two months ago I bought a 1989 TC that was running pretty good until I let a so-called Mobile Mechanic put a new valve cover gasket on it. They told me they could replace the water pump and timing belt with no problem. After 2 days of fumbling around with the car, they simply deserted me, and now the exhaust is pouring out steam like a locomotive.

I think it may be a blown head gasket, but I'm not sure. I hope I can find a dependable TC mechanic in Atlanta, GA that could tell me for sure what's wrong with it....But I'm really not ready to give it up.

I also hope you won't give up on yours.

Hamp

As a new owner of a TC I feel some of your pain. Two months ago I bought a 1989 TC that was running pretty good until I let a so-called Mobile Mechanic put a new valve cover gasket on it. They told me they could replace the water pump and timing belt with no problem. After 2 days of fumbling around with the car, they simply deserted me, and now the exhaust is pouring out steam like a locomotive.

I think it may be a blown head gasket, but I'm not sure. I hope I can find a dependable TC mechanic in Atlanta, GA that could tell me for sure what's wrong with it....But I'm really not ready to give it up.

I also hope you won't give up on yours.

Hamp

Hamp, go over to turbo-mopar.com join up just like you did here and ask for some help in your area. Offer to pay in cash or beer and you'll have plenty of takers. Those guys over there know more about 2.2 turbos than just about any mechanic you will find. Does sound like the head gasket, if you have any delay in getting it fixed 9more than a few days/week, pull the spark plugs out, generously spray WD-40 down each plug hole (use the little red tube it comes with, dont 'wash' any of the grit that is sitting at the bottom of the holes into the cylinders) and turn the motor over briefly. Over time water/coolant will rust the cylinder wall leaving a light etch that the rings wont like. Over several months that etch would become a deep gouge if coolant is left in there:o

Alan