1957 Buick Interior Colors

StevenTuck

Hello,

I am working with a guy on his 1957 Buick Special. We are trying to determine the color names of the interior. It is a combo of white and rust colors.

There is a rust pattern fabric with rust and white vinyl.

Does anyone know the exact names?

Thank you for your help.

• 3 years later...
Guest William Buick
Rust cloth and Ivory cordoveen. If you give me your EMail I'll scan and send you all the available combos and thier #'s for 57.............Bob

Bob, we have a 1957 buick 2 dr sedan....the paint color says it is P/P however it is light green/dark green (must have been repainted even though the seller said "all original")....however the interior should be ivory/black and it has a light green dash, door panels, visors, etc., all interior has light green tint..?? Have you ever seen the tag to be wrong colors? Cant imagine the interior is wrong too...it has Paint code as P/P and Trim as 471...which does not match?? Any help Jenny

Da book says...............Paint code P is Shell Beige and Trim code 471 is Grey cloth/Ivory cordoveen. Hard to imagine some one swapping trim tags or the factory getting everything wrong or someone repainting AND changing the entire interior. I can't explain it....................Bob

Guest William Buick

thanks bob for the information looks like we have a older model repaint there are door stickers with oil changes at 17000 miles so this had to be dome before then unless new speedometer was installed... has anyone change out the air filter with a now model so i can get rid of the oil in the air filter area or should i leave this alone and keep the original air filter... This car is solid just not all original as the owner stated ... and has sat up for the last 10 years going to drain all fluids change wires p;lugs and then check it out hope all goes well im a little worried evern though it did run... any advice form anyone would be helpfull thanks williamand jenny

I'm sure lots of folks will chime in with lots of advice. Some good, some not so much, and some in between. As for the air filter there is absolutely nothing wrong with the oil bath filter. Some claim it's more efficient than a paper filter. Personally I like the 57 filter in both looks and operation..............Bob

Guest William Buick

Bob, you have been very helpful :) We are having fun getting started...William took out spark plugs today...getting ready to work on everything and dump fluids, etc., I think we may keep the oil bath filter as you advised...I think it is pretty cool. Would you get the original plugs, etc., and stay as original as you could even though we know the paint job is not original? Looking in the trunk, you can not tell it was not originally painted that way...it looks like it was painted many years ago, just not sure why someone would paint so soon...maybe when they received the car, they didn't like the salmon looking color and changed it?? Don't know and guess we will never get to the bottom of it since we don't know the original owner...and maybe we are being to picky..But thanks for any input....what oil do you uxe for you (r 57 46C....man that is a nice ride. :)) Jenny

Bob, you have been very helpful :) We are having fun getting started...William took out spark plugs today...getting ready to work on everything and dump fluids, etc., I think we may keep the oil bath filter as you advised...I think it is pretty cool. Would you get the original plugs, etc., and stay as original as you could even though we know the paint job is not original? Looking in the trunk, you can not tell it was not originally painted that way...it looks like it was painted many years ago, just not sure why someone would paint so soon...maybe when they received the car, they didn't like the salmon looking color and changed it?? Don't know and guess we will never get to the bottom of it since we don't know the original owner...and maybe we are being to picky..But thanks for any input....what oil do you uxe for you (r 57 46C....man that is a nice ride. :)) Jenny

If you look under carpets and behind stuff you can usually find the original paint. Probably can't get the original # plugs (AC44) except on EBay maybe but your local NAPA store can X-reference them. A good local NAPA store can still provide a surprising amount of parts. Go there if possible and avoid old car part vendors as much as you can. Since you bought the car to enjoy the experience of a collector car I recommend you keep it as original as possible. You may find radial tires will be more to your liking but you will hear pro and con on that. Same with oil type, detergent vs non detergent. I use 10W30 detergent but that's in a new rebuilt engine. Some say stick with non detergent so you don't loosen up old crud. My one recommendation is before you drive it pull all the wheels and check the amount of brake lining left and look for brake fluid leaks/seeps, also check the brake hoses carefully for age cracking and the brake lines for heavy rust. These things didn't stop all that great in their prime and if you blow a line or hose you will lose ALL braking right now, other than park brake. Not seeing the condition of your car I will hazard a general guess that it will take more time, effort, and money than you figured on to make it safe and reliable but once that's done just some tinkering here and there type maintenance will keep it going just fine. Lastly, picking up a shop manual for the car is an absolute MUST or you will be a babe in the woods trying to keep on top of things...................Bob

PS. I suggest you post future questions in the Buick section rather than here in general. You will get lots more advice. Good, bad and inbetween.........

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)