1939 Radio installation

Guest DADDIO65

Guest DADDIO65

Our forum seems to be a bit quiet lately... But I figured I'd give this a try...

I got a hold of a radio for my "Old Abe". After a bit of smoke, a few sparks and some choice words, I got it up and running. Everything from the push button to the manual tuner, works great!! I do have a problem however... I can't for the life of me figure out how or where to mount it under the dash. I have 2 bolts with wing nuts on them, 2 triangle shaped brackets, and 2 pieces of flat stock that are bolted together. I was told that under the hood there were dimples that are to be drilled for the installation of this but I can't find them. Would any of you happen to have, or be able to produce some pictures of under the dash and in the engine compartment of a vehicle with one mounted in it? Any help, pictures or advice be most helpful...

Thanks, Daddio

I went down to my barn and took these photos of the radio in my 1939 Zephyr. The underdash pictures are a bit hard to interpret - it's pretty crowded under there. The radio box should have a couple of flanges on it where the firewall bolts attach. They're probably underneath the carpet padding in my car.

The firewall photo shows what I think are the radio mounting bolts.

I hope this helps.

Good luck with it!

post-31768-143138119433_thumb.jpg

post-31768-143138119436_thumb.jpg

post-31768-143138119438_thumb.jpg

post-31768-14313811944_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Knapp
Add photos (see edit history)

Guest DADDIO65

Thanks a ton Phil!! Did you install that yourself? Are you familiar with the hardware that came with the radio? I have 2 bolts, one is kind of crooked with a wing nut on it. The other has a wing nut as well, but is a bit more straight, there are also 2 triangular brackets with 2 holes on the flanged end, and I believe a couple more holes on the flat triangular surface. Yes, on the radio there are 2 double lipped flanges where it looks as if the bolts with the wing nuts attach?? Does this sound right?? Here are the parts I got with this. Thanks, Jeff

post-58346-143138119481_thumb.jpg

Edited by DADDIO65
screwed up (see edit history)

Sorry, I didn't install that radio. It was already in the car when I got it. The dial lights up and the station selector works, but there's no hum. Probably indicating a bad vibrator. I have a spare radio, but I haven't tested it and I don't remember if any hardware came with it.

Interestingly enough, in the mid 90's there was an ad in Hemmings for a 1939 Zephyr convertible, Beetle Green, with dual spotlights and Jerry Emery's super rare wind wings. It also had an 'operating factory radio'. I got this car in 2003 and I can't believe that there is another car out there that fits that description so the radio must have worked at some time and might just need a vibrator.

Guest DADDIO65

I added the picture of the parts I had with it.... Try taking yours out and cleaning it up a bit. I messed with mine for a day or so till I figured out where my power stopped, fixed the wire, and went from there. The only problem I had was the speaker I bought was wired up wrong after being re-coned, and fried a capacitor.. I got it fixed and it fired right up.. Thanks as usual for the help, and the pictures!!! Take care, Jeff

Edited by DADDIO65 (see edit history)

Guest DADDIO65

Does anyone know what those brackets and bolts are and where they go as far as an installation of a radio goes?? Thanks!:confused::confused:

:)Hey Daddio,Those flat brackets and bolts with the wing nuts hold the dial and on-off switch unit against the backside of the dash.The brackets with angles bent on em i don't recognize.I have the correct bolts,washers and nuts to hold the radio unit to the firewall.Send me your mailing address and all you have to do is pay me for the postage once you receive it.diz:) phaeton37@aol.com

Edited by DizzyDale (see edit history)

Guest DADDIO65

Thanks a ton.... I sent you my shipping info. Are there any pictures showing how those brackets that hold the head in are to be used, or instructions on installation?

I finally got all the connecting wires repaired and and conectors replaced.

From the firewall power supply to the radio, what amp. fuse do they recommend? I thought someone had said 20 amp??

thanks, Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DADDIO65

Ok, I got the head installed in old Abe...looks quite good. The question I have is that I got the 2 mounting bolts for the radio box. Can anyone tell me if there is a specific measurement that this is supposed to be mounted at? I know I can get it close, but I am a bit anal, and would like it to be where it is supposed to be. Any expert input from you fellas?? Dale, thanks a ton for the bolts, much appreciated. Looking forward to hear from you guys:confused:

Daddio

Guest DADDIO65

I finally got the radio mounted in the car...fired it up, works great, for AM. A little distorted, but works well. Still wondering about the power fuse?? Also any input on the antenna? I see in the manual there is an adjustment to make to allow for the rear trunk antenna VS. the cowl antenna?? Ca'mon fellas, someone has to know on this forum?? Thanks in advance!! Daddio:eek: