63 riviera inner fenders question

Guest dipnic10

Guest dipnic10

Will the inner fenders of my 63 riviera come out with out removing the fenders? How do i remove them? and what about if the car has power antenna? Thanks Dip

Not too sure about removal of the inner fender without first taking off the outer one; I've never tried it. The power antenna comes out though a panel in the inner fender. There are 6 sheet metal screws holding the panel in place and one nut that holds the antenna to the plate. Take the panel off, ubolt and unhook the antenna, and it slips out of the fender.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Will the inner fenders of my 63 riviera come out with out removing the fenders? How do i remove them? and what about if the car has power antenna? Thanks Dip

No, you need to remove the fenders, grill, hood hinges, headlights, electrical, and various other stuff. It's not a tough job and can be done in about an hour or two if you're familiar with the car. You can actually take noth sides off in one piece (left side, core support, and right side). The inner fenders are held in place by bolts below the firewall and to the frame at the front of the car.

Thanks Guy's I was looking to remove them to paint them but i'll have to do it in the car then. Dip

I've done it and it's worth the effort. The task sound harder than it is. Removing the inner feners give you the opportunity to check/repair rust, detail the front part of the frame, replace body mounts, and detail the motor in places that would be otherwise difficult at best to reach.

Here are some photos to help motivate you:

post-52936-143138118458_thumb.jpg

post-52936-143138118462_thumb.jpg

Edited by Patrick91914 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
does anyone have a diagram of bolt locations for the outer fender?

Outer fender? I assume that you mean the exterior sheet metal. On each side ,there are bolts at the core support, the lower bumper, the splash pan, the front pillar near the windshield base, and over the firewall near the cowl.

Just look, you can't miss them.

Outer fender? I assume that you mean the exterior sheet metal. On each side ,there are bolts at the core support, the lower bumper, the splash pan, the front pillar near the windshield base, and over the firewall near the cowl.

Just look, you can't miss them.

Also one in front of the door on the underside of the car.