Teves System. Brake Light On. ABS Light Never Comes On.

Guest jbielenda

Guest jbielenda

I have been digging around for answers to this question. I have an 89 Reatta with the Teves brakes. Wish I would have bought the 91 now.

Why is my brake light on, abs light not on, and never comes on, and my brakes are so hard to push that I nearly brake the seat when trying to stop?

I have checked for voltage at that abs pump, and I have 11.34 volts, but the pump never runs.

I get the low pressure message from the computer, so I am sure it is not the abs controller in the trunk.

I am thinking it is simply the pump, but why doesn't the ABS light come on when I start the car? Could it be a coincidental issue, and the ABS light is burned out. I doubt it.

Thanks,

Jason

I'm assuming your pump is not running since you have a hard pedal.

Are you checking voltage directly at the pump motor plug?

First thing to check is unplug the pressure switch and check for brake fluid inside the connector. Any brake fluid present is a good sign if a defective pressure switch. If no fluid is present you will need to get out your meter and troubleshoot the pump motor circuit.

Either your abs light is our or there is a problem with abs controlled for the light to stay off. I would bet on a bad or missing abs light.

Guest jbielenda

Are you checking voltage directly at the pump motor plug? Yes

First thing to check is unplug the pressure switch and check for brake fluid inside the connector. Any brake fluid present is a good sign if a defective pressure switch. If no fluid is present you will need to get out your meter and troubleshoot the pump motor circuit. I pulled the plug, and it is dry.

Either your abs light is our or there is a problem with abs controlled for the light to stay off. I would bet on a bad or missing abs light. That is what I am thinking, and since I have power to the abs pump, but no pump activity, it would seem its the pump. I will pull the dash apart to see if the light is connected.

Sounds like you have got it figured out. As a last ditch effort you could bang the pump motor with the handle of a big screwdriver to see if the motor responds. Sometimes if a brush is stuck or the motor has a bad spot on the commutator it will try to run for minute. That might tell you something. I believe you a are probably right in thinking the motor is shot. Contact Jim Finn for a good used one.