Strange '97 Riviera Issue

Guest oribiasi

Guest oribiasi

Hey all,

Maybe you guys can help again. My 1997 Buick Riviera (SC) is having an odd issue. It runs well, even at 5-10 MPH, and at 70-80 MPH, but whenever I bring it to a stop, like at a red light, and it gets down to 0 MPH, the engine stutters a little, the inside lights dim for a second or so, and it makes a funny noise, not like it is misfiring (I know what this sounds like), but close to it.

Any ideas? I am thinking alternator, but it is (1) not throwing any codes at me and (2) I just don't know what to think.

Background -- engine was misfiring a week or so ago, and I replaced a faulty (tested bad) Main Ignition Module, and this stopped those misfirings completely. So I hope these aren't related. I also tested all 3 ignition coils and they all passed. But, who knows, maybe picking them up ruined them, we all know how weird some GM stuff is :)

I wouldn't think an alternator would set a code in 97. Check all of the connections that you touched when you replaced the module. Also check for corroded grounds in the engine compartment and the battery terminals under the back seat!

Let me know what you find!

Tim