Car Lovers Flock to Fall Hershey

charlier

What is the complaint about open spaces or spaces NOT crammed with parts? They are PAID for, and AACA gets part of the fee. It costs Hershey REGION over a MILLION dollars to put the event on. I spend half my time looking for parts the other half in the space waiting for a buyer. If I'm not there the guy next door can take the money, I do the same for him. I should have packed up Friday night, but being a traditionalist I was open on Saturday to collect another $12.00. As a vendor since 1970 I don't understand why buyers leave the field around 5:00. Black top, LIGHTS that NEVER go off, and a food vendor next to me that is open till 9:00 every night. If there are no buyers don't bust on the vendors!

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

I was walking the field mid morning Saturday, when I overheard these two fellows conversing. The harmonica player was holding one note so the banjo picker could tune his instrument. There was a talent contest Friday night, which I had heard about, but could not attend. The banjo picker said there was some members there, but he did not elaborate. I guess I'm trying to say that there are all kinds of talent and talented members of the AACA.

A sidenote....I'm waiting on a gallery update so I can start a new thread with some of the picture highlights of my trip to Hershey.

Wayne

post-31395-143138118899_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138118902_thumb.jpg

My Hershey is 3 hours long. With nothing but Triumphs to shop for I can hit every vendor in 1/2 day, and so I did that Friday morning (taking time to watch the race-cars and high-wheelers at the stadium). I spent most of Friday afternoon hanging out at Howard Scotland's spaces, and the rest of the evening walking the car corral. I think it was the biggest ever.

The 3 hours that matter happen on Saturday morning. It is a real thrill to sit and watch such a HUGE variety of cars drive in to the show. There is nothing like it in all of car-dom, and I think at times more people are interested in the judging of the cars than in this opportunity to really appreciate them. There probably aren't more than 2000-3000 people like me who line the street every year to watch, a small crowd by Hershey standards.

It's one of the best opportunities to stop and smell the flowers of the hobby. Everyone should do it at least once.

post-30638-143138118905_thumb.jpg

post-30638-143138118909_thumb.jpg

post-30638-143138118913_thumb.jpg

post-30638-143138118917_thumb.jpg

post-30638-14313811892_thumb.jpg

post-30638-143138118923_thumb.jpg

post-30638-143138118926_thumb.jpg

post-30638-14313811893_thumb.jpg

post-30638-143138118932_thumb.jpg

post-30638-143138118936_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave@Moon
typo (see edit history)

Had a great time this year, walking the fields for two solid days (Thursday and Friday), and then showing our car on Saturday (Repeat Preservation '54 Volkswagen, Class 27A).

In all, an experience positively unmatched!

Thanks Hershey Region and AACA for another FANTASTIC Fall Meet!

Steve Mierz

Stony Creek, CT

more.....

1. How often do you see wagons, especially in this color?

2. What! A Hot Rod????

3. Actually a certified race car/hot rod...an ex El Mirage car. This car was beautiful, as most are on a show field, probably looking a little unlike itself when raced back in 1949.

post-31395-143138118999_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138119001_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138119004_thumb.jpg

I was there on Friday and Saturday. I had a blast! Thanks to all who worked so hard to make Hershey - Hershey!

Here's a couple of links to the photos I took:

Picasa Web Albums - rkfrazee - Hershey 09

Picasa Web Albums - rkfrazee - Hershey 09, S...

Hope to see you at Hershey again next year!

Had a great time at Hershey. Been a few years since I had a car in the show. Seeing people comment on how fun it is to watch the cars coming on the field is cool. But driving into the show is really cool. Sort of like a parade, and you can hear people talking about your car, how they had one, how they wiish they had it on and on. Seeing people playing Punch Buggy is one of my favorites.

greg

We generally have enjoyed the drive into the show as it is definitely a parade type atmosphere.

Unfortunately this year some jerk yelled at my wife that he would be embarrassed to drive a Citicar (her car) as we were driving in which upset her. Fortunately she had a good experience with the judges and a lot of interest in the car from the crowd, plus many nice compliments to make up for the idiot.

Both times we've shown our Pinto at Hershey, we've heard several "helpful suggestions" yelled-out from bystanders watching the parde of cars onto or off of the field "not to get rear-ended," etc.--but we figure it's kinda par for the course (of driving an antique Pinto).

Your Citicar was super-cool, by the way, Ron--nice work!

Got home last night around 11Pm so like Steve, kinda tired after one of the best Hershey events ever. For finding treasure it was one of the best years ever. I'll post some pics later in the auto art and memorabilia sections so everyone can see what they missed! For selling, my spot was open only for a couple of days because of meetings and doing some shopping but it was great to meet the Nancy DeWitt and so many others out hunting stuff. Still I did very well and have no complaints. Good early parts still move. I brought a whole box of model T carbs there and only two came home. Good brass always sells well and this year I nearly got cleaned out of gas lamp burners. Susan and I really enjoyed seeing old friends and finding new ones from all over the world. Hershey is the greatest show on earth and the Hershey Region members who work so hard really deserve our thanks.

How many days left till the next one?

Terry

We generally have enjoyed the drive into the show as it is definitely a parade type atmosphere.

Unfortunately this year some jerk yelled at my wife that he would be embarrassed to drive a Citicar (her car) as we were driving in which upset her. Fortunately she had a good experience with the judges and a lot of interest in the car from the crowd, plus many nice compliments to make up for the idiot.

The last couple of years I have really enjoyed the drive into Hershey following a friend's VW Rabbit into the Meet with mine behind. I hear the "Look They are Multiplying" comments which make me smile. The "Hey They Don't Belong on the Show Field" comments make me downright laugh out loud at those people who say that. Funny how so many, many, people compliment me on my VW and tell me they had one "just like it" or tell me stories about their's or worked for VW or a VW Dealer. Those so very nice people are the one's that make Fall Hershey such a fun, enjoyable experience. Ron, tell your wife to focus on the nice people and ignore the not so nice ones.

BTW, BIG Kudos to Hershey Region for the ever so SMOOTH flow of show cars onto the show field. The Red & Blue entrances, signs on the "streets" and helpful people directing the parking made for a NICE experience. Also a thumbs up to the positioning of the food vendors and restroom facilities around the show field. Having them around the outside of the field was a nice improvement this year. Also nice to see how well the show field held up and drained after it's first significant rainfall test the night before the show.

Peter H., nice to see you again and Thank You for your assistance in my purchase of the VW Ads.

Stock Steve - Sorry I missed you this year. Hope to see you next year.

windjamer - I forgot to bring the printed copy of the DF members at Hershey on Friday. Saturday I checked your class on the show field and could not seem to find you. Sorry I missed you. Hope to meet you next year.

Edited by charlier (see edit history)

..... I don't worry about that kind of stuff but I think my wife took it personally. Sad to say this was an AACA member (don't know) who felt the need to also pay the car a visit during its judging. As usual I was away checking out the show field but I do believe Val got in her 2 cents with him right after the judges finished up.

What a jerk!!!! :mad: Wonder what they drive?!?!?

Got home last night around 11Pm so like Steve, kinda tired after one of the best Hershey events ever. For finding treasure it was one of the best years ever. I'll post some pics later in the auto art and memorabilia sections so everyone can see what they missed! For selling, my spot was open only for a couple of days because of meetings and doing some shopping but it was great to meet the Nancy DeWitt and so many others out hunting stuff. Still I did very well and have no complaints. Good early parts still move. I brought a whole box of model T carbs there and only two came home. Good brass always sells well and this year I nearly got cleaned out of gas lamp burners. Susan and I really enjoyed seeing old friends and finding new ones from all over the world. Hershey is the greatest show on earth and the Hershey Region members who work so hard really deserve our thanks.

How many days left till the next one?

Terry

Noticed your name tag from when you were handing out the dash plaques on the way to the show field on Saturday morning, Terry, and definitely appreciated your very gracious welcome!

Steve & Diane Mierz

Stony Creek, CT

Steve your VW still looks great after all these years. In years past we parked alongside your guys a few times with my green & yellow 55 Pontiac in class 27A.

Thank you for the kind words, the car was absolutely swamped all day. I don't worry about that kind of stuff but I think my wife took it personally. Sad to say this was an AACA member (don't know) who felt the need to also pay the car a visit during its judging. As usual I was away checking out the show field but I do believe Val got in her 2 cents with him right after the judges finished up.

Yup, definitely remember your magnificent Pontiac, Ron, and also your super-cool Amphicar.

We were only going for repeat preservation, and if you look closely at our '54 VW, you can see that it's been getting driven a lot more lately (misc. wear and tear). The captain of the judging team that looked at our car, though, was *extremely* gracious (wich I could remember his name), and thanked us repeatedly for bringing it to the show, and also, my wife Diane said that he gave an enthusiastic endorsement to our *driving the car*, which she also really appreciated.

In all, we can't say enough about what a completely positive experience this whole 2009 Hershey was!

Wayne, Thanks for posting the photo, I'd picked that car as one of my Top Six of The Meet. check out issue #40 of The Rodders Journal for the full history on the car. It was at Pebble Beach this year. Note that the owner is wearing a Bonneville 200MPH Club hat. He set a record in a car he later sold to a fellow here in Connecticut that bumped the Record a bit higher. He and his wife were having a great time, reallly nice to meet them and talk about the car. Just noticed the top has a plastic cover over it, must have been raining when you were there.

more.....

1. How often do you see wagons, especially in this color?

2. What! A Hot Rod????

3. Actually a certified race car/hot rod...an ex El Mirage car. This car was beautiful, as most are on a show field, probably looking a little unlike itself when raced back in 1949.

38335d1255354879-car-lovers-flock-fall-hershey-sdc10520.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Bob, he was just protecting it until the judging team got there, I'd say. He was talking to someone about the history of the car as I took pictures. He had run into a family member of the owner of this car purely by accident, as he was relating to the other gentleman. I wish I could have listened longer, but duty called.:(

Wayne

.....Unfortunately this year some jerk yelled at my wife that he would be embarrassed to drive a Citicar (her car) as we were driving in which upset her. Fortunately she had a good experience with the judges and a lot of interest in the car from the crowd, plus many nice compliments to make up for the idiot.

I just saw this on the thread about the Hershey results.

Class 04

Senior

1976 Citicar.....................Valerie Green, Camp Hill, PA

In my opinion, winning a Senior award is the best revenge against that idiot.

:P:D

Tell your wife congratulations from me. :)

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

Well, I was able to attend again and was there from Thursday afternoon to about noon on Saturday. I hate to be negative but I also noticed the decline of the swap meet and especially after the Friday morning rain I was surprised to see how many vendors and spectators seemed to be leaving. It seems like when we were in the mud everyone stuck it out. By Friday about 4:00 the red field was a ghost town.

But I will temper this one complaint with pats on the back for the Hershey region. I think the current layout seems to be good. The one big spectator parking lot is probably easier to work with than in the past. The fences for spectator walkways are good for traffic control, even if I personally wished for a few more openings. I have always liked the swap meet moving to pavement, and I like this car corral arrangement. The show in the grass is less to my liking than on pavement, BUT it's placement off to one side is good for the spectator, even though it probably causes many people (like myself) to decide to completely ignore the swap fields on Saturday. Overall I think this current arrangement is laid out very well, especially after dealing with yearly changes before. Kudos to all for all their hard work and hope to see you next year! Todd

Isn't that Diz's car? If so I caught up with him before the judging started. :)

You're exactly right, Susan. I caught Dale as he was showing his car off to an older gentleman, who was very shy around the car. This gentleman acted like the car belonged to a king. Well, you are a King, right Diz?:cool:

At any rate, he was very reverent around the car. Makes me think he had one just like it as a young man. Really cool to see Dizz having to continually persuade the older fellow to open the door. ;)

Wayne

.....At any rate, he was very reverent around the car. Makes me think he had one just like it as a young man. Really cool to see Dizz having to continually persuade the older fellow to open the door. ;)

Wayne

The ones that break your heart are the ones that just stand and look with tears in their eyes. Then you find out that the car they are looking at is exactly like the first car they had with their beloved, and now gone, spouse. One ripped out heart coming right up.

I watch each year with how much work the national club, the Hershey region and HERCO expend on bringing this event to people. None of you would have the slightest ability to comprehend what goes into this without seeing it first hand. A year long endeavor.

No Steve, I can't comprehend everything, but I have a pretty good idea. To the people who really have issues, I'd recommend that you get your region to volunteer to host a national meet. It is very hard, but it is a learning experience. If you got involved with hosting a national meet you would really get a better perspective on how things go.

What impresses me the most is the fact that they're still willing to put themselves through the same abuse year, after year, after year.

As for you being too tired to type, there is only one thing that I can say about this.

YOU WORK TOO HARD!!!:(:(:(:(

I appreciate the job that you do, but don't burn yourself out......:):):)

................... To the people who really have issues, I'd recommend that you get your region to volunteer to host a national meet. It is very hard, but it is a learning experience. If you got involved with hosting a national meet you would really get a better perspective on how things go............

Pat is right on with those statements above. At this moment, I'm working on my region to host a tour in the near future. Getting local AACA members motivated is the biggest challenge anyone can ever take on. Then, to have them perform year after year, well, some have no idea.

I attended the meet in Flintstone last year, or was it this year? :confused::)

Don Reid, I think it was, closed out the banquet with a car show story relating putting on a show to a family having its first child. As most of you know, it's exciting going through the process, but after it's over with, you say to yourself (especially if you're a women), I think we'll wait a while before we do this again. :eek::)

Hershey Region doesn't have that option. ;)

Wayne

Hey Wayne,You are using that term:eek: GENTLEMAN :eek:rather loosely:)!!!!!!As always GOOD to see you.Talking to people like the guy in the pic MAKES the Hershey experience what it is,the BEST.Susan,Real :)NICE:) to finally meet you and THANKS for all you have done for me in the past.Hey West,Great to meet you and your Packard,It looks like the:eek:Queen Mary:eek: next to my Ford.Thanks for the :)kind:) words regarding my '37.My Dad and i restored a '37 Ford Phaeton and finished it in time for Hershey 2001,Jr.first and nominated for a National Award,THAT was a show car.My '37 Tudor is a mostly original,unmolested outstanding driver and the best is it's fun and everyone can relate to it cause it's only a Ford.:)

Edited by DizzyDale (see edit history)