Sign in to follow this  
tjackmil

Door stuck

Has anyone had this problem and/or a solution? My passenger door is stuck in the closed position. When I try to open the lock or the latch, it feels as though the linkage inside the door is bending and the latch does not release. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you certain the latch is not releasing? It has happened that the door jams on the latch and while the latch releases it will not open. First make certain that the door lock is disengaged, then try releasing the latch from the inside and giving the door a good push at the same time.

Good luck.

Thank you for your replies. I have tried using both the inside and outside handles. It does not appear to me that the lock fully disengages. Either manually or using the electric lock switch, I can see and/or feel the locking button "jam up" just before it releases and sets flush with the door panel. This is where I feel resistance as though the internal linkage is bending.

About the only thing you can do is open the window and try to carefully pry open the opening at the top of the door. Using a bright light and a STIFF wire with a tight 90 degree bend at the end try to grab hold of the locking lever at the lock itself. If, as you said, it is not fully disengaging, this procedure should allow you to pull the locking lever to the full unlock position. If the lock is jamming due to rust or corrosion on the sliding parts this should work.

OUCH!! I just had another thought!

Take apart the door handle on the inside of the car first. This will allow you to get access to the metal rod working the lock. Clamp it with a pair of vise grips and try moving it back and forth hard. This may allow the lock to disengage.

Either way, when you get the door open you will have to disassemble the door panel to diagnose and repair the lock problem.

TC Toy-

I like the idea of removing the inside door handle and trying to work the lock rod. I'll try it this afternoon.

Thanks

Hey Guys,

Easy does it. Most policemen carry "Slim Jims" in their cars, Most emergency service units have them. Firemen, Medical emergency squads, Body shops and Mechanics have them. Depending haw big a town you live in and how accessable these official folks are just take a ride to any of them and ask to pop the lock. then you can work on the car in a normal open door fashion

Good Luck, lou

Lou,

Thanks for your (as usual) calming advice. I believe that your suggestion is my next logical course. I did remove the inside door handle trim alongwith the leather piece surrounding the door handle. What I found was a panel (kind of feels like tempered masonite) blocking access to the door internals - I could not see any way to remove the actual door handle operator itself.

Next stop - calls to area mechanics.

Tom Jackson

'89 Red/Gin/Tan - >175,000 mi and runs great

dont worry, like a slim jim never breaks the plastic parts on the inside of our doors. don't ask me how i know that those guys are good at doing that. and furthermore not every police unit is allowed to carry them. if you ask them to help you get in your car around here they tell you to call AAA and they dont normally have one either

Hey Tom,

You mean the Garden State don't have helpful Public employees:D Lou

One other thing. Check the door to rocker panel space. If the door is closer to the rocker at the rear, the door may be sagging. See if you can "lift" the door with a padded bar and then try the door handle.

well honestly, if they open doors for random ppl, any thief can walk up and be like i locked my key in the car, can you pop the lock for me? how is the cop gonna know, most of the time he isnt running plates if ppl ask for help

I was just bustin for the sake of a joke~ BUT ~ i can tell you here and all of the places I actually know of The shift supervisor has that mobile computer system hooked up that can run a plate immediately. In some cases more cars than just the supervisor have them. They are supposed to do it before they get out of the car on a normal traffic stop. Here where everyone has their own car that they take home. The chief and both sargents have them. It's funny ; but the Lt. does not have one.. Lou

Had the same problem I think with two different TC's. Problem cleared when the outside door handle linkage was lubricated (and worked) through the slot created by the open window. Might need a flash light and some kind of lubrication with a long tube. Both were the passenger side. The lock could not release since the outside linkage never fully relaxed.

-Rich

Thanks everyone - I called my mechanic this morning and he knew someone who did repo's: I left the car with him, and was able to retrieve it late this afternoon with the door opening (no charge). However, as per the norm, the fix for this problem created another - the rubber wiper strip that wipes the door window as it goes up and down now has 2 large cutouts in it - presumably where the "jimmy bar" was inserted. Does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement?

Tom

"89 Red/Ginger/Tan > 175000 miles and still going strong

Thanks everyone - I called my mechanic this morning and he knew someone who did repo's: I left the car with him, and was able to retrieve it late this afternoon with the door opening (no charge). However, as per the norm, the fix for this problem created another - the rubber wiper strip that wipes the door window as it goes up and down now has 2 large cutouts in it - presumably where the "jimmy bar" was inserted. Does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement?

Tom

"89 Red/Ginger/Tan > 175000 miles and still going strong

tcparts.com arizonaparts.com RDIperformance.com try any or all of these

Hi ,

I hate to hear that stuff. It's just a lack of finesse The post next to yours here, is a guy helping as he can, getting parts from a '91. You could also ask him. Lou

Try obtainig the window sweep from a local antique/classic car restorer. That stuff is fairly common and the shop normally carries it in stock.