Intake question on 55 Special

Guest sintid58

Guest sintid58

My son is working on the 55 as a project for credit at school this year and we took off the intake manifold to see what was making noise. There is a plate on the underside of the manifold that covers the exaust passage that was rusted trough in several spots. When we took this off there was a gasket on there that I would imagine is asbestos. We are going to fabricate a new plate but I am wondering what would be the best thing to use to replace that gasket.

Edited by sintid58
spelling (see edit history)

Guest sintid58

Yep thats it, I looked at the Buick Farm last night and they have the metal plate in stock and I ordered it from them so will be waiting for it anyway. Let me know how much for the gasket and shipping and I will send a check off asap. Could probably make a plate but the correct one is stamped which will make it stiffer and probably seal better so I bought it. Thanks and do you need my address. The address in the BCA roster may be wrong. :D

Sid

The gasket is on the way. If I have a part that I don't need it is always free to BCA members---to non members it is $50 ( and a membership in BCA goes with the part ). If I need the part or even think I will need it, it is not for sale at any price. That gasket is used in late 55 and 56 Buicks and rebuild gasket sets for 264-322 cover all from 1953-56, so this was an extra that until recently did not know where it was used since none of my 55's had the plate on the bottom of the manifold.

Enjoy,

Willie

Guest sintid58

Aren't Buick people great, Thanks. I hope to be at Ames next summer since it is so close so I will buy you a beer or a cup of coffee whichever you want if you are there.

Edited by sintid58
spelling (see edit history)

Very appropriate. Mr. Earl, a Buickman award for Willie please!

Why would I want to do that? All he's ever given me is a hard time.:rolleyes::D:D:D

just kiddin, consider it done. If I can figure out how to Search on this new and improved forum.

but ya know of course, anybody can pull the Buickman Award thread up and make the presentation.