Sign in to follow this  
Guest BJM

What Is The Best 63 Riviera Color?

Guest BJM

What's the consensus on the best colors exterior / interior for the 63 Buicks?

What's the rarest exterior color?

I have always been partial to black exterior and silver leather. I think the 63 Riviera (and 64-65) looks best in darker shades but white really pops as well.

Yes, a Black exterior/Silver interior does look nice... whether its on a 1st, 2nd or 3rd Generation Riv. Not sure if this was an available option, but even the other way round wouldn't look bad either: Silver exterior/Black interior. Whether you're doing a 2 or 3 tone paint arrangement to the bodywork, or choosing a colour for your upholstery... I believe Black is your safe choice. Its versatile and will go with almost any other colour. But I also do agree that darker shades of other colours do suit the 1st Gen Rivs much better than paler shades.

I like the darker colors for the first generation Rivs, but I think that white with a blue interior looks great. I am a little bit prejudiced because that is the colors of my 63. I think the 63 to 65's look good in all the stock colors. My least favorite color for them is red.

White exterior/Blue interior... sounds pretty cool. And no, Red isn't a great colour for 1st Gen Rivs, unless its in a nice, dark Candy Apple!

Go to Color Chip Selection. Rose Mist over silver leather. I've never seen it, but if I had a '63, that's one combo that I'd consider.

My '65 was painted burgundy mist and once it was painted, I hated it. Today car is in pieces as I transform it to Turquoise Mist over black cloth with a black vinyl top.

I'll have to go with a color combo that I've seen only once. I saw it on a '63 Riv in Sept or Oct of '62 in the back of a dealership where my dad had worked. It was under a car cover and was awaiting the opening night event where all car dealerships in Hutchinson, KS stayed open late one Friday night and unveiled all the new models to the public in a grand event. (In Hutch, all the dealers were located on West 2nd street, so you could literally walk down the street and see everything.) I was 15 at the time and the sighting of that car is what turned me into the RivNut that I am today. Six months later, I bought a 1/25th scale model of the '63 (still have it) and painted it like the one I had seen earlier. The '63 I now own is my second choice in color - Black with white leather. The color combo that sticks out most in my mind is color code E - Spruce Green, with trim code 728* - Silver Leather.

Ed

Arctic white/ red interior or Granada red/ black interior. I`m not partial to some of the interior colors but most of the exterior colors work for me

Guest BJM
I like the darker colors for the first generation Rivs, but I think that white with a blue interior looks great. I am a little bit prejudiced because that is the colors of my 63.

Woody,

I agree white with what appears to me to be a blue some call a "Wedgewood Blue" is a nice set up.

The color combo that sticks out most in my mind is color code E - Spruce Green, with trim code 728* - Silver Leather.

Ed

For '63, I think any color with that silver leather is the best.

I don't know if the cloth was available in '63, but for '65, the cloth/vinyl interiors make me foam at the mouth. I've ripped my car apart to change from black vinyl to black cloth. It's more money but well worth it.

My 63 Riv is white exterior, midnight blue leather interior, which works for me. One of the nicest I've seen was a 64 with diplomat blue exterior and white vinyl interior. One of the rarest was a coral exterior with silver interior.

John

Patrick,

In '63, you could get cloth interiors in blue, sandalwood, and black. I think that black with black cloth would be stunning.

One thing that makes the cloth interior in the '65 so nice is the way the seats are stitched. The beefier bolsters in the '65 custom interior helps as well.

Ed

Patrick,

In '63, you could get cloth interiors in blue, sandalwood, and black. I think that black with black cloth would be stunning.

One thing that makes the cloth interior in the '65 so nice is the way the seats are stitched. The beefier bolsters in the '65 custom interior helps as well.

Ed

I considered black, with black cloth, with a vinyl top, but the Turquoise Mist kept calling me. Another favorite of mine is Seafoam Green over green cloth. . . . perhaps my next Riviera if I can ever finish the one that I have.

My favorite was my first '63 Riv.: Silver with silver leather deluxe interior, with the silver engine of course. Second favorite: Dark blue , blue standard interior. I also had a red '65, black interior, and a silver with black interior that I liked, but the all silver '63 was my definate number one.

kaycee

I don't know if this was available in 63, but I have seen it in 64 and like it, silver with a red interior, and I am currently looking at one to possibly purchase.

I also like the silver interior with most any exterior color.

Chris,

Yes. In '63, color code D - Silver Cloud - could have been ordered with trim code 778 - red leather. That would be an outstanding color combo; like the early Mercedes Gullwings. I have seen one or two at different ROA events, so they're out there. One I saw had chrome window moldings above the side windows and around the back glass rather than moldings painted to match the interior.

Ed

I own 1963 Riviera finished in silver cloud with black interior. It's like a metallic light bronze. The black interior is the combo leather with jaquard(sp?) upholstry. My car also has a black vinyl top (which I know wasnt available until 1965) but itlooks awesome. It really sets off the color scheme. If I had my choice on a second Riv or another classic, I'd choose black for sure.

My Buddy in El Paso back in the day, had a white with white leather, and it looked so plush and clean...

Hard to beat in my mind

Dale

I am wondering if anyone has ever seen a 65 Riviera that was painted Black with a deluxe gold cloth interior ? I am about to start the paint process and the interior is factory gold which I really like ...but would it look good in a Black car ? Any one have a picture of that combo they would share if they have it ? Thanks in anvance !!

There wasn't a "factory gold" interior in '65. You either have something that someone has redone or a saddle interior that is sun bleached. If you're an ROA member, there's a complete list of exterior and interior color codes on their website in the "Articles from the Riview section."

Black with saddle is a good color combo.

I guess I should have been more specifc on the color , I presently have the 613 Fawn Beaumonde Fabric interior in my 65 and really like it . Just wonder how it would look against a black car. I think there would be an awful lot to redo and paint for a whole interior color change. Did think I would put a black carpet in it though just for wearability and dirt hiding ...Any thoughts.... sort of a Hurst color combo of sorts ?!

Mine is black with the blue interior, I especially like the color of the interior. The black exterior is nice but I think I'll be spraying it a midnight blue metallic, not a stock combo but I think it would look amazing with that combo