dynaflow dilemma

Guest low'n slow

Guest low'n slow

The dynaflow stopped working in the 63. The 401 needs some TLC also. I'm thinking of swapping them both out for a late model fuel injected small 8 or big 6.

The car spent most of its life on the east coast and had the requisite rust issues. It will never be a show car, but my son loves it. I would like to make it easier on his wallet to fill up the tank.

I have located a ST400 for sale about 650 miles from here, but they won't ship so it would entail a trip which really jacks up the price.

Please share your constructive comments with me.

Thanks

Here are a couple of options you can consider:

1) Install an adapter and put a later model 200r4 or 700r4 o/d automatic transmission behind the 401.

Buick Nailhead Transmission Adapter Installation

2) Contact Russ Martin (Buick Rodder on ebay) and get one of his crankshaft adapters that will allow you to bolt the ST400 to your engine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-nailhead-CRANK-ADAPTER-BUSHING-st400_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem19b3927e85QQitemZ110386904709QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Either option will require some additional modifictations to linkage, etc. but it's nothing anyone with average mechanical abilities can't do.

Ed

Edited by RivNut
add link (see edit history)

Guest low'n slow

What about a Chevy turbo 350 behind the nailhead? I have one of those. I also have the P-R-N-D shifter setup that came with a bunch of other parts when I prchased the car.

I still need to address the 401 rebuild. It is probably easier than a complete swap to a newer motor. We are competent enough to do the labor and the rebuild.

Thanks.

Edited by low'n slow
spelling (see edit history)

Doug,

Did you check out Bendsten's site? If so, you'll see that his adapter is designed to bolt Chevy transmissions to the nailhead. The 700R4 is a Chevy only transmission, and the 200R4 has universal bolt patterns that allow it to bolt to a Chevy or a BOP. It would be much cheaper to bolt an ST400 to yours, and you could use all OEM parts to do it. They come up for sale often in the Riview; check out some of the vendors in AZ that advertise "Rust free Riviera parts."

Ed

Guest low'n slow

Yes I did check out the site along with a few others. My question was whether the turbo 350 would stand up behind the 401.

All the threads and information I have read have dealt with some variant of the 400.

You can even get some Jeep transmissions that will bolt up to the nailhead.

Those Jeep transmissions were actually nailhead ST400's (without the switch pitch feature.) Jeep used an adapter plate to bolt them to their Wagoneers that used the AMC V8's.

I would thnk the TH350 would hold up okay as long as you didn't go heavy on the right pedal but you're going to have to get creative with transmission crossmembers, drive shafts, and kick down linkage. A shifter from a '65 Riviera would have the correct detents, but because of the longer throw required compared to the '63's dynaflow and the '64's PRNDL quadrant, you'd have to use a '65 console (it's the same overall lenght, but the housing for the shifter lever is longer, and the little storage compartment is smaller.

Have you looked for anyone in your area to overhaul the dynaflow. The cost of a conversion could probably buy a lot of gas.

Guest low'n slow

I spoke to the local transmission rebuilder. He seemed confused about it. Didn't instill alot of confidence in me.

For the cost of the rebuild, I think I'd rather have 3 speeds.