New front struts not sounding right

Guest drumforever

Guest drumforever

I just put new struts all the way around my Reatta. The front struts, on both sides, are making knocking sounds when I hit a bump. I have triple checked everything that should be tight. The struts look fine, as far as I can tell. I even replaced the two little sway bars on each side. Can anybody tell me what might be going on?

Guest drumforever

I heard the noise before I put on the new sway bars. I thought they were the problem since the old ones looked worn out. But, not the case. They match the old ones perfectly and I don't know how anyone could put them on wrong. My dad said the same thing about the sway bars, but I kinda feel like that's not it. maybe I'll try it anyway before I pull the whole darn front end apart again. But don't I need the sway bars??

What are the strut bellows??

You can do without the sway bars long enough to see if that is your problem. The car will handle a little different but it will not be a real problem. Strut bellows go around the strut cartridge to protect it from mud etc. It is inside the spring.

Guest drumforever

Yeah, those are the ones the instructions said to leave loosened until i got it down and moved it around a bit. I tightened them with the wheels on and then again with the wheels off for better leverage. I just don't understand what could be knocking down there unless it is the sway bars. But I've yet to have a chance to take them off the struts and see what happens. Hopefully this weekend.

The problem was not there before changing struts........... but you heard it after, change sway bar links but problem is still there.

What if you did not get the top of the struts tight and there is clearance in the mounting stud?

I would say it is the sway bar bushings.... but you said it was not there BEFORE changing struts.

There are (I think) two bolts that hold a cover over the rubber bushing. Owners have seen the rubber shot and I remember a couple of owner that had busted bolts

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

I did not replace the upper mounts when I did my struts and had to deal with them soon after. They may be good now but are they going to last another 60k. Also putting on new struts alerted me to realize I had cradle bushing problems. You might take the plastic covers off where the upper strut mounting nut is and put your weight on the fender and see if there is any play around the nut.

Guest drumforever

Looks like a boot to me. It even says "boot kit" in parenthesis. I put the old donut bushings back on the struts and covered them with new boots.

Guest drumforever

Well, I figured it out! It ended it being the top mount nut on each strut. I didn't have them down far enough and they were causing some play in the struts when I hit a bump. Thanks for all your help..... again!

Well, I figured it out! It ended it being the top mount nut on each strut. I didn't have them down far enough and they were causing some play in the struts when I hit a bump. Thanks for all your help..... again!
Thanks for posting final results. All to often this is not done and just leaves those following the post just hanging.

Good Luck Enjoy your ride!