'97 Riviera Rear Shock Replacement Question

Guest oribiasi

Guest oribiasi

Hey all,

I am going to replace my rear shocks as one is starting to seep oil slowly, and my mechanic told me that for a 1997 Riviera the Delco shocks are $150.00.

But, he told me not to buy them, and rather told me to get the Gabriel Hi Jackers from AutoZone (found here -- AutoZone.com | | Shock/Strut - Rear | HIJACKER AIR SHOCKS).

Sorry for the disgustingly long link. Anyway, does anyone have any working experience with these shocks? I want to make sure they're at least a good ride for a luxury-style coupe, like the Riviera =0)

Any help would be appreciated. If the link does not work, the part number is 49228 and it is found on AutoZone.com.

Thank you all very much!

Guest David G

I recommend Monroe MA822 rear air shocks. DIRECT replacement for the oem air shocks. I installed mine about a year ago, and know several other Riv owners who are using them. Should be able to buy them for around $60/pr, do some online searching for "Monroe MA822". Sorry, no experience with the Gabriel shocks.

Guest oribiasi

Thanks so much for the advice/replies. One thing I am worried about, though -- these Monroe shocks don't seem to come with a kit with all the extra bushings/lines, etc. Am I just assuming they come in like a package and the picture just shows the shocks, or do I need to find some extra on my own?

Just curious -- really the only reason I was thinking of getting the Gabriel shocks was because it came with all that nonsense.

Thanks everyone, again, you guys are great. To have a Riviera fan club like this with such knowledgable people is the best.

Guest David G

No, the Monroe part # is just the shocks. Inspect your existing stuff and decide if you need all the accessories. I didn't have need for the extras. The $73/pair price for the complete Gabriel kit isn't bad, if they are decent quality. Monroe may also sell the extra parts separately, check out their website for info.

Guest David G

You can get a pair of AC Delco shocks ONLY, from rockauto.com for $98. The Monroes are $59. They also list an AC Delco package for $160, maybe that one includes all the extra parts. Don't know if you were planning on doing this yourself, but it is really a simple maintenance item, if you are at all mechanically inclined, save yourself the shop labor charge.