Hupmobile headlight lenses

29pickhupp

Untill 1934 all models of Hupmobiles had flat lenses. In 1934 Raymond Loewy

designed the first aerodynamic,the model J which had convex lenses. I have a 1936 model N Aerodynamic and the headlights are as good as my Dodge van. I wll post the lense # when I find the manual that they are in. Call it a senior moment, I know I have them Chuck

Correction Hupp in 1932 used C.M.Hall headlights that were flex beam and were also a 2 position light. Hi & low beam. The 1931 Model S was the last flat glass model. These senior moments seam to be getting closer together. I am still looking for the lense #. Chuck

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dean_H.

Thanks for the heads-up John. Those would work, I'll wait til the last minutes of the auction to place my bid.

The '32 is a beauty, sure like to get started on it.

I've been pretty busy lately, but today I found time to wash my '29, and took it for a spin. It's a thrill to drive. Down shifting is a challenge, but I've discovered you hardly ever need to down shift. It has tremendous low end torque, if it's still rolling along at 10 mph, just leave it in high. I read, the '32 is easier to downshift, because of the free wheeling transmission. Can hardly wait to give that a try.

So many Hupps... so little time. :-)

Dean

• 3 years later...
Untill 1934 all models of Hupmobiles had flat lenses. In 1934 Raymond Loewy

designed the first aerodynamic,the model J which had convex lenses. I have a 1936 model N Aerodynamic and the headlights are as good as my Dodge van. I wll post the lense # when I find the manual that they are in. Call it a senior moment, I know I have them Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I know this is an old post, but I have nothing to loose. I need a lense for my 35 T. They are 14279 and 14280 I believe? Any leads appreciated. Ed.

Thanks for getting back to me Chuck. I really appreciate you looking through your parts, and I will keep my fingers crossed. Ed.

Deer season starts tomorrow for muzzle loaders in my state for 3 days, I will check and see if I have any extra lenses as I have a 1935 527-T that is in the restoration stage. Chuck

Hi again Chuck.

If you are looking anyway, there are a few more pieces I need. I am missing the left half of the front bumper, the grill emblem, dome light, and heater. I am also missing three hubcaps for the wire wheels, and the cap for the spare tire cover. If you have anything, could you please send me your number? It's easie rto call than all this typing.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again Chuck,

Sorry to bug you, but I am really curious if you have any of the parts I am looking for. Let me know when you can. Thanks, Ed.

Hello again Chuck, Sorry to bug you, but I am really curious if you have any of the parts I am looking for. Let me know when you can. Thanks, Ed.
I found my spare pair for my G & N and are still looking for the T's. I still have a couple of places to look. I also am looking for an article that Hupp club member Jim Church wrote about acrylic lenses he had made in Cal. for his D model.They looked as good as glass. Unfortunately Jim pased away a few years back. My hubcaps are for the artillary wheel and I will have to check the dia. to see if they are the same as the wire wheels.. No luck on the bumper. By the way, Do you belong to the Hupp Club? If not. that is a great place to find spare parts.

Thanks for looking Chuck, yes I did rejoin the club recently. I have a left side lens, and may try myself to make a plastic copy of that one. It doesn't look to hard? We'll see. Ed.

• 2 months later...

Hi Chuck, I found a guy who does the acrylic lenses, and ordered a pair. I would still like to find an original though. Ed.

Good day Ed When I talked to Jim Church, God love him as he is with him now. He said that you can not tell the difference in the acrilic and the glass. Jim was a type of purist. I am sure that when you receive those new lenses you will not need the glass ones. I am happy that you found the person who makes the acrilic lenses. I am still smiling. Hupplingly Yours Chuck