Missing Fuse Prong

Guest sconnors

Guest sconnors

On my 1950 Buick Special one of the fuse "holders" (metal prong where the fuse clamps into) is missing a metal prong on one side. I am wondering how hard of a repair this will be? Has anyone ran into a issue like this? Is there an easy fix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Scott

There are three approaches and possibly more to deal with this. One is that you obtain a used replacement fuse board from another car. This will not be an easy way to go as there will be much work in a cramped space.

Another is to recognize that one fuse clip goes to +6 volts and the other side (fuse clamp) goes the circuit being protected, say the dome light for example. If the remaining fuse clip goes to +6 volts then you can solder or somehow crimp a wire to this clamp and run it to an in-line fuse holder. The other wire of the in-line fuse holder goes to the circuit being protected. For this you can use an electrical T-tap or just splice to the wire going to the broken fuse clamp.

Another approach is to take apart an in-line fuse holder of the type that captures the end of the fuse. This will have one wire soldered or crimped to it. Connect the fuse to this, then clamp the fuse into the remaing clamp on the board and run the wire from the fuse to either the circuit being protected or to +6 volts.

Lastly, just forget altogether about the fuse board and use an in-line fuse holder from +6 volts from under the dash to the circuit being protected. Unless someone looks under the dash, no-one will ever know and you retain the safety of a fused circuit.

Good luck.

Joe, BCA 33493

On my 1950 Buick Special one of the fuse "holders" (metal prong where the fuse clamps into) is missing a metal prong on one side. I am wondering how hard of a repair this will be? Has anyone ran into a issue like this? Is there an easy fix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Scott

Which circuit is this Scott? On my 56 some of the circuits are factory wired with an in line fuse regardless of the spots on the fuse panel.

That one ought to have a fuse in the fuse panel. Looks like you may need to find a panel BUT, if you need a temporary solution I'd go with what JP said about making a new line with an inline fuse. If you go to NAPA or another car store, just buy a package of alligator clips, an inline fuse holder, and some 14ga wire. Then make a by pass that you can clip to the stubs of your fuse box.