GETTING to Hershey NIGHTMARES

1937hd45

Took 10 hours to get to Hershey instead of the normal 4 back in 2007 due to a cracked header tank in my vans radiator. Fun to look back on now but it sure wasn't while it was making 45 minute stops to add more JB Weld and water. That same year friends blew transmission and rear axle seals, made in the flea mark repairs and got home safe. Do you hav an event to share?

Three years ago friends of ours that live across the Kanawha River from us had put their fully restored 1939 Ford on an open trailer to take it to Hershey in the hopes of finding a buyer.

They never made it past the first rest stop here in W. Va. While they were there a couple drove in and walked over to look at the car. They were on their way back from Va. where they had looked at a 1939 Ford and decided not to buy that one. They fell in love with the one our friend wanted to sell. They struck a deal and the car and trailer were dropped off at the new owners house which was nearby. On the way back our friends picked up the balance of the price and their trailer.

Not a horror story but a good one. :)

Dreading Hershey yet again, especially that grueling 45 minute drive from our home to our spaces in the Red Field.:D Actually, over the years the flea market has moved progressively toward the Southwest so it's getting closer to home every year. The Red Field is about 1/2 mile closer to home than it was in 1968, our first year.

In 1973 I went to Hershey for my first time. Dad piled us all into the '40 Dodge and down we went. We caravanned down with my dad's friend Vince. Vince drove his '32 Desoto, and when we got down to Steam Valley, Vince's Desoto started steaming.

In 2007 when we got onto I-180 the other side of Williamsport and the paving contractor had one lane closed down, but had the signs wrong. We pull over into the lane that was marked as being open only to discover that it was closed. I had my pickup with the fire truck on the trailer behind it and skidded past the vehicle in front of me, while my dad had his truck, with the Plymouth pickup in his trailer skid beyond me. When we all caught our breath, we realized that he had blown a brake line on his truck, so we went from Samokin Dam to Hershey with only trailer brakes.

fortunately my stories only invovle trying to get eveything laoded in time, get to PA to find out the battery in the camper doen't hold a charge, or I forgot to pack socks.

Have had a couple of close calls on the highway like a motorhome pulling a trailer pulls across 15 in front of me and a semi that was along side of me.

I took a bus tour down from Pittsburgh one year with the local CORSA Chapter. We got stuck behind a wreck that closed the Turnpike for 5 hours @ 2 AM.

90+ guys on a bus watching The Shawshank Redemption.:eek: Twice:eek::eek:...., until the guy who had brought an accordion woke up.:rolleyes: I would've chosen a different movie to watch with 50 guys in close quarters.

At least we had a bathroom on the bus, if you held your nose. :eek: Yes, we did run out of toilet paper.:eek::eek:

90+ guys on a bus watching The Shawshank Redemption.:eek: Twice:eek::eek:...., until the guy who had brought an accordion woke up.:rolleyes: I would've chosen a different movie to watch with 50 guys in close quarters.

At least we had a bathroom on the bus, if you held your nose. :eek: Yes, we did run out of toilet paper.:eek::eek:

:D:D That's funny! I wanted to use more laughing faces but I was only allowed two!

Around the late 70's, maybe 78 or 79 my father, my brother and I went to Hershey to look for some 1955 Buick NOS chrome because we both had 55 Buicks. Those were the good years when you could find plenty of 55 Buick die cast still new in boxes.

Well anyway, after walking around for a couple hours we were hungry and wanted to stop and get something to eat. We saw a stand selling hot dogs, you know, the boiled ones...............:eek: My father & brother got theirs before me and as I started to put my condiments on my two, I could see in the corner of my eye they both were tossing theirs into the trash barrel. I looked at their faces and just tossed my two into the barrel.......:mad:

Today we sit and laugh at the memories of that day, the bad hot dogs, and all the nice parts we bought cheap.

..... Today we sit and laugh at the memories of that day, the bad hot dogs, and all the nice parts we bought cheap.

Now we can get an out of this world good crab cake sandwich :D but we haven't found a single part for any of our three cars in several years. It's really sad. For at least three years it has been me begging to go back to Hershey. Bill was ready to stop going. Too much cost to go with no return as far as finding parts. He swears if we don't find something this will be our last year going. I think he means it this time. :(

Susan, I really believe people save the good stuff or actually any stuff for ebay. Back in the 70's there was so many parts availlable, we were literally tripping over boxes of NOS chrome. My visit this year is to see cars and meet people. ........

Susan, I really believe people save the good stuff or actually any stuff for ebay. Back in the 70's there was so many parts availlable, we were literally tripping over boxes of NOS chrome. My visit this year is to see cars and meet people. ........

I think you are correct about ebay. Even in the 80's when we started going to Hershey we were finding lots of parts. We even, FINALLY, found an NOS set of correct running boards in mint condition for our 1939 Dodge Deluxe 4-door sedan.

It just seems so strange that with probably millions of parts there we can't find anything for any of the three cars. I would even feel better if we found things we didn't feel we should pay "that price" for.