90 coupe trunk lid

Guest Kingglory

Guest Kingglory

Hello, I just bought this today and have a strange issue. The trunk will not open with the key fob, glove box button or key. The relay is working and I can hear it. The actuator is new and you can tell, the trunk light does work so there must be current there. the actuator is free and clean and the whole assembly looks new.

ANY IDEAS PLEASE?

I have read about a "Ground wire" I can not see any ground attached to the lid unless its just a the connection with the latch bolts in the lid?

Any clues?

Thanks,

MIke

Try to lift the lid as you push the fob.There is a small lift finger on the trunk catch that will lift the trunk lid just so it clears the hold down. This is only to lift the lid from the catch,you have to manualy open the lid open to get in the trunk.

Guest Kingglory
Try to lift the lid as you push the fob.There is a small lift finger on the trunk catch that will lift the trunk lid just so it clears the hold down. This is only to lift the lid from the catch,you have to manualy open the lid open to get in the trunk.

I tried that, It is locked down period. The eletro/acuator is not responding and that makes no sense. I also adjusted that when I was going through everything.

I am stumped

The trunk light and power to the actuator are two different circuits.

You did not say what year, so I am looking at a 1990 schematic.

You also said "the actuator is new" and "the the relay is working"

Since the trunk light works, you would think the trunk is grounded.

That does not leave much .......

(1) unplug the connection at the actuator and attach a meter or light bulb.... ground

the other end of your test equipment and see if you are getting power to that point.

(2) if you have power.... you have either a bad actuator or bad ground.

(3) if no power (and the relay clicks) then the relay contacts are bad.

Guest Kingglory

Well after a few hours with this. I am safe to assume its the ACTUATOR ! There is power and the relay is working just fine. I unharnessed the assembly and hooked it straight up to 12 volts and grounded. Not a thing so it must be that. I also used a meter and it showed 12 volts up to that unit. Now for the stumper...Where can I got this actuator? I have a 1990 coupe.

You have power to the unit,BUT,this is a guess, is the unit grounded so the power will make it work.Try cleaning the ground on the bolts, or you can test the unit with direct power,to see if the unit is dead.

Guest Kingglory

Its not a ground issue at this point. I bench tested it and its dead. I called the dealer-stealer and $387.00 for the part.

They are freaking nuts!

Guest Kingglory

I did sent Jim an email. THANKS....

UPDATE

I just found the part at auto zone for $74.00 and asked him to re check the soilnoid with another bench check. IT WORKED ? Simply crazy. :confused:

What I do know is this:

I have power to the unit, The lid light bulb works just fine. The relay (in the trunk) clicks and I assume its working correctly.

I am going to scratch off some paint where it mounts and try to get a better ground. I will also make a new ground lead and attach it to the unit and the fender.

Fingers are crossed !!

Thanks everyone for the suport !

Ok, what I did was cut the orange wire with black stripe that is to the right when looking at the solenoid(there are 2 orange wires), then I jumpered a wire from the power ant. that has constant power and low and behold, it works!!!

Mine is an '89 don't know if they are different.

Guest Mc_Reatta

This seems to be the second circuit in the car your having problems with that has a relay in the same box by the antenna. I take a hard look at this area and the relays. Cleaning some contacts and or getting some new relays might solve all your problems at once.

Guest Kingglory

Swallowing my words ! Well some of you were right on this one. I ran a 16 gauge ground paralleled to the harness that powers the deck light and door solenoid. BINGO ! Works like a champ. All that and it was a simple grounding issue. THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT !

Guest Kingglory

On to the next project. I love this car it takes me away from spending time with the wife,LOL. I cant wait for something next to break, HAHAHA....

A good ground is VERY important. A bad ground will burn up a starter motor. You should clean all the ground connections you find on the auto. The electric to the house has a ground also,and this is how the currents path is completed.The wires coming into the house are the positive.the ground completes the circut.