1913 Overland rear end grease recomendation

laheyth

laheyth; Grease ? not gear oil ? Not sure of your EP2 designation, what is it? Most manufactures will have an application chart or guide which will define the specifications and the operating ranges of the particular oil that you will need. Check Restoration Supply, (advertising in the Horseless Carriage Gazette). They inventory a complete line of lubricants, for the brass age cars, including gear oils for both transmissions, and rearends.

regards; jerry janson

EP stands for extreme pressure, it depends on the additives.

the 2 is a NGLI rating wihich is the viscosity of the grease

00 is thin...2 is thick

At issue is when the car was built there were few standards.

With ball/ roller bearings,and brass cages, I am inclined to go with a o or oo grease which is still much thicker than gear lube.

Without taking the rear end apart, I am unclear how the axle tubes are blocked so the lube stays in the rear end, and does not run out the wheels, if I knew that, I would elect to use gear oil.

Hoping another more seasoned Overland owner will add comment

laheyth; your Overland rearend has felt seals at the outer-ends of the axles. These seals if in good condition will do their intended job. I have had no problem using a rear end gear oil such as Chevron's Delo SAE 85w-140, or other similar products. I am currently running this gear oil in a 1913 Cadillac. It works fine. regards; jerry janson

Thanks Jerry, that makes me feel better, I do not like the grease concept , and see too much brass sheen in the old grease.....probably bearing cages wearing away.......I will switch to gearlube.

• 1 month later...

I flushed the transaxle and rear end well, and filled them with gear lube.

The transaxle is higher than the rear end, and all the gear lube leaked through the bearings into the rear end, overfilling it.( I had left the top off to inspect)....I think I am back to grease.

What I use in my 1911 EMF, and a number of other member do is tractor transmission gear grease.

Its a very thick gear oil, even more than 600w. It lubricates very well and clings to the gear teeth and bearings. It's liquid enough to flow and lubricate well. But thick enough so it doesn't leak out easily. It's the lubricant used in farm tractor transmissions. It's used by Case New Holland (aka CNH). Not sure if John Deere or IHC have an equivalent.

Here's the info:

CNH

EP Gear Grease

Part # 9821006

• 2 weeks later...