Avanti R2, 1963, refresh

Good morning John.

Just wanted to say I feel your anxiousness about this up coming event for you!

The whole area effected is making news up here and look forward to your always interesting reports. Hope they will be only good ones and wish everyone stays warm and safe!

Best wishes.

Yep, thinking of you, John, by all accounts it's a big one coming....I think of my fairly short hilly driveway and what a pain it is to keep clear when this kind of snow comes, you've REALLY got your work cut out for you......keep warm and safe!

Sill a snowy Friday and now 5 PM.  We have 2 inches of snow so far.  Now coming down really hard and heavy.  Overnight we are suppose to get thundersnow.  Everyone is afraid that we are going to lose power.  We should be fine with our whole house generator.  County officials are asking everyone to check on the elderly, funny, we have not gotten a call.

Here are some progressive pictures.  Also one of me pointing to 24 inches on the stick.  All long way to go to 30.  My that is going to be some deep snow.  

On the mechanical side, got our neighbor's Kubota tractor started just as the snow started to fly.  It has been sitting out and not started for a couple of months.  Easy fix, the pinion gear was froze.  Hit the little gear and she started spinning.  Odd set up.  It is a sub-compact tractor with the engine reversed so the radiator is in the middle of the tractor and the starter and flywheel in the front.  

Update:  I know that others have it much worse so I am not saying that we are getting hit that hard right now.  As of 9:30 PM we have a snow total of about 6 inches, and the wind is probably 15 to 20 mph.  Lots of blowing snow.  Another report tomorrow morning.  The weather folks are still saying we are going to get over 30 plus inches, and we are just in the beginning of the storm, another 24 hours to go.  

post-91879-0-64249700-1453501326_thumb.j

post-91879-0-15783600-1453501330_thumb.j

post-91879-0-15202200-1453501334_thumb.j

post-91879-0-23618400-1453501337_thumb.j

post-91879-0-10318500-1453501340_thumb.j

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

5 AM on Saturday, January 23rd.  Just a quick early morning snow report.  We are nice and toasty inside and still have power.  All the animals are inside.  Still snowing here and just measured over 12 inches on the outside front porch railing at 12 inches. Wind is blowing too.  Snow expected to stop in another 17 hours and end with over 2 feet of snow on the ground.  Pictures when we get some daylight.  

Sounds like you have about the same as we do here in Winchester.  We have a small bird bath extending off our deck rail, and I use that as a measure, and we have a little over a foot with snow still falling.  It's a weekend so my wife doesn't have to work, I'm retired and every day is a Saturday, so all is good, let it snow!

A car friend of mine stated he wanted to see me walking up my hilly driveway in golf shoes.  Don't know why he referenced that, I've played four rounds of golf in my life and it's just not my thing.  Told him I went to the golf store to buy some golf shoes, so I could get the picture he requested.  They asked me what my handicap was, I said "I love antique cars...", and they kicked me out of the store......

Saturday, January 23rd at 1 PM.  Storm report for you all.  

I made it out to the new garage and fired up the snow blower.  What a slog to get to the garage, fell down once and it was tough to get up.  Next time the snow blower will be in the old garage.  Made mouse runs back to the house and the barns, and of course to the bird feeders.  I am done for now.  Tried to use the Kubota, but just too much snow to push right now.  And we still have seven hours of snow to go!  26 inches to go.  We will probably make it to 30 inches or more.

post-91879-0-18117100-1453572950_thumb.j

post-91879-0-88863400-1453572955_thumb.j

post-91879-0-76746600-1453572959_thumb.j

post-91879-0-75619300-1453572964_thumb.j

Your predicted record snow falls made the news here in NZ last night. The usual media nonsense of cars sliding on 1" of snow was shown on TV. Even the President's motorcade was held up in grid lock as a result of light snow, or so they said. My weather station said it was about 29 C at 6:30 p.m. last night, the hottest all day.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

We live close to DC, and the reporting there can be idiotic at times. This morning on a newscast, they had the "gal in the street" interviewing the few people that were out walking in the snow, virtually no car traffic. She asked one bearded gentleman how he was doing, he mumbled something and walked by the reporter, then came back and started on a political rant....the reporter just stood there holding the microphone, with the deer in the headlights look, as he ranted about the death spiral the nation is in, and the station finally cut away from the feed......obviously you take risks interviewing live in Washington!

Anyone have good pictures of their antique car in the snow?

Saturday, January 23rd at 1 PM.  Storm report for you all.  

I made it out to the new garage and fired up the snow blower.  What a slog to get to the garage, fell down once and it was tough to get up.  Next time the snow blower will be in the old garage.  Made mouse runs back to the house and the barns, and of course to the bird feeders.  I am done for now.  Tried to use the Kubota, but just too much snow to push right now.  And we still have seven hours of snow to go!  26 inches to go.  We will probably make it to 30 inches or more.

That is some deep snow!  My son is "stranded" in NJ, . At least in a truckstop, not on the road.

John, where do you live from, say Winchester?

Ben

Ben, we live near Orlean, VA.  We are about an hour away from Winchester, VA.

Glad that you son is stranded at a rest stop and not on the side of the road in the middle of no where land.  

It is just after 9 PM and it is still snowing.  Radar is still showing lots of the white stuff coming this way.  Hopefully, we will be in the clear by the morning and we can start the dig out.  Most of the roads around us are impassable.  I just hope that they can plow our road on Monday.  If not we are still OK.  

Just got a note that the Governor of Virginia has called at the National Guard to help first responders. 

John,

What crazy amount of snow! Sure hope everyone heeded the warnings in all states affected and are safe!

My sister lives outside Gatlinburg (Wiers Valley) and they were lucky they were in a pocket that only dumped 3 inches and no ice so escaped a huge hit! Guess things are shut down though as the elevations one has to travel become an issue.

My brother inlaw works for GM and was in Tn too on business, watched the weather reports and closed the last meeting early, grabbed an early flight and was home in Michigan by 11 last night. His two other coworkers waited and they are still not home...

If I may, take it easy tomorrow when it stops snowing please. All too easy to go at that snow even with equipment and hurt yourself. Wouldn't want something to happen to you or anyone for that matter.

Our winter here two years ago was record setting. Should have taken my own advice then....

Best wishes to all.

We saw the last flake at 11 PM.  What a white winter wonderland.  We stopped at about 28 inches or so.  Lots of big drifts from the wind.  I have just got mouse runs done with the snow blower and part of the new garage so I can get the tractor out.  Going to have to use the loader to move the snow rather than push it.  Goal for today is the long driveway and around the Suburban so we can attempt to get out if we need to.  The roads have not been plowed yet so there is no where to go anyway.  Have to try to dig out paths to the hay bales for the llamas also.  Lot of snow work to do today.  Oh, we still have power so that is a good thing.  

It is Sunday, January 24th.  The dig out begins.  I promise this will be my last snow report.

Eight hours and I finally got a hole out to the road.  Not that it does much good.  sill two feet of snow on the road.  The grader came by and skimmed six inches, could not go deeper cause he would get stuck.  Tried to use the snow blower but it was too deep, so used the Kubota, bucket by bucket.  Tomorrow I will make the driveway wider to get the Suburban out to the road, and I am sure that the driveway end will be covered with six feet of snow from the plowing the road, will probably have to dig out the entrance five or six times. 

Oh, and got the Kubota stuck as I was pulling it into the garage.  Had to use the Suburban to yank it back onto the hard pack.

post-91879-0-10115000-1453670537_thumb.j

post-91879-0-98565300-1453670549_thumb.j

post-91879-0-30994900-1453670558_thumb.j

post-91879-0-56997600-1453670562_thumb.j

post-91879-0-05989100-1453670574_thumb.j

post-91879-0-97596600-1453670580_thumb.j

post-91879-0-12051500-1453670587_thumb.j

post-91879-0-88228800-1453670593_thumb.j

post-91879-0-93961100-1453670599_thumb.j

post-91879-0-63608000-1453670636_thumb.j

post-91879-0-22805500-1453670642_thumb.j

post-91879-0-19922100-1453670652_thumb.j

post-91879-0-23588500-1453670686_thumb.j

post-91879-0-01282800-1453670692_thumb.j

John:

Very picturesque all that snow. Ours ended around 8:00 last night and an open spot in my yard showed 30" post-121302-0-69682200-1453673708_thumb.Todays photo of the snow on my small insignificant garage. (No jalousie here is there?) Living in town we are limited to shovels and an occasional snow blower attack. We still have not shoveled out the Kia from in front of the house but there is no need to be anywhere soon.

As an update on the Brass era Buick quest. First, I found out that the gentleman in Manasas who wanted to sell his 1910-10 runabout to a "Buick Loving Home"had passed away and his son still has the car. post-121302-0-84742000-1453675418_thumb. I let him know that I was still interested at what I offered at the time. At this point he does not want to sell.

I have been trying to work with a fellow in Pa who has a 1913-31 Touring. post-121302-0-09770800-1453675842_thumb.His step father restored after he passed they inherited the car and has had it in storage for 15 years. As he indicated in his ad it had won all these trophies and had achieved an AACA First place award! Great, only these trophies and awards were achieved between 1955 and 1958. The step father had restored the car in 1955 and seemingly did a very credible job. Although they used the very heavy vinyl upholstery of the time instead of leather. Looking at all the badges on the car it appeared as if they did tour the car heavily in the late 1950s. Needless to say the restoration is quite deteriorated and the car did not run when I went to inspect it in November. The seller indicated that it was running. My friend Mark Shaw has a 1913-31 that he tours regularly with and is quite knowledgeable about them. He suggested a price for a running /driving car (which this was not) $6,500 less than the sellers asking price. Also $5,000 more than I could offer. The sellers comment was at that price he would push the car back in the corner and let it rot!    He e-mailed me this week to ask if we could talk.as he still has it....WE shall see..

Just when you start thinking there can't be any more "garage finds," another one appears.  I was also watching an episode of "American Pickers" and they found a garage loaded with brass-era cars that had been in there forever.  Anyway, good luck Larry with our quest.

Larry, everyone is rooting for you.  Now you have to just buy something.

Ok I promised, but here are the final snow pics.  I had to make the driveway wider, the Suburban would not fit.

Still tons of snow on our road, but the plows are coming, or so we hear.  Not one car or truck ran the road today.  Tomorrow we are going out and into town.

post-91879-0-79197300-1453753154_thumb.j

post-91879-0-71263400-1453753159_thumb.j

post-91879-0-84789100-1453753164_thumb.j

post-91879-0-50638700-1453753169_thumb.j

post-91879-0-18637700-1453753174_thumb.j

Keith, thanks for the comments, I think that you have us beat.  We are such wimps when it comes to bad weather.

We headed into town this morning.  All the roads are clear, you did not need four wheel drive, but it helps.  Everyone in farm country is out with their tractors.  Never seen so many on the road.  

Today was shovel day for me.  Got the snow away from the generator and heat pump for the house.  No way would they work with all the snow piled on them.  The new garage heat pump was OK, the wind took most of the snow away from the pump and the roof.  I also have to shovel paths to the hay rounds, the llamas do not like snow and will not go to them.  So their human does it for them.  

• 2 weeks later...

It is Thursday, February 4th.  Just got home from a week in Seattle.  Much nicer there than here for sure.  A little rain and damp sure beats heavy and drifting snow anytime.  I was surprised to find a winter wonderland still after a week of melting.  Still over a foot of snow on the ground at the farm.  And there was heavy fog almost half of the way home, really hard to see.  The last ten miles we crawled along with three or four foot snow berms on either side.  Good to be home.

And we have a Greg report this morning.

"Haven't had a lot to share lately.  The day job keeps me busy,  haven't been able to take this latest OX-5 engine outside to get some running time on it,  so I've tried to make more progress on the Wright Brothers V8-60 recreation.  Connecting rods being the biggest puzzle pieces missing,  so I've returned to gnawing them out of steel bar.

They've actually been coming along.  Shaping them on a rotary table on the milling machine, I'll do a smidge of trimming on the other side and then  there'll be a lot of hand work with a die grinder,  burrs and sanding pads.   Photo enclosed as of quitting time today.   I'd attach more photos of the process but I see the pics are 1 MB (whatever that is) and have a feeling they'd choke up some computers.

Otherwise I've gotten the valves installed,  the valve spring heights adjusted and the rocker arm assemblies ready to install on the Matheson engine, and the Overland seat wooden structure about ready for the tin skin.

C'mon Springtime."

post-91879-0-87717800-1454582207_thumb.j

Sunday, February 7th.  Camaro Steve came over this morning.  He wanted to borrow my hammer drill.  I said sure, but I had to drill into the garage floor so I could mount the new little tire changer.  He said that he would do it.  So in about fifteen minutes, it was all done and mounted securely to the floor.  I can easily remove it to get it out of the way as the mounts are flush with the floor.  Good deal.

I did add a couple of washers to breaker arm to firm it up.  Seemed a bit too sloppy for my taste.

Still a lot of snow on the ground and more to come in the next couple of days.  And very cold too.

post-91879-0-65748300-1454870981_thumb.j

post-91879-0-59019300-1454870983_thumb.j

post-91879-0-50558700-1454870986_thumb.j

Bill, we have a critter sitter that comes to the farm and stays the night.  She works during the day at her horse job and then comes to the farm to feed and check on everyone.  She has been doing this since she was fourteen, she is now twenty-six.  Soon we may have to get her a 15 year service pin.  We have forbidden her to ever move away.  Heaven forbid if she ever gets married.

Not doing much on the car front, just too cold and too many farm chores.  Only thing I have accomplished is to plunk down some cash for two repo fender mirrors for the Jaguar.  Mine are loosing their luster and have a few debris dents in them and the glass itself is starting to discolor.  The new ones should be better than what I have now.  We will see.

post-91879-0-02609600-1455113258.jpg

Wednesday, February 10th.  The weather folks are advising us that Saturday will be the coldest day of winter so far, 13 degrees during the day and 6 degrees at night.  I will be leaving the pellet stove on 24 hours for those coldest of day.  And snow is to follow the cold also.

Just a couple of garage things.  I finished up putting on all the fittings on the bead sealer tank, used Teflon tape on all of them to make sure they sealed tight.  Then I charged it to about 80 lbs of pressure just to see how it works.  Reminder, never put you hand or other body parts in front of the nozzle when you release all that air.  I forgot that little warning and had my palm in front of the nozzle to gauge the amount of air coming out. Wow, that is a lot of air, really quick.  There must have been a little debris inside the tank as it shot into my hand.  It hurt and left a dent, but did not break the skin.  Lucky.  

And since I seem to do a lot of grinding I bought a full face shield.  I use safety goggles, but they do not protect the face when the sparks are flying.  So went on Amazon and found something I thought would do the job.  Here is a pic.  About $18 to my door.

post-91879-0-34339000-1455141134_thumb.j

Friday, February 12th and waiting for the snow to start flying.  So I have been doing a bit of YouTube surfing.  The Goodwood pre-war racing cars are pretty neat.  Here is an example.  

Talked to the insurance folks yesterday, and decided on $150,000 coverage for the new garage and its contents.  Does not include the cars, which have their own coverage.  Cost is $13 a month.

• Like 1

If only we in the Great White North could get gas as cheap! Current prices here in Toronto, Ontario are about $.88 per litre, and there's about 4 litres  to the US gallon, so that makes it about $3.50 Can per gallon, accounting for the differences in our dollars, it makes it about $2.65/gal or so. The gas prices here in Canada have not fallen as much as the price of crude has, plus the difference between regular and premium has got wider than it was.

Anyway, guys (and gals) that's my sob story for this rather chilly Friday night. The temperatures have are forecast to 12 degrees below zero (F). So it will be the coldest night of the year so far for us.

Keith