Avanti R2, 1963, refresh

It is still Monday, early PM. Well, took a dip stick to see if I had fuel in the Jag's tank. Sure enough, 1/4 full.

So, decided to try to start it one more time before I ripped everything apart. Flipped the toggle switch for the choke carb, hit the starter button, and of course, she fired right up. Tried it four more times and she jumped to start every time.

Going to check the operation of the solenoid of the starter carb. Maybe it is binding.

It is Tuesday, July 30th. Hope to find some time today to work on the fuel pump for the Jaguar. Have lots of farm stuff to do so we will see.

But I got a call from Wayne (remember he has the 64 Corvette that he is restoring) and he wants to borrow my open car trailer. Why, I ask. Well, he is looking at buying a 1964 Buick Skylark. What!!!!!! He is a two seater guy. He wants to be able to take the grandkids out and he has three of them. He is heading out this afternoon with the trailer to take a final look and may bring the car home. It is about three hours away from us. It looks to be an honest survivor, which is what he wants. Been in the same family since new. Stay tuned.

post-48480-143142115804_thumb.jpg

Still Tuesday, but PM. Done for the day. Wayne dropped by and picked up the open car trailer. He is off tomorrow afternoon on his great Buick adventure. Hope that he comes to an agreement with the seller and gets to trailer the car home. He as one thing in his favor, he has cash in hand.

This afternoon, after all the farm chores were done, I put the Jaguar up on jack stands, all four corners. Nice and steady, and I can easily get under it.

With all the wheels off the ground, the first thing I noticed was that one wheel was loose. So I grabbed the lead hammer and tried to tighten the knock off. That was a no go. It felt tight, but still movement in the wheel. So I grabbed my steel mallet and a 2x4, and smacked the ear on the knock off. That did the trick. A few wacks and it is tight. I checked all the other wheels and all were tight. Boy, I hope I never have to pull these off on the side of the road. I am going to take my steel mallet and a stick of wood with the car from now on.

I then did a general inspection of the undercarriage. Everything looked pretty good. Some oil scattered about, but will take some time tomorrow to clean it up. Nothing major, and all British cars bleed a little oil. If there isn't oil on the under side of the car something is wrong.

However, I did notice that the boots over the upper and lower ball joints are shot. Looks like a winter project. I will have to order some to have them on hand. Here are some pics of that area. The front and rear shocks are original to the car and are not leaking. Just going to leave them. There is really no reason to replace them at this point.

I then figured out where the new fuel pump is going to go. A nice spot alongside the frame. Here are a couple of pics.

I then drained the gas tank. Got about five gallons of fuel out of her. I was surprised to find about a teaspoon of water in the bottom gallon of the tank, and some of those little black specks of sand like material.

So now, smelling like fuel, I am done for today. Tomorrow I will cut the fuel line, make new electrical connections, and install the new fuel pump. It will be installed in the same electrical circuit as the old pump, so it will turn on and off with the ignition. So I will have two pumps pushing fuel into the engine. While I am playing around will change the little plastic filter I put in last year. I have one on hand and easy to do. Now there will be two fuel filters on the line.

post-48480-143142116943_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142116946_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142116948_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142116951_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142116953_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

It is Wednesday, July 31st, early PM. I went out at 8:30 this morning to work on the Jag's new fuel pump setup. Done at 12:30 PM to include some cleaning of the underside of the car, putting in another fuel filter, and then putting in about ten gallons of fuel back into the tank. The installation was pretty straight forward. I was able to reuse a couple of fuel line clips so the line is nice and tight against the frame. Made a little wiring harness for the hot leads of the pumps so they come off of one main line. I made sure that everything is nice and tight and fully insulated. Now the only thing left do is start the car. But Alice says I am a hog so I have to clean up before I attempt to start and run the car. Here are a few pics of the installed pump, dirty and clean (sort of) bell housing, and the new plastic fuel filter before the carbs.

post-48480-143142119071_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142119073_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142119075_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142119077_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142119079_thumb.jpg

Now a little bit later. The rain stopped for a bit. Not much just a little drizzle. More coming this afternoon. So I took the opportunity to head out to the Jag and see if she starts and runs.

I turned on the key and heard the very familiar tick, tick, of the SU pump. It was faster than normal as fuel filled up the line, but it soon settled down after about three seconds. I turned on the choke and hit the starter button. She roared to life with no hesitation. Now this certainly was not normal. Usually I have to run the starter for a few seconds before she would cough to life.

I checked the lines for any leaking fuel. There was none, everything was nice and dry. I checked the little plastic filter. Another not normal issue. Usually the filter is only about half full, now it is totally full. Well, nothing leaking, not raining, time to get it on the road.

Down the driveway and on to the country lane. OMG, are you frigging kidding me! This thing runs like a scaled cat. I am not kidding you, it feels like I have double the power. In third and fourth gear I get pushed back into the seat. The front end almost lifts off. What a feeling. Could it be that I was not getting enough fuel to the engine with my SU pump. Anyway I don't care. She really goes.

After about ten miles I headed home, and put the car back into the garage. At idle I can hear the tick ...... tick ........ tick, and now also a very faint hum. I guess you might say I just got a pacemaker for the Jaguar.

Oh, I also bought new rubber boots for the two upper ball joints, total cost, $28. A full kit with all the boots and bushing is about $200. Sounds like a winter project to me.

John, I had a similar experience with my little Honda Metropolitan scooter's electric pump. It would go about 12 to 15 mph and when I finally decided it might be starving after watching the fuel line only drip with the pump running, I changed the pump.( a small plastic devise about the size of a real thick 50 cent piece that was $75.00 !! ) Now it does 35 mph, and still gets over 100 mpg's ! I couldn't believe an electric pump "sorta' worked" ! Is your Jag a positive or negative ground ? My Mini and the Anglia are both positive grounds, and there is no problem getting replacement pumps for either, although the Anglia only has a VERY weak mechanical pump - - but - - I'm thinking of electrifying it with a Mini pump. I will have to be careful if I get the same results as you tho', because the ancient 3 1/2 inch wide, 4:50 X 17, dry-rotted Avon's might get burnt off in an acceleration "test"! Ha !!

John, good to hear from you. Glad you are still following along. The Jaguar is negative ground, 12 volts. Originally, it used two 6 volt batteries in series. Now I have a single 12 volt for a Mazda Miata. Works great. The single battery avoids the two battery problem of one going flat and leaving you with dead in the water with a very slow or non working starter as you are producing certainly less than 12 volts..

It is Thursday morning, August 1st. About 8 PM last night we got a call from Wayne. He bought the 1964 Buick Skylark convertible, loaded it on the trailer, and was heading home. He was one happy guy. He said that it was a great original survivor. He was concerned about rust, but found only one small bubble under the paint on one of the rear fenders. Glad to have another Buick in the neighborhood. Hopefully, we will get over to see it in the next day or so.

Here is a link to the for sale ad in the fourm. http://forums.aaca.org/f119/1964-buick-skylark-convertible-355285.html

Raining here today, but if it lets up hope to do some minor work on the Avanti. Maybe even take her for a spin.

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

John:

Thanks for sharing the photos from the original for sale listing of Wayne's new Skylark convertible. Great looking survivor in wonderful condition! I love that interior. I noticed in the underhood shot it has an Ah-ooo-ga horn (J.C. Whitney version). Now when Wayne comes cruising up your driveway and honks your '23 Buick will get excited knowing its cousin has come for a visit.

By the way, I've been reading your daily blogs for a couple of years now (morning ritual) and it seems like Virginia has been getting more than its share of rain - is there anyway to ask the rain gods to give you guys a break and send some down Texas-way? :)

Regards,

Fred

Fred, did you notice the CB radio? Now that is a throwback to the 80s for sure. I know that I will see the Skylark in a day or so and will take some better pics.

On the readership, I still seem to be getting 150 to 200 reads a day, so folks are still following along after all this time. Glad you are one of them, and hope you still enjoy them.

Still Thursday, raining all morning, so the Avanti work is postponed for the day.

So decided to play with the Jaguar. I thought I would take another look at the front suspension and do some more cleaning. It is clear that most of the rubber pieces on the suspension are toast. The exception being a couple of rubber bushings on the front roll bar. Since I had the car up in the air I decided to grease everything. I was surprised that the lower control bushings have no grease fitting, and no provision for one. But since both of the boots are ripped and open, I used my pin attachment to the grease gun and filled the cavity. I don't think those bushing has seen any grease since the car was new. Sure glad I got some grease in there. I am going to budget some dollars for a full rebuild. When I put the car back on its wheels I hope the grease will be forced into the bearing surfaces. I also was able to clean the front of the aluminum oil pan. She looks pretty good.

Oh, and my Coker radial tube tires have a build date of 2004. They still look good and are not checking, but they are getting old. Another big budget item. New tires are about $400 per tire plus installation.

There is also a round plate on the side of the oil pan. I do not know what purpose it serves. It is about the size of the bottom of a can of corn and held on by about twelve little screws. Its seems to be seeping a bit of oil. Will watch it and may change it out the next time I do an oil change. And I will have to see if I can find the reason for that hole. Oil pump maintenance?

Next I decided to see why the backup light did not work. The switch for the light is on the top of the transmission. I reach up there and found it along with the two wires still attached. To get to it for replacement you have to remove the carpet, seats, console, floors, and transmission tunnel. Sounds like a job. I then returned to the back of the car and found the wire to the light. I used a jumper to power it up and it works. Put the transmission in reverse, turned on the light and tried it to the only open wire from the front of the car. Nothing. So I probably have a bad switch. They are about $40 so will order one in a few days.

Still Thursday, I posted to Jaguar engine forum re the blocked off hole in the oil pan. Here is what Mike said.

"Hi John,

On the early XK120, which holds over 4 gallons of oil, there was an oil

level sender which read out on the fuel gauge when you pressed a button on

the fascia. Later cars eliminated the sender and installed a blanking plate

over the hole. Still later cars retained the raised boss but didn't drill

the holes.

Mike Eck

New Jersey, USA

jaguarclock.com

'51 XK120 OTS, '62 3.8 MK2 MOD, '72 SIII E-Type 2+2"

Chris, yes, it is like filling a well. I have to buy those big five qt. containers at Wally Mart. I use good quality, conventional detergent, 30 wt oil.

Still Thursday, now late PM. Just got home from visiting Wayne and his new 1964 Buick Skylark. What a find. It is a perfect survivor. And no rust anywhere. Also the paint is excellent for its age. Wayne reports that everything works too. Here are a couple of pics of the Buick and his 1964 Corvette.

The Vet is coming along nicely. He has just started work on the interior and has the dash installed and all the gauges hooked up. The wiring harness is in and installed too.

post-48480-143142121391_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142121393_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142121395_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142121397_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142121399_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142121402_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142121404_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142121406_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142121408_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142121411_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142121413_thumb.jpg

Over 4 gallons of oil!! Egad!

European cars then had a lot of oil because they could be driven at high speed for a long time. It was not the case with US cars; they can go fast but for a short moment as the oil is getting too hot and the lubricating film is getting bad. With more oil in the pan (or an engine oil cooler), US cars could achieve the same

European cars then had a lot of oil because they could be driven at high speed for a long time. It was not the case with US cars; they can go fast but for a short moment as the oil is getting too hot and the lubricating film is getting bad. With more oil in the pan (or an engine oil cooler), US cars could achieve the same

Wow! That's a lot of oil. My Volvo P1800 had an oil temp gauge and I always wondered why I never saw that on an American car.

It is Saturday, August 3rd. Signed up for the last two Jaguar cars shows of the season. One in September and the other in early October.

Have not had time for the Avanti yet as it continues to rain a bit. But I did get to spruce up the Jaguar after the work I have been doing to it. We are going to take it to Cars and Coffee tomorrow morning. Wayne is going to drive his new 64 Buick Skylark and Steve his 67 Camaro. Should be a fun morning.

Sometimes the old car folks are just so nice. Point being that I found out that I needed four door socket liners for the 23 McLaughlin Buick. So I posted my want over on the Buick pre-war forum that I also frequent. I figured that these little metal door inserts were long gone even in the 1930s. Leif gave me a lot of information on the samples he had drawn up so that really helped in the search. But then Tom Black wrote me and said that he had three from his special stash of Buick parts that he would sell me. I just jumped at the chance to get them. A couple of days later Tom wrote me and said that he found another one. So now I have four NOS door sockets for my 23. I have to just enlarge the holes just a bit to get them to fit. They will finish off my doors for sure. Thank you very much Tom. Here are some pics. I will post some more when I get them installed.

post-48480-143142123781_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14314212377_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142123774_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142123776_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142123779_thumb.jpg

Side curtains for an open car, at least the ones on the doors, have an upright rod that is usually square at the bottom (transitioning to round) and then extends vertically to support the side curtain at each door so you can open/close and so forth...these are the sockets into which the square bottom fits...

Joe, it looks like you got your answer from David. A very good explanation it is. Thanks David.

It is Sunday, August 4th. Early PM. We all went to Cars and Coffee this morning. Left the farm at 8 AM, filled up with fuel along the way, and were their by 9 AM. Wayne, Steve and I meandered up the freeway. No one had any issues except Steve. His Camaro kept blowing a brake light fuse. So he has some tracking to do.

We had a great time talking to folks and all the cars got looked over pretty good. I think that their was over a 100 cars there, of every description, year and type. Chris in his Avanti came too. It was nice to see him and all the work he has done on the car. Folks appreciated seeing an unrestored car.

We spent a couple of hours looking at all the other cars and then headed home by all the back roads. All in all, a very good day. Here are some pics.

post-48480-143142125859_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142125861_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142125863_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142125865_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142125867_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142125869_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142125871_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142125873_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142125875_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142125878_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14314212588_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142125882_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142125884_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142125886_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142125888_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14314212589_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142125892_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142125894_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142125896_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142125898_thumb.jpg

It is Monday morning, August 5th. Going to be a nice day today, then not so much for the next couple of days. I will take this opportunity to take the 23 McLaughlin Buick out of the trailer and take it for a nice ride before I put it back in the garage so I can pull the radiator. The Jag then goes back into the trailer. Still hope to get the cover off the Avanti and work on it too. Busy.

And speaking of busy, Greg is hard at it on his black Avanti.

"It was a good weekend for getting something done to Avanti 5054.

With Dynamat and carpet applied to both sides of the front toeboards and firewall, I also stuck some insulation inside the console tunnel.

Next I primped the dash and vinyl surrounding the windshield by cleaning , masking and spraying fresh vinyl paint.

With no excuse remaining, I got the windshield ready for installation. Only took two tries, but it's now in place.

Looking for some easy tasks to accomplish, I filled the steering box with semifluid gear oil, attached the engine to frame ground strap, also stuck the upper and lower radiator hoses on.

While I'd been working in the console I'd noticed the quadrant controlling the heater and venting was showing signs of rusting, so out it came. I had to drill the heads off the screws to free it from the car. It's now cleaned, primed and "semi cad plated".

Today especially the weather was conducive for progress, even though I feel Summer has peaked and on it's way out. While on an outing this evening, I noticed it was a great day for collector car spotting even though mine stayed in the barn."

=

post-48480-143142127127_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142127131_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142127135_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14314212714_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142127145_thumb.jpg

Still Monday, about noon. Got the Jaguar out and took a look at the rust spot in the bottom of the door jam. It is just surface rust from water moving down the gasket and onto the sill. It is just a little unsightly as your eye is drawn to it as you open the door to get in. And I am sure I get points knocked off when the car is judged too. The door jams and sill plates are still original.

I have some touch up paint that the previous owner left so dragged that out to take a look what is in the bottle. Well, it is maybe a 1/4 teaspoon of paint goo. Maybe I can test it with some solvent to free it up a bit. I was told that the paint on the car is water based so maybe some water will do it. I forgot to smell the paint, so maybe the smell test will give me some ideas.

I used my trusty Dremel tool and cleaned up the rust, and then was able to put some paint goo on my finger the slide it along the exposed metal. Not perfect, but it works. I think I will head to the hobby shop to see if I can find a close match in their model colors.

Here are a couple pics of the before and after. The pics make it look much worse that it actually is.

post-48480-143142127727_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14314212773_thumb.jpg

Still Monday, PM. Move the Jag to the trailer once I got the 23 McLaughlin Buick out. First time starting it on the new Optima sealed battery. Wow, she took right off. Since it was on t he driveway decided to go for a ride. Headed out on the country lanes, but wanted to be in walking distance just in case. So went one mile out to the main road and then back to the house, and then two and a half miles down the other way, so I had a nice run of seven miles. She ran great.

Since she was back in the garage I decided to see if I could get the curtain rod holders in. First I cleaned out the holes as the local mud wasps had a couple of nests in there. Then I enlarged the holes to 1/2 inch and drilled through a metal sleeve and into the door wood framing. After careful measuring and drilling I got one in. Looks great and the head matches the detent in the metal that the old holder made 90 years ago. So, I have one done and three to go. Here are pics of the cleaned out and enlarged hole and then with the new curtain rod holder installed.

And also decided to buy some spares and repair parts for the Jaguar. So am getting an oil filter, distributor cap and rotor (spares), and a new reverse light switch that goes on top of the transmission. I know I have to pull apart half of the car to replace the broken one, but just one more fun thing to do.

Just a note at the end of the day. I finished drilling the final two holes and installed the three remaining support sockets. They look great. Really finishes the doors with just that little bit of nickle plating on top. And they are not coming out in my lifetime. Maybe the guy fifty years from now will be cussing me as he tries to get them out.

post-48480-143142128326_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142128329_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn
added the end of day note (see edit history)

It is Tuesday, PM, August 6th. Today was Avanti day! Took time to give it a good wash both inside and out. I have no idea how a car can get dirty just sitting. But she sure looks good now. I then pulled it up on ramps to see if I could find the leak in the power steering. I have to add about a pint every week or so. Well, after crawling around for a bit and looking the gaggle of lines going into the controller I found one leak. One of the lines is just a bit loose at the controller. I tried every wrench I had and got it tighter, but I don't know if it will stop the leak. Just not enough room to get a wrench on it to really get it super tight. Greg said that I have to drop the steering assembly to get to lines. So I will leave that job for another day. I do have one line that has a kink in the metal and a chunk out of the rubber line covering. That will have to be replaced at some point. I also looked at the pump, and of course it has a leaking pump seal. Well, the good news, everything works and is well lubricated.

I do have a spare rebuilt pump that I bought on Ebay last winter so that will take care of that issue. If I am to drop the power steering controller then I am going to replace all the lines. So will how much that is going to run me. I know that Bob Helm, a Studebaker and Avanti vendor, sells them as a kit. I will give him a call.

But, I will leave well enough alone for now. It is not that much of an issue replacing fluid.

I then pulled the Avanti out onto our country lanes and let her have her head. She ran great and I had a very nice ride for about twenty miles or so. Made me realize that I have to get her out more.

Tomorrow, if the rain holds up, I am going to adjust the rear brakes and also put in some special friction oil for the TT (Twin Traction) rear axle. I had rebuilt the rear brakes, but that was almost two years ago, so want to take up any slack between the shoes and the drums as the brakes should be broken in by now. As for the TT axle, I did change the oil, but did not realize that you had to add a special additive to lube the clutches in it.

John some of the oils for the rear already have an additive for the clutches. However, I noticed after a long highway run 50-70 miles my limited slip clutches would chatter even with the additives. I drained it and refilled with Redline synthetic and never had a problem again.

Ken, guess so. Whale oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is Wednesday, August 7th, early PM. Yesterday was the coldest day on record for northern Virginia, 74 degrees. The average temp is 88 degrees. Raining here this morning so left the Avanti in the barn for a bit. We will see what the radar looks like to see if there is any clearing coming.

So with my Avanti plans out the door I decided to install the ignition wire set that I bought from Bob's Automobilia. Bob's was at the Buick Nationals with their familiar 1960's era travel trailer. A nice set for $50. As you might remember, my wires were too short. When I advanced the timing the wires would either pull out of the distributor or would act like a return spring and move the distributor to a retard position. The only fix was to replace the wires with longer ones.

Nice kit as it had everything needed to do the job. I did not use the coil wire as I have my coil mounted high on the firewall. I guess everything took about a hour and a half. I am a slow worker. Everything turned out great. Here are the before and after pics.

post-48480-143142130739_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142130742_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142130744_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142130746_thumb.jpg

It is Thursday, August 8th, AM. I sure hope the rain holds off, I have Avanti work to do.

And speaking of Avanti, here is Greg's report from last night. I have included a few pics of his 1912 International Harvester that he talks about.

"It's Wednesday.

Staying busy. Made a couple trips to the Burchill Old Car and Cigar Smoker's Club.

The Harvester has been awakened and is ready for it's Dayton/Harvester

swap at Frank Gable's convienience and weather permitting. Don't want

any waterspots on the old Cornbinder.

Tonight I devoted to the 5054 Avanti. Not my favorite job, but some upholstery

panels need to be installed before the back window can be installed.

The old cardboard paneling is toast, so new ones being cut and the old vinyl

being reinstalled. Trying to type this with sticky fingers from the contact cement.

Also I'm stripping the paint from the engine fan assembly.

I'd send pics tonight, but mislaid the camera. You'll just have to use your

imagination.

The rebuilt brake booster has arrived. Still waiting on a carburetor kit, voltage regulator, alternator pulley, and maybe

another heater housing. The old one has cracked up fiberglass. Easier to replace than repair.

That's all I can think of right now."

=

post-48480-143142132332_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142132336_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142132342_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142132346_thumb.jpg

Greg can tell the tale better than I can, but when his two boys were young-uns, every winter he'd take them out in the IHC pictured to harvest a Christmas tree, even if there was snow on the ground....that had to be a great sight!

Still Thursday, early PM. Well I moved the 23 McLaughlin Buick to the barn. I was going to leave it out while I worked on the Avanti, which is in the garage, but rain is forecast for the remainder of the day. It looks pretty threatening right now. Looks right at home in the barn. Looks very period.

Before I put the Avanti in the garage I decided to grab Shadow, the dog, and we headed off to town to fuel up. Ran great, but I am feeling a slight misfire or hesitation. The only thing I have done lately is to put in the fuel filter with a integrated fuel return line, which I hooked up to the existing return system. I think I will change it back to a simple in/out filter and see if that is the issue.

And took part of a freeway back home to just open her up a bit. We were at about sixty and all of a sudden it downshifted into second. First time it has ever done that. Surprised me for sure. I did not have my foot in it so I did not force a kick-down. When I slowed and then sped back up it shifted back up to 3rd. Odd. I have just purchased a filter kit so I do plan to change the transmission fluid soon. I will have to take some looking around at the linkage.

Well, we made it back home just fine. Got 13 gallons of premium. Had a couple of folks come over and I talked to them a bit, recounting the history of the Avanti. They were impressed. They had not seen an Avanti before, only heard of them. All in all it was a nice thirty mile run.

Pulled the Avanti into the garage, jacked it up, and put it on stands. Pumped out some lube so it had some room for the new fluid and put it in, and then topped off the pumpkin with fresh lube. All done.

I was going to adjust the brakes, but that will have to wait until tomorrow morning. I was reminded that we have to head out this PM. But I did take the time to look around at the drive train.

OMG! When I bought the car Greg came to look at it. He said at the time that it seems to be sitting a bit lower than it should. I did not believe him, I chalked it up to old age and time passing. He had not yet started on the restoration of his maroon Avanti. How could he remember.

Well, I just happened to be looking at the rear springs and noticed that one of the leaves, the primary one that holds everything together, is completely broken. It looks like I will be on the hunt for a replacement. Wonder how hard they are to replace? Might as well try to get both sides.

Here are some pics.

PS. Just looked at the Studebaker International parts catalog. They want a princely sum of $575 plus shipping. I sure hope that that is for two, not one. Will have to ask Greg who is his spring rebuilder.

post-48480-14314213242_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142132422_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142132426_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142132429_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142132432_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142132434_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn
added price of springs (see edit history)

It is Friday, PM, August 9th. Just a spring time update. I wrote Dave, and he gave me a good price on new springs for about $200 each. I also posted on the Studebaker Driver's Club forum. I got a response for springs from a Studebaker forum member to who has a good used pair for an Avanti. So we made a deal of $80 plus shipping. It will probably be a few days before I see them, but I am happy.

Talked to Greg, he is going to borrow my Suburban and enclosed trailer in September to take the 12 International Harvester wagon to a big event at the Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI. Right now his plan is to move the wagon closer to his work. To do that he has to move the Stoddard Dayton back to MD and switch the cars out. I think that this may be the event. Old Car Festival

It is Saturday, August 10th, mid afternoon. It is so hot and humid you might as well be in the shower. But I decided to tare into the Suburban and replace the little AC belt tensioner that is really free and has a slight wobble. I would hate to have Greg borrow the truck and have that fail far from home. It went in easily once I could get to it. As I had everything out I saw a grease nipple on a steering component. Never knew that it was there. I am sure it has never been greased. It took 30 pumps to get enough grease in it to see it come out of the seals. Here are pics of the tensioner and the grease nipple. I guess it took about three hours start to finish.

And over the past few days I removed the little safety brake batteries in all three of the trailers. One was bad, the other two charged up OK, but I bought three new batteries and will keep the others as spares. I usually pull and charge the batteries every 6 months or so, or when I am going to use them.

post-48480-143142134595_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142134597_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142134599_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142134601_thumb.jpg

It is Sunday, August 11th, early PM. I had a couple of hours this morning so decided to start taking off the broken spring on the Avanti. I have the maintenance manual so decided to read that first off. The instructions are pretty clear so off to the garage I go. I soaked all the bolts with Kroil. They all look pretty grungy. Off with the shock and then tackled the big mount on the bottom with the two U bolts. Had to use a breaker bar with a jack handle extension to get off the U bolt nuts. They were all on very tight, and I managed to break one and then had to cut the other one out. But the bottom plate is out. I am sure that I can get new mounting pads and U bolts at my local Carquest or NAPA store.

Right now I am done with car stuff for the day, but if I get a hour or so in the late afternoon I will see if I can get one of the spring shackles out. For the rear one I know I have to drop down the exhaust or at least remove it from the two back hangers to get enough room to get out the long bolt holding the spring to the frame.

Here are some pics.

Oh, we went on a two mile walk this morning before heat of the day and spied this little nest on one of our trees. I think I will just leave it alone. It is huge, larger than a basketball for sure.

post-48480-143142135682_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142135685_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142135687_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142135689_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142135691_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142135693_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142135695_thumb.jpg

Hey John, if the store looks at you funny when you ask for Avanti spring mount parts, I had a few N.O.S. lowering block kits that were for Larks, Hawks, Avantis, Falcons, Fairlanes, and Comets. Might look at those if they go "deer in the headlight eyed" on ya'. I'm sure Mustang would have been listed if it had existed in 62-63, so it should work too. Good luck, and glad you found the trouble before it became trouble !! John