Sign in to follow this  
CarlLaFong

Gen-u-wine 1919 Merc for sale

Mercedes had quite a few advances I didn't think came along until a bit later. That generator, the fuel pump and carburetor, hydraulic brakes and front wheel brakes, the wheels and tires, the list goes on. I'll have to completely re-think what I thought I knew.

jim43

That cannot possibly be a 1919 Mercedes. There are too many modern parts and the shape is completely wrong. Is someone messing with us??

Jim43,

You put it very nicely.

I hope the guys bidding on this don't really believe that line "This beautiful car was build in 1919 and all parts are original". More like 2009. That Delco generator was never in a MB that I know, but then there is a lot I don't know.

Dave

What is it really?

Hash. Its a 2009 Hash and that's the G rated name. he he

"Herman Munster's daily driver." I laughed till tears ran down my face.

Dave

I'm most enthralled by the rear end shot. The graceful flow of the gorgeous Teutonic coachwork, the top you could bounce a quarter off of. And that sumptuous interior with the original ribbed rubber carpeting, you just can't buy that sort of quiet elegance any more. I'm sure we will see it at Pebble Beach soon.

One of the first things I look at in an "original" car, is the firewall - it tells a lot about jury - rigging, and this one is no exception. The coil is obviously not in its original position, and the wiring is all poorly re -done. And what is that in the frame? Looks like a bracket that goes nowhere. Not the way Mercedes would build a car.

All that is is a homebuilt contraption. All the early Mercedes that I've ever seen from that ere were large, magnificent machines. That thing looks like it came from the Roger Rabbit ride at Disneyland. How about the front tires that are not centered under the fenders, which look suspiciously like Model "A" Ford. Those rears were not stamped out in 1919, I will bet all that I have on that. He has his buddies bidding on it to drive the price up. I hope some poor sap doesn't bite and buy that awful thing. I seriously think the Brewster is a much better looking "car"

I am curious about the engine. Did Merc ever build a flathead?

Plastic lights???? Vinyl top??? Crank hole and no place to put the crank? Hummmmmmm.

Looking at the tags and the right hand drive, it looks like it's from India.

I agree his friends are bidding it up.

I wonder what that front suspension came out of? Double transverse leaf springs?

Dave

It could in fact be a mid to late '30's Mercedes Chassis. We had a '36 230 with similar dual transverse front springs and Mercedes did indeed build a flathead in those years but the body is of course a pure fantasy. Cowl looks suspiciously like Model A Ford.

The casting of the exhaust manifold look "modern"

How many down draft cars in that era ? Most very old cars I've seen have updraft

After reading the comments for the past 24 hours, I decided to take a look. In no way is this a vintage vehicle, do you think that Mercedes would use a painted cast iron pipe for a bumper??? The dimensions all look exaggerated, a late teens car (even a speedster) would be more massive and have a taller rear deck. The knobs on the dash are mismatched and look modern and the seats seem to be some type of '60's bucket from what I can see.

I suspect that the engine may be from some sort of industrial application (forerunner of Hercules IXB?) and while I know nothing of early M-B's, I suspect an original would have chrome and at least a wood dash and steering wheel. I agree on the carb and the manifolds look modern.

All in all, a true M-B would never have left the factory with such a "Plain Jane" appearance. I hope the buyer does not get taken on this deal....

I don't know anything about 1919 Mercedes, but I think that the seller is quite truthful when he said this... "is not easy to locate something like it. The photos speak for it self."

I don't think that Herman Munster would be caught dead in it. He had way too much class!

Holy smoke- it's "My Mother the Benz" !

Definitely a WTF moment, if you'll pardon my German...

Benz did build some L-head engines; a few years back, there was a '52 Benz 170 (?) sedan at Macungie; I couldn't get over the L-head four, with updraft carburetion, and gravity fuel-feed from a cowl-mounted tank... that kind of tech in 1952, from one of Europe's legendary uber-car manufacturers ?

It was a neat little car, in nice shape, but by American standards, was outdated by 1938.

Back to the eBay "Benz"... anybody regognize what country the license plate is from?

The front suspension appears to have a tranverse leaf spring like a Willys or Studebaker. Generator appears to be Delco-Remy.

Goodness knows what this thing was cobbled-together from... but it's pretty hideous, and "wrong" on every level for a 1919 car of ANY make...

And it's been bid up to $15,000 ? Something smells fishy...

Edited by DeSoto Frank (see edit history)