95 roadmaster with leak ac? passenger side.

Guest daveagain909

Guest daveagain909

does anyone have any information on how to clear the AC drain, I am having a lot of trouble locating drain, and do not find any hose where water can drain, water is leaking into passenger side. need help on what to do?, and how to find source of leak?.

The a/c drain tube might be a little difficult to find, but it's there. In some cases, only a short length of metal or plastic tube will stick out through the firewall into the engine compartment. I'll be at the same basic level as the bottom of the a/c case, so it'll not be very high on the firewall, but really pretty low and near where the firewall starts to angle down and transition into the footwell area.

In some cases, there is a rubber boot that slips over the drain tube on the outside, making a right angle turn downward. In many cases, the boot will be long on the bottom side--if you squeeze it lengthways, like a vinyl coin container, it'll cause a gap in the middle where the accumulated water can suddenly gush out--be sure to stand back when you do that with the car on a lift. In other cases, it can be a rubber tube with a right angle bend downward and a full round hole on the bottom side.

One time, I noticed a seep from an a/c drain boot on a middle 1980s Buick Century sedan, while it was on the lift for an oil and oil filter change. I touched it and it seeped a little more. Then I managed to squeeze it again and about a gallon of yuky water and algae and stuff gushed out onto the shop floor! Whoops!! When the deluge subsided, I made sure the exit slot was clear and walked away--not to do that again.

There was an issue on GM full-size pickup trucks several years ago where water leaked into the floorboard. Seems that at certain highway speeds, underhood pressure would not let the water drain, so it backed-up and leaked inside the vehicle. The fix was a right angle rubber boot to put on the exposed drain tube under the hood. I'm not sure if your car should or should not have such a boot on it, though. Still, though, there should be a drain tube sticking through the lower firewall that needs to be "clear" for the accumulated condensate to drain from.

Just some thougths,

NTX5467

Guest daveagain909

Thanks, we are working on it and have found something very interesting which may follow your final comment about underhood pressure not letting the water to drain. when driving at 40 to 60 miles per hour the water is leaking into car, when stopped I find water on ground, (i cannot see drain without really hunting around so not sure were water on ground is coming from) but after setting and letting engine to cool down so we do not burn hands and water has stopped dripping outside. we inserted a cleaning brush into drain hole which does not have any hose or anything on it. WE FIND NO ECCESS WATER IN DRAIN LINE AND WATER AT THIS POINT IS NO LONGER DRAINING IN CAR. We are going to try to put a 90 degree joint at where drain comes out of firewall with a small hose on it so we can see easily ho it isdraining. this will perhaps answer where water or if water is draining. I will let you know how we make out. if anyone has any other ideas please comment. BY THE WAY THIS LEAKING HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR A LONG TIME BECAUSE FLOOR PAN IS RUSTED OUT . Just bought car 6 months ago and am now finding this problem,

I had the very same problem with my '95 RM, and I believe it was why the previous owner sold the car. It had ruined the carpet, but, no rusting had occurred yet. The rear floor would fill up with water. I drove it to Hershey, then all over the Northeast coast area 2 years ago, and when we got home, we had about 2 inches of water in the rear floor area. The problem was finally solved. The moisture collector box was not installed thru the firewall correctly. It must have been forced thru the hole, and kinked it at the bottom, thereby letting the water inside the car and not out thru the drain tube. It took a lot to fix it, but, that now is done. I wasn't the one who fixed it, so, I can't say exactly what it looked like, that's just what they told me. I had given up trying to find the problem.