Another "What happened to...? question.

Guest rapidrob01

Guest rapidrob01

I have been enjoying the thread about Henry Austin Clark and his collection. When I was a lad and just getting interested in old cars, Clark's Long Island Auto Museum was high on my list of places to visit. Alas, I never made it there.

But this sparks another question in my mind about another kind of collection. I recently went to Laramie, WY to the American Heritage Center at the University of Wyoming, doing some research for a manuscript project. I came across a collection of material that mentioned Floyd Clymer numerous times. When I began to put together an automotive library, many Clymer books were among the first I purchased. I still have them all.

Not to go into any detail, but the references were not especially positive. I'm wondering what ever became of Floyd Clymer's vast collection of auto memorabilia and literature after his passing in 1970? Does any of it reside in another collection or library? Or has it all been scattered to the winds. An internet search doesn't turn up much about his estate.

If anyone out there knows the story, I'd love to know the details.

Thanks.

Bob.

There was a rumor for years that the bulk of the Clymer material was still in the hands of a publishing company in L.A. that had bought out Clymer Publications . I never tracked it down, but assume it is still there and a larger part unappreciated by the people who have it. I was also told by a publishing friend in L.A. that the people would not share with other historians or had a interest in selling the collection. I know a lot of automotive historians who would like to get access to, or purchase what is left of the collection. It would really be nice to see the Clymer collection donated to the AACA archives.

Guest rapidrob01

Thanks to West and Bob for the responses.

I have been able to find out that Floyd Clymer Publishing has had a convoluted history since being sold in the 1970's. Most of Clymer's titles and yearbooks live on under an automotive publisher located in Texas and are still available on a limited basis.

The repair manuals and technical books belong to an Arkansas media company and new titles continue to be issued under the Clymer brand.

I was not aware of the Cars & Parts role in this and it is worth following up on.

I'm hunting for a couple of scrapbooks that were loaned to Clymer in the late 60's, about the same time that Bill Harrah completed the restoration of the New York-Paris Thomas Flyer and made her one of the stars of his collection. They belonged to the family of a pioneering western autoist who figures in the story of the race. Unfortunately, the family was never able to get the material back, and it was eventually lost to them.

My hope it that these scrapbooks still exist someplace. I would love to examine them and make copies for myself and the family.

Thanks.

Bob.