Camaro muffler for Reatta

Barney Eaton

I just did the attached picture/sketch to answer a question from a Reatta owner.

I used the old cut and paste method and it did not come out that clear.

If any of you are good with retouching pictures I would appreciate it if

you could clean it up and Ronnie could put it on his site.

Also, if any of you have used the Camaro/Firebird muffler and have

comments on the sound of different brands/makes you might want

to add your input.

post-30596-143138112215_thumb.jpg

I just did the attached picture/sketch to answer a question from a Reatta owner.

I used the old cut and paste method and it did not come out that clear.

If any of you are good with retouching pictures I would appreciate it if

you could clean it up and Ronnie could put it on his site.

Also, if any of you have used the Camaro/Firebird muffler and have

comments on the sound of different brands/makes you might want

to add your input.

Barney, I couldn't retouch your photo. Will this work?

post-52331-143138112244_thumb.jpg

I was looking at the diagram and am far from being a mechanic, but it appears that in order to make this work, you change the direction of flow? I thought muffler systems were flow sensitive. It looks like doing this would alter back pressure and alter performance.

I am curious, has anyone actually done this? If so, what was your experience?

Here is one example of a Flowmaster Camaro dual exhaust added to a '91 Convertible - I like the sound of the 3800 engine although some would complain that is louder than stock. It's my observation that most every Mercedes, Cadillac, Lincoln, BMW, you-fill-in-the-blank sport/luxury automobile manfactured today has dual exhaust and I firmly believe that the Reatta should had been created from the same DNA as the T-Type or Grand National Buicks of the day.:D

post-31355-143138112771_thumb.jpg

post-31355-143138112773_thumb.jpg

Well the stock Reatta has duals, just next to each other. A mild six really does not need duals. OTOH I have just a single 2 1/2 straight pipe out of the turbo on the MGR and it is quieter than the Fiero.

That said yours do look goog.

Is there anyone who can answer the rest of Barney's question, which is what models and makes of mufflers will work on the Reatta. If it is the Camaro Flowmaster, which year of Camaro and which model of Flowmaster, etc. One custom shop said he thought I would find the Flowmaster too loud. I do not mind it being a little louder but I do not want my Reatta to sound like some of these rice rockets with mufflers like a wash tub. I am looking for a nice, throaty or bubbly sound.m

What models and makes of mufflers will work on the Reatta. If it is the Camaro Flowmaster, which year of Camaro and which model of Flowmaster, etc.
The answer to those questions were answered in the picture that Barney provided and I re-posted, which can be found in this thread.

Cool Wheels........ there are several series of Flowmaster brand mufflers. If you can find a dealer that will let you look at their catalog, each series has a chart that shows the size and compares the interior and exterior "tone" level with OEM mufflers.

The OEM muffler is classified as MILD, their next higher (louder?) rating is MELLOW, then DEEP, and finally POWERFUL.

The quietest they have is their Delta Flow (my catalog is at least three years old and they may have more series today) and the 60 Series is rated at high MELLOW/low DEEP, but they do not have the Camaro design in that series.

Again in the catalog I have, they don'd list any mufflers with 2.75 diameter inlet and outlet....everything is either 2.5 or 3 inches.

I had a camaro muffler / duals done a while back. I believe the muffler was mid-80's RS Camaro. ( I posted on it then, so it should be in the archives somewhere. It's got a growl to it but is still pretty quiet. I'm happy with it and glad I had it done.

I had a camaro muffler / duals done a while back. I believe the muffler was mid-80's RS Camaro. ( I posted on it then, so it should be in the archives somewhere. It's got a growl to it but is still pretty quiet. I'm happy with it and glad I had it done.
Do you recall the brand of the exhaust pipe tips you used? They really look good.

Ronnie, sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. I bought the tips from an E-bay supplier - don't have any way to go back to the site. I had just plugged in tips and bought from one of the sites that came up. I suspect they're still doing business there.

• 1 month later...