Hershey

junkyardjeff

Shoprat, take your side cutters (with insulated handes), hand the guy two bucks, when he asked "what's that for?" cut the 120volt plug of the end of the cord, and tell him "I asked you to turn the volume down and now you'll need a new one of these" as you hold up the plug. Not only will he need a new plug but someone will have to find and reset the breaker. Hey, you paided for the plug.

Shoprat, take your side cutters (with insulated handes), hand the guy two bucks, when he asked "what's that for?" cut the 120volt plug of the end of the cord, and tell him "I asked you to turn the volume down and now you'll need a new one of these" as you hold up the plug. Not only will he need a new plug but someone will have to find and reset the breaker. Hey, you paided for the plug.

novaman, I LOVE the way you think. Sure wish I had thought of that. :D

But...it happens every year. There is always a modified car being shown and/or for sale. Even as simple as custom wheels & suspension mods are on cars(which at one time was clearly stated as a no-no for the car corral, not sure if it still does) are there!

Stonefish, Yes there are some that show up because the owner was not truthful about what they were bringing.

I had just such a car in a class I was judging one year. On the outside the car looked correct, but then they popped the hood and the engine was WRONG. Rather than make a scene with the owner we judged the car and then I took the owner aside and explained to him that his car was not going to win an award because of the incorrect engine. That to compete in AACA he would have to put a correct engine back into the car. He was okay with that. Maybe he just didn't understand the rules or thought he might slide by. I don't know the answer to that but when he left he understood what the rules are and why he couldn't get any award. The judging sheet was noted that it had an incorrect engine in it.

While I have modified cars rattling around what little brain I have left what exactly what do they consider a car modified,for example say I have a 40 ford coupe that is lowered slightly and has period correct asseccory flipper hubcaps up front with skirts on the back and it still has the original motor and drivetrain but the motor has a merc crank with aluminum heads and 3 carbs and a dual exhaust. Example # 2 a 40 coupe all original but in 49 the motor blew and a brand new 49 motor was installed at the dealer but the rest is all original,example #3 a completely original 40 but it has about every asseccories that could be bought at the local Western Auto store.

Hershey is the best thing all year, just wished they would go back to old parts ,and not nic nacs.I will still go,last year ,and a few before ,to many people selling junk.Just how do we do it..Seems like any more,you walk ,and walk for parts.Diecast here.nic-nacs there.Sorry for the rant,but i think it is reasonable.I also think,if you do not run your space,and put junk parts out,just to get a place to camp,out of here.Just venting, and sorry ,Hershey is not what it was.

I wish all the swapmeets would go back to selling old parts,the ones around here are getting full of latemodel parts,tools and junk. This is probably the sign of the times since most of the old parts have been used up and the older guys who usually were there are not in good enough health to do it anymore or deceased so not its the younger crowd with what ever they can get to sell.

While I have modified cars rattling around what little brain I have left what exactly what do they consider a car modified,for example say I have a 40 ford coupe that is lowered slightly and has period correct asseccory flipper hubcaps up front with skirts on the back and it still has the original motor and drivetrain but the motor has a merc crank with aluminum heads and 3 carbs and a dual exhaust. Example # 2 a 40 coupe all original but in 49 the motor blew and a brand new 49 motor was installed at the dealer but the rest is all original,example #3 a completely original 40 but it has about every asseccories that could be bought at the local Western Auto store.

That vehicle would not be permitted to be shown or sold at a national AACA event.

They allow certain modifications to be made, most of them are approved safety items such as seatbelts, battery cut-off switches, etc. But even they must look period correct and be installed neatly. Vehicles can be painted any color available for the year, make and model. Same with the interior, anything that went with correct paint as an option.

Your vehicle does not look as it did, or could have, when it rolled out of the factory. Dealer options, unless they were factory authorized, are not accepted and points are deducted. For the right money dealers would put whatever aftermarket items the owner wanted to make the sale. Those items are non-authentic according to AACA rules.

Thats what I needed to know and it does not look like any of my vehicles would ever be allowed in a AACA show,when I put mine togather I use what ever parts I can find. When I redone my 37 Chevy p/u it was missing a bunch of parts and I used a 57 235 (should of used a 54) for the motor and since I could not find any good used or reasonable NOS fenders and running boards I installed fiberglass and a reproduction bed and painted it a color I liked that the paint shop had in stock. When I first got it done it was all original except for the motor,paint and interior material but I did further modifications to make it be able to travel at highway speeds and handle better so if they seen me coming to a show thay would have a cow,I have decided to put a more stock period correct interior in it and trying to make the 235 look like a 216 for fun which has fooled some but the casting numbers will give it away to the experts.

That vehicle would not be permitted to be shown or sold at a national AACA event.

They allow certain modifications to be made, most of them are approved safety items such as seatbelts, battery cut-off switches, etc. But even they must look period correct and be installed neatly. Vehicles can be painted any color available for the year, make and model. Same with the interior, anything that went with correct paint as an option.

Your vehicle does not look as it did, or could have, when it rolled out of the factory. Dealer options, unless they were factory authorized, are not accepted and points are deducted. For the right money dealers would put whatever aftermarket items the owner wanted to make the sale. Those items are non-authentic according to AACA rules.

I am amazed at those who take a basket case and put it back totally original,I just dont have the paitence to wait and find parts so my vehicles are a collection of many years of parts that will bolt on or take minor modifications so I can drive it in a reasonable time. I have built my cars before I got a computer and scrounged all the parts at a few local junkyards that had older cars and swapmeets,I want a 40 Ford for a next project but with the closing of many old junkyards around here it will have to be almost complete or only missing parts that are available in reproduction.

Thats what I needed to know and it does not look like any of my vehicles would ever be allowed in a AACA show......

Sadly no, not of they are that modified. Our shows just aren't for your vehicles.

That said, you should continue to enjoy your vehicles. Drive one to an AACA show and park it nearby for others to see and enjoy and walk the showfield and get acquainted with how the AACA does things.

We have folks with both original/restored vehicles and they also have a street rod/modified in the garage too. One of the guys here sent me a photo of his street rod. :rolleyes: It is beautiful!!! :cool: But he won't post a photo of it here because he understands the rules that we go by here.

Sussy Q You have the patience of a saint

Thanks wj. :)

JJ is trying to understand if his vehicles are okay in the AACA. He deserves to be guided kindly. Who knows, he might decide to join up with us. He doesn't have to have a vehicle at all to do that. Just the same love of them that we have.

When I am done with my 37 it will look mostly stock to the untrained eye but does have some safety and performance improvements,since I cant dazzel anyone with brilliance I will baffle them with b/s. I just cant leave anything alone and have to make it they way I want it,I had some scratching thier heads on the motor as its a 57 235 made to look like a 216 but I need to see if I can get a 216 side cover to work on it then I am done with the motor.