'38 Buick Special - 2 dr

jeff

I need to make a decision. After 20 years of effort, and a BRAND NEW engine rebuild, my car was hit from behind. I can either let the insurance co have it, or see it off to a good home (or, still consider fixing it myself).

'38 Buick Model 48 (2 dr trunkback sedan)

Repairable, but: rear part of frame kinked, body buckled, fender, decklid, bumper, tool tray, trunk floor - all damaged.

Otherwise: perfect engine rebuild, .030 over, turned crank, insert rod bearings, new valve guides, balanced, etc. Less than 25 miles on it!!!

Clutch, trans, brakes, complete front end, exhaust, tires, radiator, chrome. Everything done by me - body and interior show my amateur level, but mechanically, no excuses.

Spare parts? Yes, tons and tons. Bring a trailer.

Wow, it hurts to type this...

My decision is not made yet, but please contact me with your interest. Not particularly interested in parting it out. The car can still be fixed, or can offer nearly everything to another restoration.

Jeff

Jeff,

I know 3 people here in Nebraska who had their old cars hit hard. All 3 one out over the insurance companies by having recipts and sticking to their guns. All 3 cars were put back on the road. The insurance companies also bought the parts to repair, from the owners or else where.

Randy

'38 Special sportback

'89 Reatta

'89 Reatta

and on and on

Jeff, That is a heart breaking story.

After 20 years effort it would be hard for me to give up on it.

I remember years ago I totaled my Valiant wagon. The insurance paid me the book value for the car and then let me buy it back for scrap value, $25. It was a loOOong time ago.

Ask'em, what the hey, the worst they can say is no.

If you keep it, you could buy another one and make one from two. That's what I'd do.

Dave

Pirate,

The car is located in just south of Dayton, OH in Centerville. I will need to work up an inventory and think about a price. In general, the car is mechanically near perfect, everything is redone. Everything works reliably.

Send me a private message with your e-mail address and I will respond with a list of stuff.

Again, I really haven't finalized my decision yet.

Dave B.,

Sure, I can take a lesser amount from the insurance company and keep the title. If I do this, I can fix the car myself, or, see the parts go to a good home.

Jeff

The insurance settlement will fix it, that part is ok. It's more a matter of whether or not I want to embark on this new journey. Mechanically great, but body and interior are just amateur efforts. So, how much time and money do I want to sink into it?

Someone else may benefit from all the mechanical goodies - if not, I'll probably decide to fix it.

Pirate - did you still want to review the list? Send me a PM. I'm still working on my inventory!

Everyone - thanks for your concern!

Jeff

Wow, soooo sad to hear this. :( I dont come on here much anymore but I wanted to check on James C's fuel pump discussion, and then I happened to see this.

I never made a post about it but mine actually got hit one night this summer...05 impala made a right-on-red as I was coming just into the intersection, both fenders on the pass. side whacked pretty good. I just dont like that the original paint will have to come off them. So I totally understand your frustration.

I dont know whats going on. I too know of 2 or 3 other old cars in this area that got hit this year.

I definitely had a little hubris I suppose....just always figured it could never happen. I havent been in or near an auto accident of any kind ever in my 5 years of driving!!!

What the hell do you do. We wonder why people dont take their stuff out and keep them "trailer queens" :(

• 1 month later...