Australian Dodges (history)

LennyDaVinci

Hi Paul, last thing that you sent or rather that I received was on 3/19 and my reply was ..........Thank-you for the info, have not had a chance to look it over but will do so tonight and comment further.

I would be very interested to hear more about this..............The exception was the sedans imported from America, these were all steel. The 1927 Dodge Brothers Senior line for example is promoted as the " all steel American Body.............I guess you assumed I knew this, maybe you had already posted it and I somehow missed it?

I am trying to read and re-read and get all of this in order but anything you can provide that leads to this assumption/fact you posted on the forum just today ( copied and pasted above ) would be a BIG help. Thank-you.............in case you did not get my response

I did not comment further as I was waiting to hear what you might have to add with this .............The exception was the sedans imported from America, these were all steel. The 1927 Dodge Brothers Senior line for example is promoted as the " all steel American Body.............but yes, again it was as always very much interesting.

Did you send anything pertaining to this...........The exception was the sedans imported from America, these were all steel. The 1927 Dodge Brothers Senior line for example is promoted as the " all steel American Body...............or is this what you have now posted above and all the info you have concerning this????

I have some things coming your way hopefully this evening, I have been under the weather the past few days but am now starting to get up to speed.

Guest 36 roadster ute

Hi Jason, hope your feeling better. The last post is an extract from 1927. The brisbane exhibition it mentions is an anual event held since 1876 that showcases everything fom livestock to industrial advances. Specially at that time, it was a big deal.

Some of these articles are illustrated, although the particular article this is quoted from is not. When i try to copy these pages they create files too big to load in this forum. I can send full pages if you would like. Many have photographs of the various models but are of newsprint quality, and some are better than others.

I have noticed that through following thes old papers, it seems the first Dodge Brothers dealers appeared here in 1915, and can list them by state. But there was a change by about 1920-22, with the rights moving to other sellers in most states. Probably due to the embargo. I will let you know more when i can narrow this time frame down.

The research continues.

quote........I can send full pages if you would like. .........Yes very much, as mentioned will send you some info this evening.

Food poisening I think, we had some mangos that looked like they were starting to turn so I decided I had better eat them before it was too late ;)

Me thinks and two different orfices on my body thinks it was too late :eek:

BTW Ive just about given up on my spelling and am growing weary of having to run everything thru the specllcheck delio on my yahoo mail so you guys are just gonna maybe have to learn to deal with it

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

I understand that 1927 2249 Dodge Brothers Senior did not have an all steel Body, something Dodge's rivals where quick to used in their advertising -(a wooden framed body just like a Dodge).There had been problems in the production of the Victory six's all steel body, delaying its launch. Was it a year or 18 mouths?The Senior was initially produced as a stop gape, to enable Dodge to compete in the Six cylinder market.

I understand that 1927 2249 Dodge Brothers Senior did not have an all steel Body, something Dodge's rivals where quick to used in their advertising -(a wooden framed body just like a Dodge).There had been problems in the production of the Victory six's all steel body, delaying its launch. Was it a year or 18 mouths?The Senior was initially produced as a stop gape, to enable Dodge to compete in the Six cylinder market.

Sure would be interesting to see where you read this, any idea where one might find this?

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to re-ignite this thread after so long .... but I have just managed to find another hardcover copy of "From Horse to Horsepower" by S. A. Cheney. --- previously described as "The best History of Dodge Brothers in Australia". If anyone wants it (Oz or US) let me know and we can work out some postage etc... I can get it for around $30 AU.

Sorry guys, but look on the bright side, at least it wont sit on someone dusty shelf for the next thirty years of no use to anyone except whomever owns it. More than happy to share is my point.

I have a T J Richards bodied 1930 roadster. I have never been able to find a chassis number or a body number on the vehicle. The Fedco plate (and radiator badge) had been removed prior to me getting the car remains.

The car did have DR 13 stamped (Burnt) into the main lengthwise piece of timber running the length of the body on the passenger (left) hand side. This was just under the seat.

Can anyone throw any light on this number please. Someone suggested this would possibly be a Richards reference number. ..... Dodge roadster no. 13.

Many thanks. Jim

Well that could explain my lack of a chassis number if that is the case.

For those who weren't as fast as Jason to get the book "From horse to horsepower" By S.A. Cheney which is a Bio of his life, according to the National Library of Australia, you can still get the chapter of the book that deals with his involvement with the Dodge Brothers automobile. According to the NLA, Chapter 6 is where he writes about the Dodge Brothers.

In 2009 I e/m'd them for info on how to get that info to me. For $13.20AU They e/m'd me that chapter. I printed out the chapter then saved it in my computer.

Caution: When I went back to get it, to forward to Jason later on, it wasn't there.

So if you go that route make sure you print it out right away.

BTW: it's 35 pages

Joe C.

No, you have a chasis number, the numbers were assigned before they were exported

Just had a thought. I would think bodies assembled in Australia were painted in Australia too?

If so, were different colours used to those on US Dodges?

Thats an excellent question that I am sure I could answer given the time and if no-one beats me to it, I seem to remember reading that they may have been shipped in prime-coat but there is no confirmation of this and I am not sure what side of my brain this is coming from.

Might be the B.S side :eek:

Could you please give me the URL for this post, I seem to remember making a reply for this and if I did not than I am ready to make one now. Thanks

For those who weren't as fast as Jason to get the book "From horse to horsepower" By S.A. Cheney which is a Bio of his life, according to the National Library of Australia, you can still get the chapter of the book that deals with his involvement with the Dodge Brothers automobile. According to the NLA, Chapter 6 is where he writes about the Dodge Brothers.

In 2009 I e/m'd them for info on how to get that info to me. For $13.20AU They e/m'd me that chapter. I printed out the chapter then saved it in my computer.

Caution: When I went back to get it, to forward to Jason later on, it wasn't there.

So if you go that route make sure you print it out right away.

BTW: it's 35 pages

Joe C.

Got to get up pretty early in the morning

Seriousely though, Lenny has confirmed the book is mine and I am gratefull for the opportunity to purchase, I have been looking and asking around for months.

Books are getting ridiculous in price

Could you please give me the URL for this post, I seem to remember making a reply for this and if I did not than I am ready to make one now. Thanks

I'm not sure how to do the URL thing but it is in this thread, page 2, post #27

I read on, but didn't see any direct reply to this post.

I have asked another Aussie who has a "Richards" DA and he hasn't got a number either. However, he cannot be 100% sure without sanding the area.

I see a pattern....

Would love to hear your thoughts! :)

No, you have a chasis number, the numbers were assigned before they were exported

I just saw this one. Damn page break...

But were they actually stamped? Maybe for some reason the Aust ones were left blank - perhaps something to do with regulations or importation red tape?

I'm groping in the dark here...:confused:

I wonder what the process was at your end? Were the Aust export vehicles made to order or were they pulled from "stock" so to speak?

So many questions...and I'm running my brain off with a total sample size of 3! What's that saying about "assuming"?:rolleyes:

Edited by Dodgy6 (see edit history)

I'm not sure how to do the URL thing but it is in this thread, page 2, post #27

I read on, but didn't see any direct reply to this post.

I have asked another Aussie who has a "Richards" DA and he hasn't got a number either. However, he cannot be 100% sure without sanding the area.

I see a pattern....

Would love to hear your thoughts! :)

If the vehicle chasis was imported in Aust. than there would have been a serial number assigned to it.

I cant give you at this point a clear breakdown on how exactly specific vehicles were deemed for exportation, or their manufacturing, I am under the impression that it was Chrysler of Canada that these vehicles were exported from but maybe someone here knows more about that.

The number that was stamped or burned into........... The car did have DR 13 stamped (Burnt) into the main lengthwise piece of timber running the length of the body on the passenger (left) hand side. This was just under the seat...........was as far as from what I have gathered placed there by the bodybuilder and as far as I know there is no listing that offers and explanation to its meaning

If the vehicle chasis was imported in Aust. than there would have been a serial number assigned to it.

I don't know of any early Dodges and Chryslers with Australian bodies that have a chassis numbers. Back in the day the vehicles were identified by the engine number. And oddly there are some Budd bodied Dodges that also don't have chassis numbers.

Most of us have to stamp a number on the chassis to get it registered these days.

I don't know of any early Dodges and Chryslers with Australian bodies that have a chassis numbers. Back in the day the vehicles were identified by the engine number. And oddly there are some Budd bodied Dodges that also don't have chassis numbers.

Most of us have to stamp a number on the chassis to get it registered these days.

Well now, I'm starting to feel a lot better about being numberless. At least I have an engine number!

Thankyou lozrocks :)

Guest clare30

G'day,

Concerning chassis numbers on T.J.Richards DA's. The chassis number believe it or not is located on a plate on the left hand side toe board of the front floor. I have searched for the number near the spring hanger to no avail. I have the original customer delivery record stating chassis number DA 111066 eng. H 132-418 body RR30113. The timber frame for the body also has DR 13 branded on the main body under seat and on all attached doors, dicky seat lid etc on bottom timber sections underneath.

We also own a very original fully imported DA Bud Sedan once again can find no number on chassis. The number is on a plate in the same location. Chassis # DA 114639. Were these plates asigned to each chassis from the factory perhaps for RHD export?

Will post pic,s looking for camera.

Just on another regards OZ Dodge bodies T.J.Richards were the main Dodge body supplier however TJR did not produce a Standard Six roadster body Holden did.

Regards Gary.

I have corresponded with several early Dodge owners over the years that own export vehicle with a Dodge chassis and the numbers were found stamped on the frame, first time to hear this

I could understand a chassis manufactured locally not having the number of course but well I guess there is always something else to think about.

Have a hard time at this point still believing there is no number but if Clare30 is the Gary I think he is than I have to admit that I may be wrong.

I have not had the privilege to know who lozrocks is at this time but I do know Gary is VERY thorough on things, Gary went waay out of his way to make me some very detailed sketches of a particular item that I needed many years ago and we corresponded for some time.

He went above and beyond what anyone might have expected most people to do and is in particular one of the reasons I recommend anyone looking for parts and info to contact a fellow Dodge owner in Australia cause you will prob. get more help than you asked for.

I wouldn't have a second thought with believing that there were no chassis numbers on some of these frames if Gary said there was no chassis number

Maybe thats what I get for posting definitive statements ;)

G'day,

Concerning chassis numbers on T.J.Richards DA's. The chassis number believe it or not is located on a plate on the left hand side toe board of the front floor. I have searched for the number near the spring hanger to no avail. I have the original customer delivery record stating chassis number DA 111066 eng. H 132-418 body RR30113. The timber frame for the body also has DR 13 branded on the main body under seat and on all attached doors, dicky seat lid etc on bottom timber sections underneath.

We also own a very original fully imported DA Bud Sedan once again can find no number on chassis. The number is on a plate in the same location. Chassis # DA 114639. Were these plates asigned to each chassis from the factory perhaps for RHD export?

Will post pic,s looking for camera.

Just on another regards OZ Dodge bodies T.J.Richards were the main Dodge body supplier however TJR did not produce a Standard Six roadster body Holden did.

Regards Gary.

Thank-you Gary and look forward to the pics

For all 4 cylinder Dodge Brothers cars, and the DA Six of 1929-1930. the chassis number was stamped in two locations :

1) Plate on the toe board

2) Frame right side member just to the rear of the front spring rear hanger.

The serial number was stamped on the chassis or plate at the factory that built the chassis. Whether or not a jurisdiction used the engine number for registration had absolutely no influence on where, or if, the chassis (serial) number was stamped on the frame. That decision was the original manufacturer s decision to make.

A Dodge DA six with a serial number starting with DA came from Detroit. Toronto and Windsor DA models had serial numbers starting with CDA. Toronto numbers were below CDA-3261 while Windsor numbers were CDA-3261 up to CDA-3769.

Cars using the FEDCO system had the serial number stamped only on the plate built into the instrument panel. And the only Dodge models using the FEDCO numbers were the DC, DD and DE.

After the FEDCO system was dropped (DF and later), the serial number was stamped onto the plate attached to the right front door hinge panel (suicide door models - DQ, DR, DRXX, DS - on the B pillar) and on the chassis frame under right front fender.

Bill

Toronto, ON

Edited by Chrycoman
spelling (see edit history)

Wow, lots of info in those last few posts! Great stuff. I'm really going to have to examine if I'm ever going to be able to register my DA some day.

I have some leg work to do.

Leg work done.............GREAT NEWS!

Dropped into the local cop shop and told my story. Lady behind the desk looked at me a bit bemused until I pulled out a pic of the DA sitting in the paddock in all her rust-bucket glory. She laughed and said,

"Thats just a pile of parts!"

Well, she went out back and made a few enquiries, came back, and said I will have no problems registering it when the time comes. So, when she is all purdy and shiney, I just have to get a "Surrogate" VIN # and its all good to be registered.

I still want to find out my chassis # though!

I've been stressing about this all day - now I'm happy as a fat spider! :D

Quote...........And the only Dodge models using the FEDCO numbers were the DC, DD and DE...........Now this is something I was un-sure of and had been wondering about for some time, knew it did not last long but the specific models carrying it were un-clear to me. Thanks

For all 4 cylinder Dodge Brothers cars, and the DA Six of 1929-1930. the chassis number was stamped in two locations :

1) Plate on the toe board

2) Frame right side member just to the rear of the front spring rear hanger......

Bill

Toronto, ON

Bill: You ALWAYS have some GREAT info to share here! Love that stuff. Could you enlighten me as to your Chrysler products background. How do you know all this stuff? There is some really diverse and typically unknown info that you offer up. Cool!

Thanks again! :)

Bill: You ALWAYS have some GREAT info to share here! Love that stuff. Could you enlighten me as to your Chrysler products background. How do you know all this stuff? There is some really diverse and typically unknown info that you offer up. Cool!

Thanks again! :)

Over the years I have collected old Branham (covering 1921 to 1960s), Red Book (1928-1942) and NADA Used Car Guides (from 1946). I also have similar publications for the Canadian market. As well I have the Serial Number Guide printed by Chrysler of Canada in 1957 which includes all American and Canadian production, including export, through to the beginning of 1957 production. The final 1957 parts book has the ending 1957 serial numbers.

The Serial Number Guide lists serial numbers by model code and the model year(s) according to the Engineering Department. The Engineering Department basically worked according to the calendar year, at least before the 1933 model year.

The Branham and NADA books give information according to the marketing department model years, which began in the summer or fall.

Thus I have been able to sort out the model years and their serial numbers. And this is for both cars and trucks.

Also have the Canadian parts books from the pre-1934 master books through to 1967 (missing 1938 and 1946-48) plus 1972-73 and 1980 through 1988. The Canadian edition usually covered Canadian, American and export models.

Also have an Australian book with all the makes imported and or sold in Australia with the models and serial numbers from 1926 through to 1961. Also have issues of Glass s Car Check Book covering 1932 through to the 1970s. These books list all the cars sold in Great Britain by make, model and model year with serial numbers.

And contrary to what some people believe, I have never worked for Chrysler.

Bill

Toronto, ON

Edited by Chrycoman
additional info (see edit history)