Sign in to follow this  
Povertycove

Manheim Gold Book, gone

The Manheim Gold (Gold Book) has been taken over by NADA. I miss its data base -- much deeper, it seemed to me, than NADA, where older cars are very hard, or impossible, to locate. All car value guides are suspect, and only valuable if you use some judgement, but the "relative" values given by the Gold Book were awfully useful.

Any other car value sites anyone can recommend?

With Manheim Gold now superceded by NADA, they only go back to 1926, and with nowhere near the levels of comparison -- also leaves out the cubic inch displacement for comparison to know that they are reporting the right car.

A BIG LOSS --- SURELY PROFIT MOTIVATED !!

I would like to know of other reliable on-line services

I find Haggerty's Cars That Matter to be excellent, sometimes I use NADA, Kelly Blue and occassionaly resort to Old Cars Price Guide, which has become super conservative over the years. It is a shame OCPG also dropped pre-1930's cars a while back. There is certainly room in the marketplace for a periodical guide that does all years. Whey OCPG covers cars up to 2002 is beyond, me that is information covered better by the used car price guides. I would trade the later car information for older cars in a heart beat.

IF I really want a good solid value, take, OCPG, CTM, KBB, and NADA. Look up the car in question, add all four values together and then average them. You will come up with a spot on value every time. It is amazing how much the four books vary from each other. Usually CTM is the highest and OCPG the lowests. So if you are buying use OCPG, and if you are selling use CTM. (Just kidding).

Hi, I can recommend a REALLY good resource for valuing classic cars. It's called Hi-Bid (Hi-Bid: The most accurate way to find out what your Collector Car is really worth today!) It's a massive online database with the results of EVERY major collector car auction in the world. You subscribe to it, but they are offering a 3 day free trial. With the way the market has changed getting up to the minute auction results is really the only way to get a true reading on what buyers are willing to pay - kinda like the housing market. Anyway, check it out.