installing rear main seal rope: 1934

Guest simonmeridew

Guest simonmeridew

I’m starting to assemble a complete rebuild of my 233 cid model 47 straight eight. The rear main seal has me a little mystified. I have the kit from Kantor with graphite ropes etc. I tried to put the rope in the groove in the block and corresponding groove in the cap, but the rope isn’t fat enough nor long enough. Looks like not the right place.

The next thing I tried was to put the rope one the 3/16 inch flat on the extreme rear of the block and corresponding flat on the cap. It seems to go there OK but not very stable. What do I do? Where does it go?

simonmeridew

Guest simonmeridew

Hi Joel:

I meant to take a pic of the rear main area and post it to find out some specifics, but I'm rrebuilding the motor at our local high school auto shop and can only get there to work on it on Fridays. so I won't have a pic for a week. But I like your idea. Did you put the rope in the groove on the block where the rim on the crankshaft would imbed into it when you put it together, or on the flat behind it? I'd like to get it right to minimize leaks later on.

Meanwhile I'll take some pics later this week and try to post them.

Thanks

simonmeridew

• 2 weeks later...
Guest frazer51

If you have a shop manual for your year of car be sure to look at the area where the rear seal would be. I believe the "rim" that you spoke of that is on the crank shaft is called a slinger. There is no seal at this area to interfer with the slinger. The rope seal would be located in a groove nearer the flywheel. The slinger is there to get rid of some of the oil before it gets to the seal, this is what I believe. Lots of luck. John.

Guest simonmeridew

I played with various setups of positions with the graphite rope and finally decided to put the gasket where you suggested, in the groove near the flywheel. We looked at the "slinger" area initially but it looked like there were some drain holes in the main cap for oil and I couldn't see why there would be holes to drain oil from an area that was sealed off, so I looked elsewhere. Also the ropes weren't long enough to put here. I took pics but they weren't especially useful because of confined space etc.

Anyway I think I've got it in the right place, now it's ready to take it back off for when I put the clutch stuff back on.

Now I'm ready to put rings on the new pistons and fit the new rod bearings to my crankshaft.

simonmeridew