Sign in to follow this  
Roger Walling

12 Volt power source for a 6Volt sys.?

Is there a device available to convert 6V. Neg. to 12V. Positive in order to run a modern radio and/or halogen headlights in a 55 Chrysler?<I don’t want to change the polarity of the car, as I want to be able to use the original radio also.<o:p></o:p>

It would be simpler if anyone knew where to buy 6V. halogen lights though.

(I would have to insulate the new radio, antenna and lights from the ground of course)

Roger,

There are two other power converters available. This system won't let me attach files to e-mails, so e-mail me directly for an article written about this. Also, Bill Hirsch Auto, Newark, NJ starting handling 6V halogen bulbs.

Concern I would have is the 12V halogen bulbs draw quite a bit of current at 12V and may exceed the capability of a 6-12 volt converter.

Chris

friartuck@monmouth.com

Edited by Friartuck
Added sentence (see edit history)

Thanks for the replys.

I owned a 55 Chrysler in 58 to 65 and used to have two 6 volt batterys to keep it starting.

I would like to keep the same system in my "new" 55 that I am now restoring but I keep getting advice that an alternator would be the best thing to do for my short driving times that I do..

I plan on increasing the 331ci to 354 if the bore is bad, and may raise the compression ratio up one point and I wonder if 6 volts will crank it?